University of Sheffield
Sheffield
KidA
redundant steel workers?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 3
Beekeeper
what do you call them?

I mean, you have londoners, brummies, Mancs, geordies, yorkies, liverpudlians and all the rest, but what do you call someone from Sheffield? :confused:

I'm not from Shef, but having lived at uni there with a native last year, I'd say there isn't one term. I tended to call the place Sheffi (rhyming with Steffi) so I'd say we should call them Sheffielders.
Northerners (and anyone else from the north).
Reply 5
sheffielders?

lol aint got a clue
Reply 6
hehe i've been using Sheffielders, but it sounds a bit... stupid.

I like the 'redundant steel workers' one :biggrin:
Reply 7
Beekeeper
hehe i've been using Sheffielders, but it sounds a bit... stupid.

I like the 'redundant steel workers' one :biggrin:

u callin me stupid :eek:

:frown:
My mate's mum went sheffield uni, and she said they're called Sheffielders (pronounced shef-ee-ul-ders).
Reply 9
Sheffielders is the proper term, though there's a slang term (haven't heard it used much myself) of 'dee-dars'.
DEEEEE DAAAAAAR DEEEEE DAAAAAR

Right, I'm from a village on the Yorkshire border, but I'm practically in Sheffield and consider myself a Sheffielder (pronounced as above) for way of explanation to people who don't come from anywhere near here. However, I support Rotherham United, and the general football banter comes that, people from Sheffield speak 'dee dar' hence above. Think of the stereotypical old man from Yorkshire, in Rotherham they would say;

What's tha doin thee?

In Sheffield this would translate to;

What's da doin dee?

Hence, 'dee dars' though it's mainly used as football banter than anything else.
***************************************************************************************************************************************

"Sheffs"
***************************************************************************************************************************************
not Chefs
Charlottie
Think of the stereotypical old man from Yorkshire.

Geoffrey Boycott.
i'd call them Sheffieldians...like curretnly i'm a Retfordian

kinda carries it on...
xXMessedUpXx
i'd call them Sheffieldians...like curretnly i'm a Retfordian

kinda carries it on...

Yeah I'd be a Sheffieldian too seeing as I'm a Mancunian. Well to be picky I'm actually Welsh, but I've lived in Manchester since I was 18 months so I'm a Mancunian really.

Although when it comes to rugby, NEVER call me English :biggrin:
Reply 16
Just did a random search on Wikipedia:

"People from Sheffield are called Sheffielders.

They are also colloquially known to people in Barnsley, Rotherham, Dronfield and Chesterfield as "Dee-dars" (which derives from their pronunciation of the "th" in the dialectal words "thee" and "thou")[1] although the term is in decline and is not nearly as prevalent as "Scouse" is for "Liverpudlian" or "Geordie" is for "Novocastrian"."

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously though, Dee dar?
I like it. Although it never occured to me that geordies are actually Novocastrians. I like that name.

We could do with one for Manchester. I should know this, but what's the Mancunian version of Geordies/Scousers/Deedars?
Reply 18
Guitarmarama
I like it. Although it never occured to me that geordies are actually Novocastrians. I like that name.

We could do with one for Manchester. I should know this, but what's the Mancunian version of Geordies/Scousers/Deedars?

huh? You mean mancs?
Beekeeper
huh? You mean mancs?

Sorta, but Mancs is actually short for Mancunian, whereas scouse (liverpudlian)/geordie (novocastrian)/deedar (sheffielder) dont seem to be related to their relative names... Does that make sense?

Latest

Trending

Trending