Anyone who's studying WJEC A2 Media Studies...

Watch
homebythefence
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Seriously, how do we even revise for this exam?! It's 'Text, Industry, Audience', I know that much but ... what?! :confused:
homebythefence
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Can anybody help out with this?
WeirdLittleO
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Tell me about it.... I did crap in my mock because I have no idea what to write lol.
Pathan_Power
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Heya people. I'm also doing this exam on the 15th june. All i know is in Section A you have to answer 1 question from 2 and in Section B you have the choice of 2 questions from 4. For each question we answer we have to use a seperate INDUSTRY. EG. Section A .
SECTION A: TEXT
A1. Explore the ways in which your chosen texts reinforce or challenge typical representations of gender [30]
Or
A2. How does your chosen texts use genre conventions [30]
SECTION B: INDUSTRY AND AUDIENCE

Choice of four questions follow in exam.

I'm doin Televison, Advertsing and Radio for my three. The only thing is my teacher has not yet covered anything on the three radio shows so i am doomed as i don't have a clue how to analyse them. So if anyone can be of assistant do let me know. The three shows are Too Much Too Young. Hirsty's Daily Dose. House on Fire season 1 ep 1. How do they attract audiences ?
sleepygremlin
Report 11 years ago
To find out how they attract audiences I'd research the audiences that usually listen to the radio stations they're on. I've never heard of those shows before so I can't help you with that =P but that's what the internet's for
Which shows are you doing for television?
Pathan_Power
Report 11 years ago
Thanks. For television i'm doing CSI:MIAMI DR.WHO & BRITAINS NEXT TOP MODEL.
Ellie!
Report 11 years ago
I'm doing T.V, Film and Games. My teacher got loads of information off the internet and we've just done three case studies for each; two have been done as a class and we've each done one of our own.
If you have time you could do mini powerpoint presentations on a case study as if giving it to the class and then print off the handouts- it's really helped me this year. Although I'm still terrified for the exam as I really need an A =S
provident
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pathan_Power)
Thanks. For television i'm doing CSI:MIAMI DR.WHO & BRITAINS NEXT TOP MODEL.
The radio industry is tough to use for any of these questions!

Me personally, i am going to use TV industry for one of the questions from section A. It gives you a lot more to write about. So with your texts i would go down the representation route, as they all fit fairly nicely (E.g if a question of the representation of gender, or beauty were to arise)

As for using the radio industry for a question.... Look into section B

B2: explain the impact of digital technologies on your selected industry)
MP3, downloads, online independant radio streaming etc?

Im not studying radio (T.V, Newspapers & Film instead) so not to sure of the digital impact, google would be a start point for you buuut thats the way i would approach it.

Don't know if its helped or not but has got me in the mood to revise aha so thanks
Pathan_Power
Report 11 years ago
Hey thanks Dude. Appreciate it.
lara Duffy
Report 11 years ago
Hellooo, Is anyone doing Newspaper, Film and advertising? Am totally stuck as I have no idea what to look at or revise
niamhcobainmcginty
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm doing film, tv, and music
but how much do we have to write for each text?
say if it was a question on genre, i would answer it with film and do Bond, This is England and then Slumdog Millionaire, but how much do I write for each example?
PrinceSarah
Report 9 years ago
Magazine is totally the hardest thing to revise, especially when you're doing Pick Me Up, The Big Issue and Radio Times.

If there aren't questions on audience appeals and interpretations I am screwed.
Sadiia123
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Im doing advertisements, films and gaming 😫 anyone have any advice on how to answer how adverts are regulated or produced? Much appreciated 💜
Katy_
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by niamhcobainmcginty)
I'm doing film, tv, and music
but how much do we have to write for each text?
say if it was a question on genre, i would answer it with film and do Bond, This is England and then Slumdog Millionaire, but how much do I write for each example?
My teacher told us to aim between 3-5 pages per question in order to get enough detail down
Katy_
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sadiia123)
Im doing advertisements, films and gaming 😫 anyone have any advice on how to answer how adverts are regulated or produced? Much appreciated 💜
Hey! Im doing advertising as well for mine im guessing you've been taught about the ASA and the regulation rules? My teacher told us to use our case studies against another that didnt follow regulations and was pulled from advertisement. For example, I'm doing Scope and comparing it to the horrific Silver Spoon campaign by Bernardos. By comparing it to one that failed, you can emphasise how your chosen case study has applied to correct rules and been successful with all the textual analysis and industry context shoved in there too hope that helps!
Sadiia123
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Katy_)
Hey! Im doing advertising as well for mine im guessing you've been taught about the ASA and the regulation rules? My teacher told us to use our case studies against another that didnt follow regulations and was pulled from advertisement. For example, I'm doing Scope and comparing it to the horrific Silver Spoon campaign by Bernardos. By comparing it to one that failed, you can emphasise how your chosen case study has applied to correct rules and been successful with all the textual analysis and industry context shoved in there too hope that helps!
Which theories will you be using? I dont know which theories to use :/
Katy_
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sadiia123)
Which theories will you be using? I dont know which theories to use :/
For advertising, I think the best theories to use are the simple audience ones. Like Hall's preferred/oppositional reading, Hartley and Fiske, psychographics and the usual demographics I think, because the adverts are only successful if the audience perceive them in the intended way, so an essay like regulation would be half on audience

Thanks for the rep by the way👍
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
11.11%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.59%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.52%
Finding the motivation (14)
22.22%
Getting distracted (10)
15.87%
Procrastination (25)
39.68%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads