i know its very late but Help with A level choices? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Justbe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i got my gcse results recently 7 a* 5 a's and a B. basically i got alot of questions because im worried about my a level choices.
1st, with those kind of grades, would 5 a levels most likely be too much work for me
2nd, im taking physics, maths, history, avce business and chemisty.. is avce business less reputable than a level business by most universities. And is chemistry as hard as most people are telling me.
3rd because i dont know what i want to be when im older, does this choice leave me open for many careers (if known could they be listed)
4th is the choice generally one that makes sense?

sorry that i wrote so many questions but any help would be appreciated. thanks
Justbe
Rep:
?
er. i know this doesnt have any answers yet but ive got another 2 questions.
1st Does that subject choice allow me the possiblility to go into business/management.
2nd. If i took further maths instead of avce business, would i be able to go into buiness and is it seen as more prestigious by unis?
3xhilaration
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
business isnt too difficult i got a B this year without trying.. most universities dont require A-level business to do business management.. your other subject choices are fine as long as you put the work in and study hard, good variance with the sciences and two essay based subjects. if you think you can handle all 5 go for it.. you can also drop one after the first month or so..
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1st. Errrr, those kind of grades? ...5 A levels is a fair deal though, start out with it for sure, and if you need to you can drop a course.

2nd. It probably is less reputable being a vocational A level. Chemistry is solid in the realms of A level, tricky stuff.

3rd. Ermm, I do not know, just do what you enjoy doing. I am studying maths because I love it to pieces, I am not really thinking where it can lead me. Your choices definitely leave things open as every university would munch up your 4 academic subjects

4th. For me, probably not, seems quite random, business with 3 sciences is strange, though history shows diversity.

1st. Of course it does, can't stop you exactly. If you can, economics would do you good.

2nd. Everyone loves a bit of further maths, but if that were your combination you would look a nail on scientist, not a business person. Thinking about it, if you want to go into business, do you think doing the testing science A levels is worth it?
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wacther)
i got my gcse results recently 7 a* 5 a's and a B. basically i got alot of questions because im worried about my a level choices.
Congratulations, they are very proficient grades.
1st, with those kind of grades, would 5 a levels most likely be too much work for me.
Those grades show that you are a very capable worker. But, let's discard the GCSE grades for a moment. Ask yourself these questions: Would you be willing to put in the work which is required of you? Would you be able to motivate yourself when the work intensity starts to increase greatly? Would you be able to motivate yourself to complete the masses of work when parts of the courses are "dull" and "uninteresting"? Would you be prepared to sacrifice a large part of your social activity, in order to complete work? I hope you answered yes to all of those questions, because otherwise 5 A-levels might be too much for you. Also remember that you have the option of dropping one subject, if it becomes too much.
2nd, im taking physics, maths, history, avce business and chemisty.. is avce business less reputable than a level business by most universities.
I don't know about this. I would hazard a guess and say that the traditional A-level would be more respected.
And is chemistry as hard as most people are telling me.
This all depends on you. It's an A-level, therefore it will contain many advanced and difficult-to-grasp concepts. But by all means, don't let that put you off. If you are fairly abled in Chemistry (judging by your grades, you must be) and have good enthusiasm for the subject then you should find it a "comfortable" course. You will most likely find parts of the course "challenging" - but in a healthy way. It would be boring if there was no element of difficulty, wouldn't it?
3rd because i dont know what i want to be when im older, does this choice leave me open for many careers (if known could they be listed)
I'll assume you're talking about Chemistry. Then yes, Chemistry would broaden your horizons. Career wise, there are many options open to you. http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/index.cfm?id=1 - this site will help show you the possible career paths you can embark on with those subjects.
Yes, it makes perfect sense. You have two Sciences; Maths complements Physics and Chemistry and Business shows "breadth".
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well done on your results Taking 5 subjects would be a lot of work and isn't necessary at all, but if you enjoy all those subjects and are willing to put the work in, it's possible. You could always drop one if you found it too much. Business Studies A-level isn't very respected either, but it's probably slightly more respected than the AVCE. If your school/college offers economics, consider that since it's seen as the harder version of business studies, but you wouldn't actually need either to go into business management. Take further maths if you love maths and are good at it. In short, either maths, physics, chemistry, history and business studies/economics or maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and history would be fine
Michael12341234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
1st, with those kind of grades, would 5 a levels most likely be too much work for me
2nd, im taking physics, maths, history, avce business and chemisty.. is avce business less reputable than a level business by most universities. And is chemistry as hard as most people are telling me.

sorry that i wrote so many questions but any help would be appreciated. thanks
What do you mean late, you only posted at 7:19 PM, what time do you go to bed 7?
...Only joking. lol
xlouisedoll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't AVCE Business a double A level? Or atleast it is at my school..so you'd actually be doing 6 A levels, not 5.
Justbe
Rep:
?
thanks very much for all the help you guys gave, i got answers quick and i appreciate all the advice given. Er.. im thinking that that has cleared my head quite a bit so i think my choices will stick. . Thanks seriously
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?