Studying 15 hours a day, Sleeping 3 Hours. Good or bad? Watch

YellowDucksOnBlueSocks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wow, I wish I cared that much.

I usually get up at 8.30ish then start at 10am. I usually get distracted when I take breaks (yesterday I watched Gladiator) and then give up around tea time.

Today, I aim to concentrate...so I should really get off here!

But yes, I think you owe it to your brain to get some good and regular sleep.
py0alb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you study hard (no headphones, no tv, no internet, no texting) for 6 separate 45 minute periods each day with half hour breaks in between, you will do approximately three times as much work as the average student.

As a comparison, my housemate studied for 12-15 hours a day in the uni library, whilst I studied for 4-5 hours a day in the town library where there were no distractions. I consistently got more done than him on a daily basis, it wasn't even close.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aim to work for 16 hours (you'll end up working about 12), and sleep for 6 hours. Use the other 2 hours for needed breaks, for example 45 minutes over dinner and 30minutes for a shower, and 45 minutes for other crap you feel like doing.

(Original post by py0alb)
Uh you find that sort of routine works for you? 45minutes is not enough time to get barely anything done, and why do you need a break every 45 minutes anyway, and for 30minutes as well :facepalm2: I guess what ever works for you. But its best to aim for more because some people are more productive than others. I get way more work done than 4-5 hours a day, indeed usually 9-12 hours at least.
Billinge1991
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by devilbornangel)
Studying 15 hours a day, Sleeping 3 Hours. Good or bad?
Um...how bout studying how much you should be sleeping! Lol...but seriously...

Besides the sleep issue... Studying that much is bound to cause eye strain. :o:

Thatcher slept for 4 hours a night and she went mental. Here's a quick (and true) fact I picked up from one of my psychology lectures; a cow sleeps for 4 hours a day :P:

Is it because stress is disturbing your sleep or is it purposefull? If you're a still growing teen you should have at least 10hours sleep (we need more sleep than adults so we can grow). If it IS stress rather than self-inficted, try kalms, they work a treat for me. Or naturasleep. I used have real trouble sleeping, so I KNOW these are great!

Hope this helps

Em x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My life on study leave: 8 hours sleep, 10-14 hours revising, depending on how close the exam is, then the remainder of the time relaxing - going for a walk or the gym or just watching tv. 15 hours of studying isn't the bad part of your 'plan' - it's only using three of the remaining nine hours for sleep that's ridiculous.
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
4th may was my 21st... i was in the library at 6am!! - think i deserve extra marks just for that!

well... so far this week
monday - library 6am - 3pm
tuesday - work all morning at home library 3pm - 7pm
wed - library 6am - 8pm - then pub quiz, got home 11pm then did revision, went to sleep 1 am listening to myself reading my revision notes (recorded them my mum reckons it works )
today - 6am library till exam at 1pm - 2.30 - return to library attempt to finish research proposal before 6pm
tomorrows plan - library 6am - 5pm (when my bf gets home from work)
weekend - revision
monday - revision
tuesday - last exam - rag social - very drunk

sometimes alot of work and a lack of sleep is needed...
longest time spent at uni - 36 hours woo 24 hour library
x
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Aim to work for 16 hours (you'll end up working about 12), and sleep for 6 hours. Use the other 2 hours for needed breaks, for example 45 minutes over dinner and 30minutes for a shower, and 45 minutes for other crap you feel like doing.

Uh you find that sort of routine works for you? 45minutes is not enough time to get barely anything done, and why do you need a break every 45 minutes anyway, and for 30minutes as well :facepalm2: I guess what ever works for you. But its best to aim for more because some people are more productive than others. I get way more work done than 4-5 hours a day, indeed usually 9-12 hours at least.

Possibly because all scientific research shows that the human brain is incapable of concentrating on one task for any longer than 45 minutes: if you carry on for any longer you will just forget what you were doing at the start. Effectively you're just wasting your time.

Your breaks should be at least half as long as you just worked for, so your brain has chance to process all the information you just fed it. This is why its utterly pointless revising when you're tired. Seriously, go look it up if you don't believe me.

I guarantee I could get more done in 4-5 spread out hours than you could in 9-10 working continuously. My housemate and I did the same course, and had the exact same debate. Everytime we discussed what we had revised in the evening, it was clear that he had already forgotten half of it, whereas i could remember every method I had learnt with precision. He got a 2:2, I got a 1st.

Can't get anything done in 45 minutes? Are you kidding me? I finished most of my exams in about that time.
MadameBonheur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Very bad
HARRY PUTAH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

not good enough.

You need to study harder for your sleep exam.
tina2010
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
4th may was my 21st... i was in the library at 6am!! - think i deserve extra marks just for that!

well... so far this week
monday - library 6am - 3pm
tuesday - work all morning at home library 3pm - 7pm
wed - library 6am - 8pm - then pub quiz, got home 11pm then did revision, went to sleep 1 am listening to myself reading my revision notes (recorded them my mum reckons it works )
today - 6am library till exam at 1pm - 2.30 - return to library attempt to finish research proposal before 6pm
tomorrows plan - library 6am - 5pm (when my bf gets home from work)
weekend - revision
monday - revision
tuesday - last exam - rag social - very drunk

sometimes alot of work and a lack of sleep is needed...
longest time spent at uni - 36 hours woo 24 hour library
x
U did 36 hrs of continuous study without any sleep??????
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if i dont get 9 hours sleep minimum, Im not physically capable of doing my work.
Broderss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So bad you've took 6 hours off the Earth's rotation
x-pixie-lottie-x
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tina2010)
U did 36 hrs of continuous study without any sleep??????
well the continuousness studyness is questionable... i was definately awake that long... but....
i went to vending machines a few times,and went to the shop for dinner
about 3 am i discovered there were people i know on the floor above me in the library so i poped to say hello and shared with them my chocolate raisins, ...
oh and a few toilet breaks

but other than that yep! it was painful, going home after was soooo nice...popped facemask on had the nicest shower iv had in my entire life! had take away and then had the best sleeps ever!!
x
Livesindreams
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What ya doing in the extra 6 hours?
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I've even done 15 hours of studying in my life.
DON'T DO IT!!
Sophia_And_Me
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you'll faint in the end. you have to sleep at least 5-6 hours.
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you need to ask whether sleeping for three hours is bad for you or not, then tbh, you're one of the very few people who actually needs to study 15 hours a day o.0
Revolution is my Name
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's all very well planning to do that much, but, given that you've probably got to needing such a position to laziness, then it seems highly doubtful you'd actually manage it.
69Crazyfists
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Clearly bad.

But then again if you are stupid enough to do it, it's possible you are stupid enough to not realise it's stupid.
analk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how the heck do you manage that I can barely concentrate for an hour! if I could do that I think it would be good cuz at least I would no something of something than nothing of something.(if you get my drift)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (250)
66.67%
No (125)
33.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed