Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women wear make-up on? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or by honouring them in turn with silly responses ourselves. Although there are some sillier threads elsewhere which are more fun.

ReputationRep:
    Make-up makes me feel more confident, I don't wear loads - foundation, powder, blusher, lip gloss, eyeliner and mascara usually (that sounds like a lot, actually!!) It's more about the amount you put on.. if you just put a thin layer of foundation on, it evens the skin tone, etc. Too many girls put layer upon layer on - giving them the infamous 'orange' look. It's about accentuating your features, not hiding them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    I think we should protest against silly threads like these by not honouring them with a response.
    Nice to see someone leading by example!

ReputationRep:
    Hypocrites can have good ideas too you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    haha, it did sound like that didnt it - not intentional! but the amount of us girls who just wear natural looking make up - it does make a huge difference, but without being overtly noticeable. If every woman took off their make up then i think it would be quite scary
    I look no different with or without make-up, I wear make-up which tends to be tinted moisturiser, eyeshadow, mascara and a bit of blusher because it gives me a better complexion, I don't look as 'tired' and it gives me more confidence. I wouldn't say I wear make-up because otherwise I would look ugly, that's pathetic...every single celebrity wears make-up, yet we all look up to a certain celebrity and say they are 'beautiful'.
    You can wear natural make-up which makes the best of an individual. Wearing make-up doesn't necessarily mean wearing heavy foundation, green eyeshadow and lots of orange rouge. And just because a lady wears make-up it doesn't mean she is a slapper!?!? That doesn't make sense!!!

ReputationRep:
    Makeup is designed to hide blemishes and enhance your natural features. You can make your skin look smoother and more even, your eyelashes longer, your lips redder etc. In fact, makeup is designed to mimic the way you look when you are aroused.....bet you didn't know that!

I'll agree with you that it's unattractive to wear makeup that looks like it's been applied with a trowel, but subtle makeup can really enhance your appearance. Here's a picture of me wearing makeup at a posh party. I think I look nicer than when I'm not wearing any makeup at all.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    Makeup is designed to hide blemishes and enhance your natural features. You can make your skin look smoother and more even, your eyelashes longer, your lips redder etc. In fact, makeup is designed to mimic the way you look when you are aroused.....bet you didn't know that!

I'll agree with you that it's unattractive to wear makeup that looks like it's been applied with a trowel, but subtle makeup can really enhance your appearance. Here's a picture of me wearing makeup at a posh party. I think I look nicer than when I'm not wearing any makeup at all.
    Yeah I have a photo of me wearing make up (the prom close up pic) and one of me not wearing make-up (the pic of me in Miami), there isn't really much difference I don't think? Except the one with me wearing make-up makes my skin look better and I don't look as 'tired'.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    and you dont really look like you're wearing make up there

and it's only lipstick that was originally designed to mimic looking aroused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FunkykindaGal)
    Yeah I have a photo of me wearing make up (the prom close up pic) and one of me not wearing make-up (the pic of me in Miami), there isn't really much difference I don't think? Except the one with me wearing make-up makes my skin look better and I don't look as 'tired'.
    are you not wearing eye liner in the first picture?

ReputationRep:
    are you not wearing eye liner in the first picture?
    I am wearing no make-up whatsoever in the Miami pic, it was taken in the morning and plus it was warm so there is no point in wearing make-up in the heat! The other photo however I am wearing tinted moisturiser, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blusher and lip gloss.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I used to get asked why I looked so tired or that I appeared ill (dark circles) so make-up helps me in combatting those unwanted remarks...oooh whats this about lipstick mimicking arousal? Where did you hear that? Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I am wearing no make-up whatsoever in the Miami pic, it was taken in the morning and plus it was warm so there is no point in wearing make-up in the heat! The other photo however I am wearing tinted moisturiser, eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, blusher and lip gloss.
    i think they're fairly similar..i think you can tell a difference in your eyes though.

ReputationRep:
    i think they're fairly similar..i think you can tell a difference in your eyes though.
    Yep! I look no different with or without make-up really, its called 'keeping it natural'...do I don't know how anyone can say a lady looks like or IS a slapper because they wear make-up!?

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I look no different with or without make-up really, its called 'keeping it natural'...do I don't know how anyone can say a lady looks like or IS a slapper because they wear make-up!?
    haha i know! it's quite ridiculous...ooh i wear mascara, i'm easy. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    haha i know! it's quite ridiculous...ooh i wear mascara, i'm easy. :confused:
    LOL!!!

ReputationRep:
    I never wear foundation or anything like that just subtle eye make up - browny/grey eyeshadow and some mascara. If I'm going on a night out I might add abit of eyeliner.

I don't understand how a woman is suddenly a slapper because she wears make up. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I think some girls can wear too much make up, I mean there are girls in my school who go totally over the top, and have orange collars. But there are girls who suit make up as it makes their face look nicer, but there are girls who wear it and think they look better, but they look awful.

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood the whole foundation thing, unless it was applied by a professional maybe. I have far from perfect skin but never have I been tempted to cover up with foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    I've never understood the whole foundation thing, unless it was applied by a professional maybe. I have far from perfect skin but never have I been tempted to cover up with foundation.
    Modern foundations don't actually 'cover up' your skin, they just even out tone whilst still letting your skin show through.

I don't understand this perception of foundation as a total mask. Obviously if its applied wrongly it looks crap, but if you get the right shade and blend it correctly, it looks great. I don't think most people can tell I wear foundation, but I can see the difference. It just stops everything looking so 'blemishy'.

Another thing I don't understand is why for a lot of people, foundation always means orange and tarty :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    :confused:

i use it lightly in places to even out my skin tone - i have quite patchy skin, red in places so why wouldnt i want to even it out and make it look normal without looking like ive got makeup on?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.