Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyonwe here knew what the Dalton Ellis Halls at Manchester Uni are like. I was just flicking thru the stuff they sent me and this seems like the nicest in the brochure but I was looking for a proper opinion.

Thanx xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prada_princess)
    I was wondering if anyonwe here knew what the Dalton Ellis Halls at Manchester Uni are like. I was just flicking thru the stuff they sent me and this seems like the nicest in the brochure but I was looking for a proper opinion.

Thanx xx
    If you tell me what road and area its on I will be able to tell you a lot about the area. I know quite a lot about Manchester having lived here for 21 years.

ReputationRep:
    The halls on Oxford Road seem rather good huh amazingtrade? You can see into them from double decker buses going past, and there an awful lot of double decker buses on Oxford Road :P

ReputationRep:
    Its the accomodation in Victoria Park area. From the map its difficult to tell but its on either Anson Rd or Conyngham Rd

Thanx xx

ReputationRep:
    Its the accomodation in Victoria Park area. From the map its difficult to tell but its on either Anson Rd or Conyngham Rd

Thanx xx
    The victoria park area is not the best area in terms of student night life as its a bit out of the main Oxford/Wilmslow Road corridor. I think Victoria Park comes under Longsight which is not the nicest part of Manchester. The university halls I have been in though in Victoria Park have been nice and the was very tight security. Its probably a bit quiter and a bit less hectic that the ones int he main student part.

Fishpaste - Did you know Oxford Road is the busiest bus route in Europe? It makes the most popular London services seem very poor.

ReputationRep:
    Which area would you recommend then amazingtrade? I dont wanna be somewhere really quiet.

Also i was going to take my car with me, thing is its v expensive, do you reckon it woud be safe in a student car park round there? I've been advised from other students not to bother takin it cos it would get vandalised and cos i prob wouldn't need it that much. i just thought well, it could get vandalised anywhere, right? what do ya think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Fishpaste - Did you know Oxford Road is the busiest bus route in Europe? It makes the most popular London services seem very poor.
    I did, I'm a bit of a manc geek too. I've figured out getting down Oxford Road to a 'tee.' Don't get magic buses. Try for a single decker. Avoid the 43. If it's that busy, give up and walk it. Me and my friends once had a competition, walking vs. bus, walking won =P

ReputationRep:
    Also i was going to take my car with me, thing is its v expensive, do you reckon it woud be safe in a student car park round there? I've been advised from other students not to bother takin it cos it would get vandalised and cos i prob wouldn't need it that much. i just thought well, it could get vandalised anywhere, right? what do ya think?
    No kidding, if you take your car you won't be ABLE to use it, wouldn't want to use it, and you'll be paying a shitload for parking if you even find it. Manchester is a very compact city, it's a planned layout unlike London/Birmingham, you can walk across it without too much stress, if you're lazy there are trams every few mins, and about 5 buses a minute go between the university and St. Peter's Square/Picadilly areas.

Ask yourself this question, where would you drive with your car? Because I pretty much guarantee the car route doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    The Victoria park area is not exactly quiet but its just quieter than the Oxford Area which to excuse my manc slang "buzzin".

Fish is right about the car, you will pay £5 a day just to park and there is no where you can't get public transport too. Manchester really is an anti car city which explains why only 43% of the population of Manchester has a car. There is simply no need unless you need it for work thats the only reason my dad has one.

I get the buses every where they are about every 3 minutes were I live (in chorlton). As for walking I walk round the city centre but if I have to go to say to city centre to Fallowfeild I will get the bus.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is definitely not a good city for cars... especially as there's nowhere to park. My parents usually refuse to drive us into the city centre, they hate it so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Manchester is definitely not a good city for cars... especially as there's nowhere to park. My parents usually refuse to drive us into the city centre, they hate it so much.
    Lol the same here, my dad actually refuses to do jobs in the city centre unless they provide him with a free parking space with very easy access to the building.

It always make me laugh the amount of cars slowly crawling along Deansgate with just one person in them. I live 4 miles away form the city centre and it only takes me 25 mins to get to city centre from leaving my house (on bus) it would take much longer by car as it takes 10 minutes just to find a parking space.

ReputationRep:
    I live a bit further out than that (Tameside), but it only takes me 15 minutes on the train. I avoid the buses if I can help though.

We went down the saturday after christmas and we had to drive round for an hour to find a parking space. Crawling for definitely the word.Then we had to pay £3.70 for it. Definitely should have got the train.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Fallowfield in Manchester I live in Oak House and I can't really fault it for Student Accomodation; its cheap, has self catering, and Internet Access; infact its great.

Also Wilmslow Road is just full of brilliant pubs.

I hope to stay there another year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    I live in Fallowfield in Manchester I live in Oak House and I can't really fault it for Student Accomodation; its cheap, has self catering, and Internet Access; infact its great.

Also Wilmslow Road is just full of brilliant pubs.

I hope to stay there another year.
    Just out of interest have you had a problem with muggings or do you think the people that get mugged indirectly ask for it?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had a problem with muggings (however I've just been there for the first semester so I can't really say) However I have come back pretty drunk and loud abusive and making a general prat out of myself and amazed that I made it home with my wallet and phone.

I also finish work at about 10:30 every night and I haven't seen anything dodgy going on yet.

Early days though.

I don't think people who get mugged indirectly ask for it; its just there are alot of ******* ***** out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    I haven't had a problem with muggings (however I've just been there for the first semester so I can't really say) However I have come back pretty drunk and loud abusive and making a general prat out of myself and amazed that I made it home with my wallet and phone.

I also finish work at about 10:30 every night and I haven't seen anything dodgy going on yet.

Early days though.

I don't think people who get mugged indirectly ask for it; its just there are alot of ******* ***** out there.
    What I don't get is that everybody I have spoken to have said they haven't been mugged yet if you look in the reporter there is muggings nearly everyday in Fallowfeild.

ReputationRep:
    Where do ya work Murphysmoment?

My mum still insists I get cabs home if I goto the academy as she's convinced that I'll get murdered around there. She doesn't understand it's way safer if I walk straight out,onto a bus, and then get a cab from Victoria station etc.

ReputationRep:
    I work in the Sainsburys in Fallowfield; its a crappy job but I have to do it!

Yeah I don't get these muggings either; ok I usually stagger down the Wilmslow Road to Oak House so I haven't seen anything but to be honest it doesn't seem dangerous at all.

There has been a few fires and an alleged rape in Owens Park but thats it.

I've heard of no one being mugged.

However everyone in work goes on and on about how I've got to be careful going home from Sainsburys late at night.

Its mad to be honest; its still early days and I don't want to sound arrogant but I think the muggings in Fallowfield are overrated.

Don't hold me to that though.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 7, 2004

University open days

1. University of Manchester
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.