The Student Room Group

Scuba Diving

Anyone done it?

i had a go for the first time yesterday (just over 24 hours ago i was in the sunshine *cries*) and i found it absalutely amazing. i did the basics in a salt water pool then did about an hour in the atlantic and it was truly amazing. i only went down to about 8 metres, but you could still see loads of fish and the bottom of the ocean (we didn't go out very far in the boat). i now want to get my diving license, but will probably have to wait til i go to uni cos it costs quite a lot and i have no time anyway. has anyone done it all or know much about it?

lou xxx
Reply 1
i wanna do it; but i think you need to be able to swim first :frown:

wherre did you go?
Reply 2
lou p
Anyone done it?

i had a go for the first time yesterday (just over 24 hours ago i was in the sunshine *cries*) and i found it absalutely amazing. i did the basics in a salt water pool then did about an hour in the atlantic and it was truly amazing. i only went down to about 8 metres, but you could still see loads of fish and the bottom of the ocean (we didn't go out very far in the boat). i now want to get my diving license, but will probably have to wait til i go to uni cos it costs quite a lot and i have no time anyway. has anyone done it all or know much about it?

lou xxx

Oh gawd yeah, it's amazing :biggrin: ! I did it quite a while ago when I was in Thailand where I gained my PADI license thingy (don't think it's still valid anymore though because I've forgotten all of my training :tongue: ). I think I went down to about 13m or something like that :confused:
Reply 3
kikzen
i wanna do it; but i think you need to be able to swim first :frown:

wherre did you go?

they never actually asked me if i could swim, but i am a pretty strong swimmer anyway. i imagine they probably do need you to be able to swim first, although the technique is very different...basically i don't know.

i went to fuertaventura in the canaries- it was absalutely amazing and it didn't feel like december/january!

lou xxx
lou p
Anyone done it?

lou xxx

I really wanna try scuba diving... I am Fish after all.
lou p
they never actually asked me if i could swim, but i am a pretty strong swimmer anyway. i imagine they probably do need you to be able to swim first, although the technique is very different...basically i don't know.

i went to fuertaventura in the canaries- it was absalutely amazing and it didn't feel like december/january!

lou xxx

Wow...

But what's it like swimming with however many kilogrammes of compressed air on your back? And what's it like on your ears?
Reply 6
thefish_uk
Wow...

But what's it like swimming with however many kilogrammes of compressed air on your back? And what's it like on your ears?

i can't tell you how bruised i am. you have to wear a lead belt as well as your air tank. that's because your jacket and wetsuit are both very bouyant. i have huge bruises on my hips cos it felt like the belt was directly on the bone (maybe i should eat more and get fat). you don't notice it all when you're swimming, just when you're going in and out of the boat and wandering around on shore when you feel like you can't move at all.

you have to equalise as you go down in the water otherwise your ears would hurt like hell. you just pinch your nose, keep your mouth shut and blow out really hard. you have to be careful flying afterwards as well (they'd worked out that i couldn't fly for 2 hiours 42 minutes after my dive). i flew in the evening (about 7 hours later) and my ears were a bit more sore than usual flying, but not really painful.

lou xxx
ooooo ok

I'll have to try it sometime...
Reply 8
thefish_uk
ooooo ok

I'll have to try it sometime...

yep you should. i'm completely hooked now.

lou xxx
Reply 9
breaking the terms of my self inflicted "got to do work for exams" thing but hwat the hell:

went scuba diving in lanzorote, great fun, didnt go down very far (8-10m) but it was great. loads of fish and a octopus (which squited ink at the instructor) me and my dad went and we were quite a pair, my dad had too much beer the evening before and therefore kept floating up due to a bloated stomach :rolleyes: instructor ended up putting rocks in some pouches to keep him down. i managed to get a nosebleed underwater due to the pressure (im quite sensitive to pressure i've found) and my air ran out (not v funny underwater i can tell you) :eek: my dad managed to cut his hand on a sharp rock under water too. but didnt notice till we got out when he bled all the way up the beach lol.

anyway.... :tongue:

i would really like to do it again, you just lose yourself underwater because its so quiet.
Reply 10
yaya i love it!! want to do some more at uni, already got my Open Water Diver! didi it in spain, went to about 13 metres on our last dive, lots of great fishes!! thing is though if you want to do it a lot you need to buy the equipment which is so expensive eg £200-£300 for just the bcd jacket, and it costs loads to hire each time if you dont buy, plus it wont fit as well!

ooo well hope i can do some more soon though!!

Latest

Trending

Trending