Turn on thread page Beta

Is this person being really rude, or am I over reacting? watch

ReputationRep:
    Talking to someone over MSN, I was telling them about how every year we go on 'retreat'. He asked me to explain, and I told him it was a religious retreat where they try and get us to understand our religion, and getting in touch with it. It's not like they force it on us, but they try and make it sorta fun, to make a day out of it (plus during meditation you can have a little kip hehe). Anyway, when I told him all this, he said 'what a load of crap'. I was slightly offended by this, I mean I'm not really that in touch with my religion and I hardly go to church, but I don't think it was really his place to judge it, I mean this boy doesn't understand anything about any religion. Yes I understand people have free will etc and can say what they like about any religion but I don't think he has the right to say whether or not it's crap, it's not like he's been on this retreat or probably even stepped foot in a church. I don't know why I'm so annoyed at his comment, I mean as I said I'm not religious... also this is coming from a boy who cannot spell.

ReputationRep:
    Religion will always be a debated issue.
    Those who don't understand fully will always question the philosophy behind it.
    He is probably naive and afraid of the fact you are doing something that he can't participate in.
    Don't look at it as rude, but try to explain why its important to you.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest, some people are just like that and it's just not constrained to religion. People do it with types of music they havn't listened to, films they havn't seen and books they havn't read, along with alot of other things.
    I don't know why you feel you need to place quite alot of emphasis on the fact your not religious doesn't really matter either way if you are or not.

ReputationRep:
    they offered this at my school and hardly anyone went because thats what we all said but he could of been a little more 'subtle' saying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    I don't know why you feel you need to place quite alot of emphasis on the fact your not religious doesn't really matter either way if you are not.
    Well the fact that I'm not that religious and I've acted this way shows maybe subconsciously that maybe I am in touch with my religion? I'm so unsure. But this isn't the first time he's made comments about religion before. What, let me rephrase that, my religion. And each time he does it always annoys me and makes me think of him as slightly... ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you have an inclination towards an idea of god. To me religion and the issue of existance of god , are seperate even though inextricably linked. I mean you don't have to be a Biologist to understand that Biology exists. Religion in it self is just a set discipline for ones life, just like deciding to be a biologist, you conform to a set of rules and standards regarding a subject, in this case it would be the idea of god. Some people like activities that have foundations in a religion just because of the social environment, support, activities and the people it brings you into contact with. While others make a decision to live their lives by the constructs and rules for life of a religion, it's entirely your own choice.
    People don't have to agree with your choices, or even be complementary about them, if this person gets to you that much maybe you should avoid talking about religious activities until you feel more comfortable with the answers you are going to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    I guess you have an inclination towards an idea of god. To me religion and the issue of existance of god , are seperate even though inextricably linked. I mean you don't have to be a Biologist to understand that Biology exists. Religion in it self is just a set discipline for ones life, just like deciding to be a biologist, you conform to a set of rules and standards regarding a subject, in this case it would be the idea of god. Some people like activities that have foundations in a religion just because of the social environment, support, activities and the people it brings you into contact with. While others make a decision to live their lives by the constructs and rules for life of a religion, it's entirely your own choice.
    People don't have to agree with your choices, or even be complementary about them, if this person gets to you that much maybe you should avoid talking about religious activities until you feel more comfortable with the answers you are going to get.
    Alot of what you've said has made sense and made me see... err, sense lol. I think being brought up religious might have made me slightly more tolerable than him, not saying that all athetists are this way, but just in this case with him. To be honest, half the time he brings up the topic of religion, asking questions, probably out of curiousity. Another comment he made was 'what's the big deal with the pope'? Man, he had a lot of catholics down on him like a ton of bricks then.

don't let it bother you

ReputationRep:
    gut reation would be that it sounds rude, and i wouold have been annoyed, but would let the feeling pass and forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    msn -> block +delete and retreat
    (*sigh* as yo-less said dont bother...it sounds brill...shuldnt really bother abt wot some1 on msn says ¬_¬ )

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.