Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok so my results werent too good although i did beat my predictions (as levels)

Business - B
    IT - B (last exam let me down, got 112/120 in coursework)
    Psychology - D
    Maths - U (5 marks off)

i was predicted - CDDU

the plan for next year was to drop maths and carry on with the other three, retaking a module in each to get AAC or similar.

the question id like to ask - do you think i should take up another AS, i was thinking of Economics..

any opions of economics (is it difficult at AS), do i really need an AS due to failing maths.. and finally can i decline my maths grade so the uni's wouldnt know i failed it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3xhilaration)

Business - B
    Psychology - D
    Maths - U (5 marks off)

i was predicted - CDDU

the plan for next year was to drop maths and carry on with the other three, retaking a module in each to get AAC or similar.

the question id like to ask - do you think i should take up another AS, i was thinking of Economics..

any opions of economics (is it difficult at AS), do i really need an AS due to failing maths.. and finally can i decline my maths grade so the uni's wouldnt know i failed it?
    It would help you greatly to have another AS, tbh. If you are considering AS Economics, I will recommend that! It shouldn't be too difficult, because it is not widely offered as a GCSE, so presumably the basic stuff will be covered at AS. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

ReputationRep:

Business - B
    Psychology - D
    Maths - U (5 marks off)

i was predicted - CDDU

does the uni ur applying to require an AS?
    my uni asked for 240 points from 2 or 3 A levels.... so my AS levels didnt even count.
    dont take up an AS if u dont need it and concentrate on ur other 3 subjects.
    if you've done economics before id reccomend u doing it cos it wud be really easy then

ReputationRep:
    i havent decided on a particular uni yet.. but im hoping to do business management or similar at somewhere like - exeter/surrey/loughborough/notts etc which are all in the 300+ range.. just thought the AS would be good as ive failed maths, ive already done business AS so that might help a bit..

ReputationRep:
    i havent decided on a particular uni yet.. but im hoping to do business management or similar at somewhere like - exeter/surrey/loughborough/notts etc which are all in the 300+ range.. just thought the AS would be good as ive failed maths, ive already done business AS so that might help a bit..
    i dont know how that works
    but if ur planning on doing business relates course then economics may look good.

ReputationRep:
    Youre in a similar situation to what I was a year ago. At AS I got

ICT: B
    Economics: B
    Busisness: E
    Maths: D (we were told we were going to fair from the start)
    General Studies: D

So I dropped Maths and turned my single ICT into the Double award, and retook all of Busisness studies AS. After a lot of work on my part this year, I got straight B's. If you can do something similar then its a good way to boost your points up, and give you more flexability should you fail one of your origional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Youre in a similar situation to what I was a year ago. At AS I got

ICT: B
    Economics: B
    Busisness: E
    Maths: D (we were told we were going to fair from the start)
    General Studies: D

So I dropped Maths and turned my single ICT into the Double award, and retook all of Busisness studies AS. After a lot of work on my part this year, I got straight B's. If you can do something similar then its a good way to boost your points up, and give you more flexability should you fail one of your origional subjects.
    How did you change from single award to double award ICT? I thought if you achieved the AS-level in the single award (3 unit), you can't change or something like that. I did single award and got into university. I'm still happy with doing single award though.

ReputationRep:
    I just did the extra 6 units in the second year out of lesson time. Had the support of the head of sixth, head of BIS faculty and head of ICT, and they made it happen.

This was AVCE too, whether that makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    I just did the extra 6 units in the second year out of lesson time. Had the support of the head of sixth, head of BIS faculty and head of ICT, and they made it happen.

This was AVCE too, whether that makes a difference?
    Alright then. I should have asked my teacher to let me switch from single award to double award. O well. Not sure if he will let me change though, as I got a certificate in ASVCE single award already in year 12, so I thought I can't change.

In the end, I got a good grade and went to university.

ReputationRep:
    In the end, I got a good grade and went to university.
    I thought you were taking a gap year? This sentence seems to be in the past tense - do you mean 'will go'?

Sorry that this post is rather pedantic but I thought I'd better point this out to avoid confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    I thought you were taking a gap year? This sentence seems to be in the past tense - do you mean 'will go'?

Sorry that this post is rather pedantic but I thought I'd better point this out to avoid confusion
    Yes, I am taking a gap year. I mean 'will go'. Thanks for pointing out the tense mistake in the sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Yes, I am taking a gap year.
    Slacker :p:

ReputationRep:
    Check the entry requirements for the universities you're interested in, and if they require or prefer a 4th AS, pick up economics. If not, just concentrate on doing well in the 3 subjects you're taking to A2.

ReputationRep:
    small question - do universities see your actual AS grades or just your predicted A2 grades..

ReputationRep:
    small question - do universities see your actual AS grades or just your predicted A2 grades..
    If you cash in your AS grades, they have to go on your UCAS form. If you don't, the universities will just see your predicted A-level grades. Schools and colleges usually either cash in or don't cash in automatically, so you'll have to find out what their policy is.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.