How much would you spend for accomodation for one year?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
lilsunflower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm thinking of choosing a catered ensuite single room. I'm willing to pay up to 5000p.a. for accomodation but I'm just hoping I get my ensuite single room

How about everyone else? Are ensuite single rooms (they are about 4000p.a.) in very high demand? Sorry if I sound totally ignorant, coz' I'm not from the UK and just dont know these kinda things.
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
I'm thinking of choosing a catered ensuite single room. I'm willing to pay up to 5000p.a. for accomodation but I'm just hoping I get my ensuite single room

How about everyone else? Are ensuite single rooms (they are about 4000p.a.) in very high demand? Sorry if I sound totally ignorant, coz' I'm not from the UK and just dont know these kinda things.
The maximum loan is £4000 plus fees paid, so I would guess an average student spends £3000 or less on accomodation. At the moment, mine is about £700/term (inclusive of electricity and heating etc, but no meals and not ensuite) - the rooms here are done on a ballot system, so everyone pays the same regardless of quality of room.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Loans? But don't parents pay? I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with the UK system. My parents are paying for me, 60,000 pounds for 3 years.. and what loans do people get? I'm confused.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Loans? But don't parents pay? I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with the UK system. My parents are paying for me, 60,000 pounds for 3 years.. and what loans do people get? I'm confused.
In the UK we get student loans from the Local Educational Authority - they are about £4000 per year, which you have to pay back as soon as u start earning £10,000 per year, after graduation. The loans are only available to UK students, as our education authority provides them, so im sorry, but yes your parents (or sponsor) have to pay for it all for you. Where are you located at the moment. What university and what courses have you applied to?
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by gemma1811)
In the UK we get student loans from the Local Educational Authority - they are about £4000 per year, which you have to pay back as soon as u start earning £10,000 per year, after graduation. The loans are only available to UK students, as our education authority provides them, so im sorry, but yes your parents (or sponsor) have to pay for it all for you. Where are you located at the moment. What university and what courses have you applied to?
I'm in Brunei.. applied to
(Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds) - accepted
(Durham, Warwick) - waiting
Cambridge - rejected

for law

Yeh, so my poor parents have to fork out that 60,000 pounds. ARGH!
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cambridge - rejected

for law

Yeah that is a hell of a lot of money! I'm still waiting to hear from Warwick (not for Law thou) but i have an offer for Durham, however there are many of my friends that are still waiting to hear from them! I'm sorry about Cambridge! Where is your first choice?

Can you not find out if your education authority will help towards your fees in anyway? There is another option, you could find a Law firm that will sponsor you throught university, which means that they will pay your fees, and may even help with living costs, the only downfall however, is that you will most likely have to work for them for a couple of years after uni, but it isnt that bad if it means you don't have to pay so much.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help I'm not too concerned about the financial side of things as my parents have promised me that they would pay up to 30,000 pounds a year for each of their 4 children. So as long as I don't spend more than 30,000 pounds a year, I'm quite safe.

My first choice is now Nottingham, with Durham as a second if they choose to accept me. But I'm very much geared to NOttingham as their offer is rather low and I love the place. I want my single ensuite room!! Hehe.. it's an obsession.. they quote about 3,600 pounds a year.. I just hope that demand is not too high.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for your help I'm not too concerned about the financial side of things as my parents have promised me that they would pay up to 30,000 pounds a year for each of their 4 children. So as long as I don't spend more than 30,000 pounds a year, I'm quite safe.

My first choice is now Nottingham, with Durham as a second if they choose to accept me. But I'm very much geared to NOttingham as their offer is rather low and I love the place. I want my single ensuite room!! Hehe.. it's an obsession.. they quote about 3,600 pounds a year.. I just hope that demand is not too high.
Wow, thats cool of your parents! Im sure you won't go over £30,000 per year. How much tution fees do you have to pay?

I'm sure Durham will except you! I want an ensuite room to!!!! I can't imaging having to share a bathroom with 10 people - i dont have to share a bathroom at all at the moment, so i think it would be difficult to adjust to at first. I was given a place at my first choice college at Durham, and all the rooms there have en-suites! The demand depends on how many en-suite rooms are in the halls you choose really, if there are only a couple then there will be in high demand, but my boyfriend got an en-suite room and in his halls there are only 4 en-suite rooms, he was really lucky (and surprised) i dont even think that he particulary requested en-suite, just said that he would be prepared to have one if it was offered.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Wow, thats cool of your parents! Im sure you won't go over £30,000 per year. How much tution fees do you have to pay?

I'm sure Durham will except you! I want an ensuite room to!!!! I can't imaging having to share a bathroom with 10 people - i dont have to share a bathroom at all at the moment, so i think it would be difficult to adjust to at first. I was given a place at my first choice college at Durham, and all the rooms there have en-suites! The demand depends on how many en-suite rooms are in the halls you choose really, if there are only a couple then there will be in high demand, but my boyfriend got an en-suite room and in his halls there are only 4 en-suite rooms, he was really lucky (and surprised) i dont even think that he particulary requested en-suite, just said that he would be prepared to have one if it was offered.
LUCKY!! For Nottingham, we have to choose so I'm choosing my ensuite and applying as early as possible. I really CANNOT share with 8 other people. I'm selfish and horrible. Plus, in Singapore I had to share with 24 other girls and it was just the most terrible experience I've ever been through. It's just gross.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Eww!!!!! I could never share a bathroom with 24 people! That really is disgusting! I don't wanna share either! I've told my parents that i want an en-suite, and i think i'm guna do all i can to get one! Are you going for catered or self-catered accommodation? I reckon that you have more chance of getting an en-suite in self-catered, as the number of people that apply for sef-catered is less than catered. But i don't know if i can be bothered with cooking everyday - but, on the other hand, im a fussy eater and wonder whether i'll like the food in catered! ARGH!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry for sounding so dumb but what does 'en-suite' mean? Does it mean your own room? I went to a Geography trip back in Year 10 and had to share a room with 15 other boys and I couldn't sleep at all! There is absolutely no way I'm sharing a room if I live away. I might considering applying to Cardiff University btw.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Sorry for sounding so dumb but what does 'en-suite' mean? Does it mean your own room? I went to a Geography trip back in Year 10 and had to share a room with 15 other boys and I couldn't sleep at all! There is absolutely no way I'm sharing a room if I live away. I might considering applying to Cardiff University btw.
No, an en-suite is when you have a bathroom attached to your bedroom. You dont usually have to share a room at university unless you request to! However the majority of people do have to share a bathroom, on average with at least 7-8 other people! I personally do not want to do that, but i mite share a room with my best friend if we end up at the same uni! Are you doing your AS levels at the moment then?
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, an en-suite is when you have a bathroom attached to your bedroom. You dont usually have to share a room at university unless you request to! However the majority of people do have to share a bathroom, on average with at least 7-8 other people! I personally do not want to do that, but i mite share a room with my best friend if we end up at the same uni! Are you doing your AS levels at the moment then?
Then I would very much like my own bathroom then! And no, I'm doing my A2s at the moment and having some complications with my UCAS application since one of the courses I have applied to has been discontinued from September! Therefore, I'm considering change it to another course at Cardiff University.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cambridge - rejected

for law

I dont think any of the Durham colleges offer en-suite rooms to first year students, and they only offer catered (I could be wrong on both accounts though..) I didnt apply to any of the others so I cant help with them.

The accomodation Im in is about £2500 for a 40 week lease. It is a single en-suite room. Expect to pay anything between about £2200 and £4000 depending on which part of the country the uni you choose is in. You havent applied to any London unis so expect to pay around £2800.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
Then I would very much like my own bathroom then! And no, I'm doing my A2s at the moment and having some complications with my UCAS application since one of the courses I have applied to has been discontinued from September! Therefore, I'm considering change it to another course at Cardiff University.
Ah right, well good luck with the switch! I'm sure UCAS will let you, since KCL have discontinued your course! Grr! I think not having to share a bathroom is the best idea! hehe
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chris_)
I dont think any of the Durham colleges offer en-suite rooms to first year students, and they only offer catered (I could be wrong on both accounts though..) I didnt apply to any of the others so I cant help with them.

The accomodation Im in is about £2500 for a 40 week lease. It is a single en-suite room. Expect to pay anything between about £2200 and £4000 depending on which part of the country the uni you choose is in. You havent applied to any London unis so expect to pay around £2800.
You have the NICEST avatar in the world! Anywaes, the price that nottingham have quoted is 3600 pounds for single ensuite catered.
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

There are some Durham colleges that offer en-suites! Especially over in the new Halls, one of them has all en-suites, but it is about a 35 min bus ride from the main campus! They do only offer catered accomadation thou! Where abouts are you at uni then?
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You have the NICEST avatar in the world! .
Thank you, you are too kind

Anyways, the price that nottingham have quoted is 3600 pounds for single ensuite catered.
Yea, expect to pay a bit more than what I said if you're going for catered.
The average price for an en-suite room is about £70 p/week uncatered.
Chris_
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There are some Durham colleges that offer en-suites! Especially over in the new Halls, one of them has all en-suites, but it is about a 35 min bus ride from the main campus! They do only offer catered accomadation thou! Where abouts are you at uni then?
Ahhh, I didnt even know they had any modern halls :rolleyes:

Im at UEA. My room is £64 p/week (single, en-suite), but there are some here that are £72 p/week and they are ranked as the best student accomodation in the country I think..
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ahhh, I didnt even know they had any modern halls :rolleyes:

Im at UEA. My room is £64 p/week (single, en-suite), but there are some here that are £72 p/week and they are ranked as the best student accomodation in the country I think..
Yeah, they have built a campus in Stockton now, as there wasnt enough room at the main campus. They have but the business school over there atm, along with a couple of other things. But the accommodation looks really nice - i got a place at the halls with all rooms en-suite, but i dont think im guna go to durham!

Thats a really good price, I havent applied to UEA so i havent seen the accommadation! I've applied to London and the prices are madness! Although the prices at the Hall in Exeter are quite expensive as well.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (91)
22.14%
No (320)
77.86%

Watched Threads