Turn on thread page Beta

Spreadsheet for university life budgeting watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's something I made for myself, and thought you may find useful.
    Just save yourself a copy and enter your own personal figures/expenditure you that best suit you/your situation, and gawp at how indebted you will be

Feel free to argue with my estimates on certain expenditures, e.g. I've never used a slotmachine laundry thing in my life. So I have no idea how a weekly wash is... :confused:

Just for your information, I'm going to be in London, catered halls first year, doing Geography (therefore field trips). Expected to get full London loan, HE Grant, and full help with tuition fees. Obviously the SLC loans are different for everyone.

The poll's just for me to see if this was helpful.
    Enjoy...

(See attached Winzipped Excel Spreadsheet at the bottom of this post)

There's also a much jazzed up uber-proffesional one which takes you through the steps if you prefer, but has is a bit more generalised...

(Original post by Anubis)
    Hey, not trying to be like a jerk or anything, but this should help you out:

Right click and "Save Target As" to download. It should basically tell you what you need to know with student finances.

Your spreadsheet is good btw, but it is too detailed. You have to remember that almost everyone has their own unique way of spending, what they spend cash on, etc, so you need to find common attributes that everyone can use.

Hope this helps.

My simpler version is just below \/
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip unibudgeting.zip (4.9 KB, 258 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepyeba)
    Here's something I've made for myself, and I thought some of you may find useful.
    It's quite fun entering some figures you that best suit yourself, and gawp at how indebted you will be

Notes etc are at the sides in case you don't see them.

Feel free to argue with my estimates on certain expenditures, e.g. I've never used a slotmachine laundry thing in my life. So I have no idea how a weekly wash is... :confused:

Just for your information, I'm going to be in London, catered halls first year, doing Geography (therefore field trips). Expected to get full London loan, HE Grant, and full help with tuition fees. Obviously the SLC loans are different for everyone.

The poll's just for me to see if this was helpful.
    Enjoy...

(Winzipped Excel Spreadsheet - couldn't attach .xls files)
    i had to say no for me (sorry) the thing is it seems pretty exhaustive (sp?), life haircut, being dependant on how fast your hair grows and stuff, and was a wee bit complicated!
    but, i think thats b/c it really doesn't apply to me i.e. the loan/ grant amount, and the fact that your studying in london. But no doubt it probably will be highly useful to you.

p.s. how do you set that all up on edexel!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    i had to say no for me (sorry) the thing is it seems pretty exhaustive (sp?), life haircut, being dependant on how fast your hair grows and stuff, and was a wee bit complicated!
    but, i think thats b/c it really doesn't apply to me i.e. the loan/ grant amount, and the fact that your studying in london. But no doubt it probably will be highly useful to you.
    p.s. how do you set that all up on edexel!?
    No need to apologise - I'm want to hear how I can help more
    Yeah, it is detailed, but all the little things add up. If you missed all the everyday things you wouldn't have a good picture of how much you need to save!

Of course everyone's budget is going to look different. That's why I put it in excel, so you can change the numbers and see what you get. (BTW, best to change the weekly figures - the other cells have formulas). Save a copy on your computer and it should let you edit it without the annoying pop-ups.

lol, it's a bit basic... I think you could probably do this with a GCSE in ICT?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the spreadsheet is going to be helpful for me when I hopefully join my uni next month. Thanks sleepyeba!

ReputationRep:
    No need to apologise - I'm want to hear how I can help more
    Yeah, it is detailed, but all the little things add up. If you missed all the everyday things you wouldn't have a good picture of how much you need to save!

Of course everyone's budget is going to look different. That's why I put it in excel, so you can change the numbers and see what you get. (BTW, best to change the weekly figures - the other cells have formulas). Save a copy on your computer and it should let you edit it without the annoying pop-ups.

lol, it's a bit basic... I think you could probably do this with a GCSE in ICT?

lol yeah its a basic thing but i didn't do IT for the GCSE 2 course (i did do IT for the key stages tho - but really didn't pay much attention, i used to be able to do it but i've forgotten now lol)

oh yeah, if i can change the data, then yeah its cool and pretty useful ( but it won't let me change my choice now)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the spreadsheet im sure it will be useful!

ReputationRep:
    sleepyeba....quick question even though this is probably the rong place.

but the mega bus £2.50 (in your spreadsheet) thats the bus fair rite???? is it really that cheap cuz im going to london and im gonna visit my grand parents in bradford so train is probably gonna be expensive. how much would it cost for london bradford return?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospector60)
    sleepyeba....quick question even though this is probably the rong place.

but the mega bus £2.50 (in your spreadsheet) thats the bus fair rite???? is it really that cheap cuz im going to london and im gonna visit my grand parents in bradford so train is probably gonna be expensive. how much would it cost for london bradford return?
    Yes, the firgures right! (But when it's very busy, e.g. Wimbledom etc, prices go up of course, butit's still around £10.) It's pretty shocking that could cost more to travel around in Leeds than from Leeds to London :eek:

Unfortunately I don't think Megabus travel to bradford....
    http://www.megabus.com/stops/

You'd have to get to Leeds somehow first. It'd still probably work out cheaper (though it'd be a hell of a day's journey, if you could stand it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Latayah)
    lol yeah its a basic thing but i didn't do IT for the GCSE 2 course (i did do IT for the key stages tho - but really didn't pay much attention, i used to be able to do it but i've forgotten now lol)

oh yeah, if i can change the data, then yeah its cool and pretty useful ( but it won't let me change my choice now)
    (Original post by <A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>)
    Yes, the spreadsheet is going to be helpful for me when I hopefully join my uni next month. Thanks sleepyeba!
    (Original post by prospector60)
    thanks for the spreadsheet im sure it will be useful!
    I'm glad it was useful. I'm thinking of putting up a better one... making it easier to edit etc. Watch this space...

ReputationRep:

Right click and "Save Target As" to download. It should basically tell you what you need to know with student finances.

Your spreadsheet is good btw, but it is too detailed. You have to remember that almost everyone has their own unique way of spending, what they spend cash on, etc, so you need to find common attributes that everyone can use.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anubis)

Hope this helps.
    Indeed, I have met my match . I'll post it at the top...

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I have met my match . I'll post it at the top...

i think this is a nice thing that you are doing btw

going out of ur way to help other people!

ReputationRep:
    ^^and herself.

...I find it far to complicated. I'm a simpleton, which is why I stuck to Arts subjects . I find I do the maths in my head. I round up to the nearest 5 pounds/euros anyway for all spending I do; thus I save a fair bit inadvertantly at the end of each week.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.