The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have no idea why you would want to do this. I'm presuming you are ignoring anulments.

You could renew wedding vows, but i fail to see any point at all in registering the marriage twice, it serves no purpose?
Reply 2
NW86
I have no idea why you would want to do this. I'm presuming you are ignoring anulments.

You could renew wedding vows, but i fail to see any point at all in registering the marriage twice, it serves no purpose?

lol well its a long story but we basically dont want his family to know we got married already and never told them. yea its a cowards way out to try and register twice but his family are true psychos! any chance its not illegal to register twice? even if it means registering in a different country??
n its bin far too long since we got married to get an annulment unfortunately
Reply 3
esha24
lol well its a long story but we basically dont want his family to know we got married already and never told them. yea its a cowards way out to try and register twice but his family are true psychos! any chance its not illegal to register twice? even if it means registering in a different country??
n its bin far too long since we got married to get an annulment unfortunately

Hmmmm interesting :biggrin:

I'm sure there are people who have been in the same situation before, there must be a way around it! Best bet may be to contact a registry office and ask them outright, I'm sure it wont be the first time they have been asked :smile:
Surely if you do it a second time you are just renewing your vows?
Reply 5
thunder_chunky
Surely if you do it a second time you are just renewing your vows?

nah we need the actual marriage certificate - if they see the current one they'll know the date we got married and if we get divorced then re-married we'll have to declare 'divorced' on our form! aahh!! but yea think i'll just ask the registry office. lol ure from mauritius - his parents r in mauritius too so was thinkin of just registering again over there and hoping the office will never find out we registered in england lol xx
Reply 6
NW86
Hmmmm interesting :biggrin:

I'm sure there are people who have been in the same situation before, there must be a way around it! Best bet may be to contact a registry office and ask them outright, I'm sure it wont be the first time they have been asked :smile:

lol yea thats gud advice i think ill do that :yes: thanks
esha24
nah we need the actual marriage certificate - if they see the current one they'll know the date we got married and if we get divorced then re-married we'll have to declare 'divorced' on our form! aahh!! but yea think i'll just ask the registry office.

Seems like the best course of action. Best to enquire before actually doing these things.

lol ure from mauritius -

I'm not actually from Mauritius. I did live there for a short while though.

his parents r in mauritius too so was thinkin of just registering again over there and hoping the office will never find out we registered in england lol xx

I wouldn't recommend it. I'd do it by the book if I were you.
Seeing as you're already married it's probably illegal, even if you're marrying the same person. Why do they need to see your marriage certificate?!
You sound like a child playing with marriage :/

Just man up and come clean and invite your in-laws to a renewing of your vows? Lie get you nowhere.
Reply 10
snoogy
You sound like a child playing with marriage :/

Just man up and come clean and invite your in-laws to a renewing of your vows? Lie get you nowhere.

u dont know my in-laws lol.. lyings bad yea but hell at least it keeps me n ma hub alive!!
Reply 11
GapYearGirl
Seeing as you're already married it's probably illegal, even if you're marrying the same person. Why do they need to see your marriage certificate?!

yea it probably is illegal tbh - think it was just wishful thinking on my behalf lol. hindu priests in the country im from need to see your certificate before they perform the religious ceremony and all these kind of things are done in a stupid asian way in a room full of your entire family and the last thing i would need is for some idiot to notice the date on the cert in front of a room full of people. thanks anyway xx
You can prove your divorce to a judge if over a period of time you have not been able to track down an estranged partner. You are granted divorce.
Reply 13
esha24
ok sounds a but random and crazy i know but is it possible to get register a marriage twice to the same person without getting divorced first with both being registered in england? is it illegal? thanks :smile: x

Definitely, you would be arrested if the police finds out
Reply 14
i know youre hindu but in a church you get married and then go of to the side to sign the regiter so you would talk to the vicar to take you off and sign a random piece of paper with wittnesses that know youre married, dont know if that would work for you though
Reply 15
Why do they have to see your wedding certificate?
esha24
ok sounds a but random and crazy i know but is it possible to get register a marriage twice to the same person without getting divorced first with both being registered in england? is it illegal? thanks :smile: x

You can do it but you have to ask the registrar beforehand to not file the new licence and then you have one to show the in-laws but in the eyes of the law you only married once.
esha24
yea it probably is illegal tbh - think it was just wishful thinking on my behalf lol. hindu priests in the country im from need to see your certificate before they perform the religious ceremony and all these kind of things are done in a stupid asian way in a room full of your entire family and the last thing i would need is for some idiot to notice the date on the cert in front of a room full of people. thanks anyway xx

So the religious ceremony is separate to the legal wedding? I mean, even if you weren't married already would you have a separate civil wedding to make it official legally and then the religious ceremony afterwards?

If that's the case then why not speak to the priest beforehand and explain the situation. Maybe you could just show him the certificate privately before the ceremony. Then the family wouldn't have a chance to see the certificate.

Would it be so bad if they found out you were already married if you're still having the ceremony with them there?

Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
GapYearGirl
So the religious ceremony is separate to the legal wedding? I mean, even if you weren't married already would you have a separate civil wedding to make it official legally and then the religious ceremony afterwards?

If that's the case then why not speak to the priest beforehand and explain the situation. Maybe you could just show him the certificate privately before the ceremony. Then the family wouldn't have a chance to see the certificate.

Would it be so bad if they found out you were already married if you're still having the ceremony with them there?

Good luck :smile:

yea we have to register first then the religious one is done after. i like ure idea of talking to the priest before though...that might work :yep:
its not so much the ceremony they wanna be there for, its the fact that we didnt tell them about the civil one that they would be mad about (n trust me their anger is kinda off the scale lol) but ill def try talking 2 the priest 1st, thanks hun xx :smile:
Reply 19
Jennie1987
You can do it but you have to ask the registrar beforehand to not file the new licence and then you have one to show the in-laws but in the eyes of the law you only married once.

hmm not too sure how this would work but it sure sounds like a good idea! ill ask a registrar if this is possible coz if it is it would make things sooo much easier - i never really thought it about getting an unofficial licence...hmmm... thanks hun :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending