Reclaim Motivation

ReputationRep:
    Reclaim Motivation - Part 1

Page 1
    Spoiler:
    Show

I’m here to motivate you, to help you understand that whatever you’re doing has a purpose and that life has a purpose too.

I and many of my students and teachers believe that for each and every one of us to become successful, we must have goals and targets. Goals and targets are like checkpoints that must be reached for us to proceed with our lives onto big and better things. I’m sure you’ve been told this many times. “A goal without an action plan is nothing more than a day dream”. It’s true as well, you have goals and targets yet if you don’t have a viable plan that you can adhere to, where will it lead?

You continuously say to yourselves that you want to be rich, to be the best at this sport or to be whatever your goals maybe, but have you sat down with a pen and paper and actually tried to visualise how this dream can come true?

It’s just in your head and you’re just going in the direction society puts you in. Primary School > Secondary School > 6th Form > University > Job > Marriage > Death – so what have you actually achieved by following this path? Unless you’re happy following the blueprint our friends at John Lewis perfectly illustrated. You should design your own life plans. Life is like a game, each checkpoint you reach has a “save” icon next to it. Why don’t you let the game respond to your actions instead of responding to the game?

I’ve noticed a lot of you lack perseverance. You’ve all given up on life so easily without putting up a fight. Most of you are between 16-24 years of age and have already just thrown in the towel. Is it because you dislike the fact that the universe rewards action? It really does reward those who are courageous and those who act when the first sign is given.

The very first thing I did was create a vision similar to that of foresight. Except, you plan the way you want your life to go. (Night is the best time – thoughts come out easily) Now this vision is a definition of who you want to be as a person. You must think of your highest self, the more you think about it the more creative you can be. You must also live into that vision immediately. “How you act is who you become”. Remember you’re not trying to become any individual; you’re trying to become your best self. Energy, motivation and clear inspiration is gained from becoming the vision of your highest self now, not in twenty years when you achieve your goals. “We can become who we act like we are”.

In all honesty, you’re either living your own dreams or living someone else’s. Unless you give your dreams the time and space it needs to manifest into something massive, while becoming a huge part of your life, “You will always be living the dreams of other people.” You can’t guarantee that you’ll be happy when you reach a certain goal. If you’re not happy now, how can you be happy in the future? Disagree? So you’re telling me that happiness comes from success? Well that’s not true happiness, because internal problems in your life will always remain unless you let that opinion go.

If your goal is small and vague, why are you surprised that you’re not motivated? How can you reach your goals if your imagination doesn’t get excited from the potential your goal could provide? If your goal is specific, clear and most importantly massive, true motivation is achieved because your imagination becomes thrilled of simply wanting to achieve that goal and all the endless possibilities that come as bonuses in the future. How are we supposed to tell whether or not our goal is large? Look at the effect it has on yourself and everyone else. “Remember it’s not what a goal is that matters, it’s what it does.”

Want to know my vision? Read my profile – May take a few generations to achieve it but I’m certain it will come true as I’m taking necessary action to firstly changing my life for the better and changing the lives of other people.

You must believe in yourself and your abilities. Nobody is better than anybody and in all honesty, there is no such thing as a “complete counter” to an individuals’ abilities. We are just different, we are all good at something and you know it too. You have a talent that is either; locked, neglected or unlocked. You’re one of the three. You need to stop overlooking your strengths and really push them out.

When attempting a new task you need to reprogram your way of thinking in order to get better at that task. The more you do something, the more experience you gain and naturally you’ll become more adept at it. The mistake most of us make is thinking pessimistically and telling ourselves that we are no good, and we can’t do it right. We’re always expecting everything we do to be perfectly the first time. Why? Because to become excellent at an activity, we want it to be easy and that’s the mistake we make. We expect everything in life to be easy and the fewer hardships we come across then the better life will be. If you can reprogram your mind to thinking optimistically and positively, you’ll achieve results. You’ll be making progress in no time at all. Of course there will be days where you feel that you’re regressing but this is just the mind playing on its self. Overall thought process doesn’t change overnight, though “change you will – one thought at a time”.

Page 2
    Spoiler:
    Show

You must try to leave your comfort zone. I know it’s hard but this is what happens; you feel a thousand times better, obtain so much energy that you believe you could take on the world, and receive instantaneous motivation after you’ve done it to do it again, especially if it’s a fear. Feeling fear is ok, though it can be controlled. The more challenged you are; the better results you provide to others and yourself, the more experience you gain being in “scary situations” the easier you’ll find it to create a stronger self in both your strengths and your weaknesses. Constantly putting yourself out there will make you extremely strong (mentally), stronger than you can possibly ever imagine.

Your mental attitude is probably the only thing you have complete control over. Everyone has an inner self (the thoughts we really mean). You need to learn to control this inner self. If you can implement self-discipline into your every day routine you will certainly achieve more in the future. Those bad habits that you just can’t stop, TSR makes you procrastinate – you know it too. Slowly reduce your activity on the website by about five to ten minutes each time you visit. I believe Firefox 3.6 has an add-on that shuts websites off for you after a certain time. This is just an example, the principle is always the same but you can achieve motivation if you’re able to discipline yourself and resent the tendencies to adhere towards those habits.

Planning is probably the most fundamental step towards self motivation and self development, if your creative mind is used properly. “The right time to learn life’s most imperative rules is when you’re down, sad and upset.” Motivation can be acquired from planning your work and possibly your life. Once you’ve got that picture, that sublime vision of what you want to be – not who you want to be, planning your work makes it much easier to accomplish. One hour, just one hour of planning a specific task that you want to accomplish will provide you with roughly three hours of execution. Why? Well because you’re following a set of planned programs in your mind. The more you plan, the fewer mistakes you actually make. If you do make mistakes, just go back to your plan and you’ll be put on track again. You must plan your ideas out clearly in front of you. They must be as clear in your mind as is the difference between day and night.

I was told by a friend that planning is the most productive hour we ever spend because he believes it lays out the foundations of what we want to do. What most people do is they just turn up to their lecture or work place while reacting erratically when a crisis arises. When in actuality a lot of disasters occur from a result of poor or no planning. Obviously, you can’t work fervently and feel depressed at the same time, though I have a separate topic for depression and self-esteem. Writing this is the same thing. I didn’t just turn on my PC and said “Hey, let’s write a motivational post for some of your mates at TSR, just because”. It’ll be a disaster. I actually planned this six weeks in advance since it’s always been something I’ve wanted to do, I got serious roughly four weeks ago though.

You should probably try to attempt doing different things or doing things that you fail, differently. A lot of people I know seem to bring up the excuse that they can’t do an activity or that they are inept and have no talent. That’s similar to a football player. A lot of football players refuse to use their left foot/right foot because it’s weaker. I don’t know what you believe but I believe and know that we are born with two arms and two legs. Why do we neglect half of our body? For instance I’m ambidextrous but I wasn’t born as one. I had to practice using both hands.

A lot of people lack motivation because they feel that their life is not as fun as they want it to be. To make matters worse, they go on Facebook and spend roughly an hour or two on Friday night burying their heads in the sand and crossing their arms looking at every single one of the seven-thousand-three-hundred and fifty-six pictures of their friends having fun, while they’re sitting at home with no one to go out with. So they feel depressed and lack motivation to do anything productive that will benefit them because they feel neglected and in worse cases, feel avoided.

People don’t realise that fun isn’t something that can be found, it’s not a material item. It’s inside yourself; you can’t look for fun because you will not find it. Use your creativity to create the fun aspect of your life and don’t be bound by others to create it for you. The chemistry of our bodies experiences immense changes when we’re having fun. Positive energy is produced in large amounts, and you get motivated from that alone. Anything that makes you feel happy about yourself is fun. You enjoy doing it, and in turn get inspirited because of that.

Page 3
    Spoiler:
    Show

If you really want to get motivated and do big things for yourself then I think you should probably distance yourself from your friends. Hold on, I don’t mean locking yourself if your room only coming out for food. Instead you should move away from those who don’t support your goals. A friend isn’t really a friend if they don’t support your goals are they? Everyone has an opinion sure, but true friends don’t put you down. If you’re friends put you down then they’re not your friends, sorry. Pessimistic individuals unintentionally draw negative energy around them and fire it towards you while making you submit to them or worse, make you feel bad about yourself. Conversely being in a conversation with an optimist opens up life’s possibilities.

I’ve been told many a time that when we used to be children, we were “creative thinkers”. We actually looked at a situation and tried to solve it, whether we were wrong or right wasn’t the issue. When we had our minds on a goal or an idea that we wanted to grasp or even change, we reached out with our tiny arms and got it. The fact is when we were kids we took some form of a risk many times without even realising it. From here on out, it seems like things have changed from about the age of thirteen onwards.

We began thinking of what others were thinking of us. “Does my hair look ok today?”, “Gotta be on point today init?” It gets worse. “Am I attractive, rate me out of 10 please” It seems like our goal in life changed from “I want to be an astronaut” to “I don’t want to feel humiliated” or “I don’t want to look bad”. It was then that we decided that all risks must be avoided to prevent this. Most people design...... no, alter their lives to what other people think of them. Well this is what I say to you guys; “Why should the way I feel, depend on the thoughts of someone else? I’d rather live my life, my way. If I don’t want to wear make-up then I don’t want to. Why are you bothered by what I’m doing when it has no direct or in-direct influence to you? It’s my life at the end of the day and I can do exactly what I want with it.” We must try to; paint our hearts in gold, relish in good feelings and create a face that doesn’t care much about what others think.

Do you revise while the internet, TV, PlayStation, Phone or any combination of the above is on? If you do, I think it is common sense not to because you get distracted. If you use media such as these for an extended period of time and you’re starting to feel depressed or upset, understand what I’m about to say. Programs such as X-Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, Got To Dance and the rest of these talent shows place a detriment on the individuals that loathe them. My parents and teacher once said; “You’re watching other people do what they love for a living. You’re passively watching them have fun. They’re getting money, and you’re paying.” I think that it speaks for itself to be honest. When you’re feeling down in the dumps and upset, do an activity to liven your heart up again. I recommend you read out loud when you’re revising too, as it’s said you’ll remember twice as much information.

When you’re doing any form of work you should split the job into pieces to make it easier. You become reluctant to do something the more time you spend thinking about it. So “Just Do It!” Undertaking eight hour long marathons worth of cramming is not going to get you anywhere. You get tired and your revision is no longer as effective compared to the first three. I remember someone telling me that you can’t do hard concentration at one-hundred percent at any one time longer than twenty minutes. It doesn’t matter how fast you complete your activity, as long as you are doing it properly. You’ll get results easier this way.

Edit:

I am now the lead balanced life practitioner at The Balanced Life Academy, teaching life skills to people of all ages around the globe. The goal is to bring people together through the balanced life curriculum to achieve everlasting happiness and excellence

Here is a link to my website, if you want to learn more: http://davidjoragui.com

You may PM me if you have any questions.

ReputationRep:
    Only skimmed through, but looks good. Similar attitude to me.

Copied to word, will read it all later, haven't got the motivation yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    Only skimmed through, but looks good. Similar attitude to me.

Copied to word, will read it all later, haven't got the motivation yet.
    :rofl: Ok, thanks for your support. This is only part 1 btw.

ReputationRep:
    I lack the motivation to read. Maybe latter.

ReputationRep:
    Primary School > Secondary School > 6th Form > University > Job > Marriage > Death
    Pretty much, though marriage is optional yet desirable.
    Most things I want I can get as a process of bumbling through. Other stuff I generally decide is not worth the effort. Maybe reading it would help but it is so long

I mainly want to live in the country surrounded by books. This is not hard to achieve. More would be nice but ultimately I am content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Pretty much, though marriage is optional yet desirable.
    Most things I want I can get as a process of bumbling through. Other stuff I generally decide is not worth the effort. Maybe reading it would help but it is so long

I mainly want to live in the country surrounded by books. This is not hard to achieve. More would be nice but ultimately I am content.
    Heh I aplogise for the length, I guess that's why I condensed it into parts. This is only 1/5 of what I actually had to write hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Heh I aplogise for the length, I guess that's why I condensed it into parts. This is only 1/5 of what I actually had to write hmm.
    Oh I have read it all now.
    Interesting, ultimately what I already new, I don't know maybe I have given up doing anything more. I am eating healthier than before but this is a slow, vague to. Then exercise but I find slow change is the only way to effect change, we only have so much willpower.
    I am not sure I generally feel uncomfortable with specifics, ties me down. I tend to do presentations without planning and then get Merits.
    Maybe I could do better with planning, I don't know.

Certainly if I fail they year I will become tougher on myself. If I get what I want anyway I wont bother.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I have read it all now.
    Interesting, ultimately what I already new, I don't know maybe I have given up doing anything more. I am eating healthier than before but this is a slow, vague to. Then exercise but I find slow change is the only way to effect change, we only have so much willpower.
    I am not sure I generally feel uncomfortable with specifics, ties me down. I tend to do presentations without planning and then get Merits.
    Maybe I could do better with planning, I don't know.

Certainly if I fail they year I will become tougher on myself. If I get what I want anyway I wont bother.
    Yay thanks. Hmm I seem to agree alot. Planning definitely helps no matter what you're doing and yes change comes with time.

You have the kind of mindset I was looking for. Good.

ReputationRep:
    Yay thanks. Hmm I seem to agree alot. Planning definitely helps no matter what you're doing and yes change comes with time.

You have the kind of mindset I was looking for. Good.
    I am not sure I do.
    I always see myself as inferior as to what I could be.
    I used to play and instrument, stopped. Sort of would like to start again but then lessons would be expensive. That sort of thing.
    Maybe it just takes time, water dripping on a stone. I am patient, that is certain.
    I seem able to coast and do well. Now this makes me unhappy as I know I could do better but I don't NEED to (I feel I was so much time, here, sitting in the kitchen etc.) and so don't. I live in fear that one day I will no longer be able to coast but by the time I realise I will have failed.

But I am happy when not thinking these things...

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure I do.
    I always see myself as inferior as to what I could be.
    I used to play and instrument, stopped. Sort of would like to start again but then lessons would be expensive. That sort of thing.
    Maybe it just takes time, water dripping on a stone. I am patient, that is certain.
    I seem able to coast and do well. Now this makes me unhappy as I know I could do better but I don't NEED to (I feel I was so much time, here, sitting in the kitchen etc.) and so don't. I live in fear that one day I will no longer be able to coast but by the time I realise I will have failed.

But I am happy when not thinking these things...
    Hmm, yeah you make perfect points. As long as you can see where improvement needs to be made - as listed above then you'll get it done. I also feel like I spend alot of time on this site too. I banned myself for one week to get some work done. Now after I've posted all this I might just visit regularly as it can be quite addictive hmm.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah you make perfect points. As long as you can see where improvement needs to be made - as listed above then you'll get it done. I also feel like I spend alot of time on this site too. I banned myself for one week to get some work done. Now after I've posted all this I might just visit regularly as it can be quite addictive hmm.
    An interesting conversation but neurology beckons.

I hope it does.

ReputationRep:
    Part 2 will probably get done this weekend. Hopefully by Saturday evening. Sorry for the length once again - I did say that It was a large project.

ReputationRep:
    yaay very good well done

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent read. You're an intelligent chap and you've obviously been there and done that.

Very insightful.

ReputationRep:
    I did quite like this, although a bit wordy.

Now I just wish I had the motivation to actually revise when I say i'm going to revise :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
    I did quite like this, although a bit wordy.

Now I just wish I had the motivation to actually revise when I say i'm going to revise :P
    (Original post by PrivatiseThis)
    Excellent read. You're an intelligent chap and you've obviously been there and done that.

Very insightful.
    Thank-you very much. I'm just happy that I could write this for you guys.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome stuff, I'm reading it in my revision breaks and it nicely draws me back to work. Expect some low-powered rep tomorrow haha

ReputationRep:
    Only read part one (cause i need to get to bed) but so far it looks good; saved to favourites and subscribed now.

+rep.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys, I never knew it was that good lol. Seems like I should take this further hmm.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2013
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.