N/A
Last edited by username403030; 2 years ago
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just get LOTS OF PRACTICE.
I always find it much easier to reverse park. Actually, I passed my test two years ago and until recently I hadn't reverse parked since my driving lessons! But then I tried it one day and... haven't looked back since. LOL.
Sooo yeah, practice makes perfect
kidrock22
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
this is why im doing my lessons in a astra and i plan on buying a corsa because everything is the same

every car is really different its weird but try to get as much practice go to quiet places and practice but try not to bump anything lol gd luck
LittleBill
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bay parking or parallel?

For bays say its on the right, go over to the right and then turn hard left as you get to it so that you're at like 45 degree to the space. That will make the reversing a whole lot easier.

Parallel, it just takes practice and getting used to your car really.
Foulish
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by echelonaw)
Sorry for posting a kinda pointless thread but please hear me out. I passed my driving test about a week ago and could do any parking maneuvers - no problem. However, I learnt with the AA and drove in a ford focus, but now I drive a nissan micra and I can't seem to park it at all! It's getting to the point that my sister has to park the car for me because I always end up all over the place!
Has anyone got any tips on how to park both by reversing and going 'front first' ?
If you can't go in front ways, do a parallel park, the way your instructor told you with the left 1.5, right .5, left 1.5 system. (I think that right :P)

For my first 6 months driving I couldn't get into bays properly, it was allways me over/underesimating how far the car will turn. It used to take me 5 minutes to get in and get myself straight. Now I just turn the wheel and I end up miraculously in the bay

Its a case of practise I'm afraid. Once you get used to your cars dimensions (Sounds silly?) you should be fine.
BackDoorEntry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The AA car is not really a good car to learn in unless you're gonna be driving a similar car.
ginger.with.envy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im completely the same,well i can do the whole drive in to a space, reverse out. but i completely freak when it comes to reverse parking and parallel. and end up asking guys to do it for me...
i think its something to do with learning in a normal car, and my car not having power steering (cos it is well goood innit)
just get in loads of practice in a place with no cars to go into and you'll get used to it im doing that and im getting there
analk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sorry for posting a kinda pointless thread but please hear me out. I passed my driving test about a week ago and could do any parking maneuvers - no problem. However, I learnt with the AA and drove in a ford focus, but now I drive a nissan micra and I can't seem to park it at all! It's getting to the point that my sister has to park the car for me because I always end up all over the place!
Has anyone got any tips on how to park both by reversing and going 'front first' ?
just keep practicing... and be in control of the car dont let it be in control of you... you want to get as close to the curb as possible so if your parking on the right move your car to the right if its wide reverse a little whilst havin one turn on the steering wheel(or something similar) hold it for 3secs(slowly reverse) then put it back in to first and turn one to the right to get wheels straight agen (oh an use your mirrors if u need 2).
one to one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The AA car is not really a good car to learn in unless you're gonna be driving a similar car.
It's not the car, it's the method that the instructor has taught it.

If the method is car/model specific, then there is likely to be a problem in a different car/model

If the method is not car/model specific, then there is unlikely to be a problem.

one to one
Impreza18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If it helps ive been driving 2 years almost, learnt in a 207 and my current car is bigger than that. I cant do tight paralell parks unless the space is at least length and 3/4 of my car. I rarely need to reverse bay park but parking normally is easy.
BackDoorEntry
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by one to one)
It's not the car, it's the method that the instructor has taught it.

If the method is car/model specific, then there is likely to be a problem in a different car/model

If the method is not car/model specific, then there is unlikely to be a problem.

one to one
When learning to drive a car you really just settle on a car and focus on getting every wheel turn precisely correct. The difference between a micra and ford focus is quite large and noticeable.

On the micra its usually turn the steering wheel to full lock. With the focus its only like 1 and a half turns
The Procrastinator
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To parallel reverse park try, one turn left, one turn right, another turn right, one turn left. Bang on. Doesn't seem to work as well in a none power steering though haha
Brince
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Goto youtube and look at the videos there ^^
kog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is getting out and pushing it into place, a bad bit of advice?
balloon_parade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ooh I have a micra! :five:

I was a bit worried about parking but as it is such a small car it isn't too bad and you'll get used to it in a snap. When I first passed I just parked in really quiet areas of the car parks and then built my confidence from there. If there is a retail park near you why not go when it is quiet just have a few goes?

Just take your time and keep practising!
AnonyMatt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by balloon_parade)
Ooh I have a micra! :five:
Go go micra team! :five:

I'm learning in a... well.. it's a silver car... and it's big...
I really don't know what it is.

Anyway, I've been driving my micra for a few weeks now and nothing is the same. NOTHING.

As people have been saying, you just have to get used to the differences in size and steering.

Go to a car park you know will be empty and pick a bay to try and get into. Ask a friend/relative to take their car and go park somewhere quiet for you to parallel park behind it.
meganeira
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah I'm having the same problems to be honest.
My car (Skoda Fabia - don't laugh) is a petrol and is completely different to the diesel Peugeot 307 I was learning on. It's taken a while to get used to. I only passed last week too!
Parallel parking's okay, but it's a bit messy. I haven't attempted bay parking yet, and dreading it. I sort of tried to when I took my car into the garage to get some work done, but one of the mechanics came out and said they'd do it because I was making such a meal out of it! :sigh:
I keep being told that the only way to improve is to practice and gain experience. Just remember there are a lot of us struggling!
Jingers
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Focal points.
C274
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If it's any consolation, I can't reverse into a bay or parallel park in my mum's car either. Did it absolutely fine in my instructor's but because they're totally different cars, I don't have the confidence to try. I can drive forward into spaces and shoogle it about and all that. I just need to practise.

(Original post by kog)
Is getting out and pushing it into place, a bad bit of advice?
Yes. Unless it's a Peel P50.
jane77
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi i had a chance to try a Micra for a test date that was last minute cancellation and needed to hire a car for it. it turned out to be micra although i usually had my driving lessons in Peugeot. So to cut the story short i had practised parallel parking and left corner reverse on the Micra for the first time which i found really really really different in terms of reference points....here what i have experienced:

for parallel parking: when you level your car next to the one you need to reverse behind (the parked car) keep going back slowly until the middle pillar between the two passenger windows i.e. the pillar between the front and back windows of the passenger side, becomes level with either the front or the back of the parked car depending on the position it is parked in. this is your point of full left lock turn which you maintain until you reach the position of two o'clock or 45 degree angle. then you straighten up your wheel and keep going back until the kerb becomes in the middle of the arch of the back wheel as you see it in the mirror. this is the point of the right turn full lock until the wheels appear parallel tot eh kerb in the left side mirror this is when you need to straighten up your wheels again.

For reverse around a corner the reference point of the full lock to the left is when the back of your car appears parallel with the first brick of the kerb which starts to bend in other words parallel to the beginning of the kerb when it starts to bend. maintain your distance from the kerb by looking through the side mirror and make sure either to add or take away locks to adjust your position as you drive around the bend.

i do hope this is helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.72%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.3%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.72%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.74%
Financial worries (46)
6.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.81%

Watched Threads