The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Addict, I take it you drag race your Scoob? Have you ever taken it to Santa Pod? I used to own a modified '88 Mustang 5.0 when I lived in the US. I raced several WRX's before, but none very modified. What have you done to yours? I love the idea of AWD. Almost never had to worry about traction problems. My Mustang used to be plagued wit this problem. That is until I got some drag suspension and slicks, then I could yank the left front tyre ~3inches off the ground :biggrin: :burnout:

I did quite a few modifications to my 'Stang, one of which was a 125 shot of giggle gas :biggrin:. I was able to run mid 12's off the bottle, and low 12's/11.9 on the bottle. I was seriously looking to add a twin turbo set up to my Mustang, but the system cost over $6000. I was only 18 and I paid for all of my things myself, so that was a little much. I started building up my stock Mustang when I was 16, it took almost 2 years to get it that fast. Went from high 14's to high 11's. That's a HUGE difference as I'm sure you know.

Now that I'm here in London, I've downgraded to a VW Golf TD. Very slow, but I do get almost 50mpg :biggrin:, compared to 10mpg in my old Mustang :rolleyes: :driver:
--------------
My baby...

Reply 101
When did you get your license ? - June 29th
What car do you drive ? Citroen Saxo
How much did it cost ? 1250
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? Yes
Any good/bad points about your car? Exhaust did blow but has stopped now
What would you give your car out of 10 ? 8
What would be your dream car ? Ford Focus!!!!
When did you get your license ? About 2.5 years ago
What car do you drive ? Currently a Fiat Punto, used to drive a Fiat Uno
How much did it cost ? Punto - £2200, Uno - £400
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? Punto - yes, Uno - No, I ended up spending quite alot on repairing it when it went wrong, which was quite frequent.
Any good/bad points about your car? The punto is very good on fuel, the Uno was very unreliable so I'd take that into onsideration when getting a car
What would you give your car out of 10 ? 7 & 4
What would be your dream car ? Westfield Sei (should be getting one just after Xmas)
*cough* Caterham ripoff *cough*
shavenwookiee
*cough* Caterham ripoff *cough*

Lotus ripoff in fact.

(And a lot cheaper than a Caterham £5000 as opposed to £12000 for a Caterham)

*cough*get your facts right*cough*
chupacabras
Lotus ripoff in fact.

(And a lot cheaper than a Caterham £5000 as opposed to £12000 for a Caterham)

*cough*get your facts right*cough*

Actually, production of the Lotus 7 stopped years ago, therefore, theyre ripping off Caterham.

And its cheaper for a reason!

*Cough* *Does have his facts right*
Caterham bought the rights to produce the Lotus 7 stlyled car. Both Westfield and Caterham were ripping off the Lotus 7 when they were in production, it was just that Caterham could afford the rights to legitamatly rip it off. They then sued Westfield for making the same car, hence the term "Pre-lit" which is often seen in ads for Westfields.
Please explain the reason for it being cheaper. Considering they're both kits with most parts sourced from one or more donors, the build quality all depends on where these parts come from and who put the car together in the first place.

If I buy a flatpack bookcase for £150 and get my 10 year old cousin to put it together, and then get another one for £20 and get it put together by a qualified joiner, which is going to have the better quality?
When did you get your license ? October 05
What car do you drive ? Fiat Brava 1.4 Manual.
How much did it cost ? £700 cheap off a friend of my dads.
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? I wub it, and beats the hell out of the rust-bucket of a Fiesta i'd have had to of driven otherwise, in all but the sound department.
Any good/bad points about your car? No rev counter, but thats only a small thing. Getting into first can be a pain sometimes, but otherwise i love it. Not bad accelleration, and an unbelievably large boot for was is essentially just a slightly over-grown little hatchback.
What would you give your car out of 10 ? 8.5
What would be your dream car ? DB9 awwww
chupacabras
Caterham bought the rights to produce the Lotus 7 stlyled car. Both Westfield and Caterham were ripping off the Lotus 7 when they were in production, it was just that Caterham could afford the rights to legitamatly rip it off. They then sued Westfield for making the same car, hence the term "Pre-lit" which is often seen in ads for Westfields.
Please explain the reason for it being cheaper. Considering they're both kits with most parts sourced from one or more donors, the build quality all depends on where these parts come from and who put the car together in the first place.

If I buy a flatpack bookcase for £150 and get my 10 year old cousin to put it together, and then get another one for £20 and get it put together by a qualified joiner, which is going to have the better quality?

Clearly we both know enough about kit cars and their history :biggrin:

Caterham are the standard, you cant deny that. If I was looking to buy, I'd be looking for a Caterham.
Yep, we both know our kit cars. Caterham are the one that everyone has heard of, however Westfields are practically the same, neither of the cars have any major differences except the badge, and possibly some of the manufacturer supplied extras (carbon dashes and that). Caterham do have somewhat of a reputation for poor customer service though. The cars are the same quality really, it all that matters is that they've been well put together at the start, however the high price of Caterhams make them far too expensive for me to be able to afford one with the amount of money avaliable at the moment.
Reply 110
When did you get your license ? 23rd july
What car do you drive ? Maroon Toyota Yaris
How much did it cost ? £2700
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? defo its only 2 years old n in great condition!
Any good/bad points about your car? sumhow it always smell new the car and the wheels are gud...lol
What would be your dream car ? renault clio

also can any1 tell me like were do u go 2 get a alarm system fitted on ur car and how much does it cost about?
When did you get your license ? - February 2005
What car do you drive ? Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi
How much did it cost ? £4500
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? Yes and No
Any good/bad points about your car? Quite speedy but guzzles fuel a bit too much! Part of me just wants an older car with loads of miles that would cost less to run (and service) and free up some cash!
What would you give your car out of 10 ? 8/9
What would be your dream car? Porsche! But realistically my next (good) car would be a VW Golf, Audi A3 or Ford Focus.
"Part of me just wants an older car with loads of miles that would cost less to run (and service) and free up some cash!"

Thats what I thought when I bought my first car for £400 with 85k miles on it. However in the long run I must have spent about £800 just keeping it going with the various repairs and so on that it needed.
When did you get your license ? May '05
What car do you drive ? Pug 106. It's being upgraded to a Beetle or a Golf soon.
How much did it cost ? £1500
Do you think it was worth the money you paid ? Yes, v much so.
Any good/bad points about your car? It's been fab to learn in. I can drive into anything and it's just great! It's brilliant on fuel and I'll def miss that, it's been good to learn in def. Bit slow and no posing to it.
What would be your dream car ? If I could have any car now, it'd be a Boxster or an SLK. In the future? I don't know. I'm v into cars but I don't aspire to own them all! I'd be v happy with what my parents have in a few years!
Lady_Muck
What would be your dream car ? If I could have any car now, it'd be a Boxster or an SLK. In the future? I don't know. I'm v into cars but I don't aspire to own them all! I'd be v happy with what my parents have in a few years!

A Boxster!? You'd rather that than a 911 Turbo? You crazy person!

Maybe the Boxster is a more girly car, but the Turbo is where its at!

SLK is a nice car :cool:
Reply 115
Ok then, more realisitically.......

An RX7 or a Fiat Abarth 1000TC
shavenwookiee
A Boxster!? You'd rather that than a 911 Turbo? You crazy person!

Maybe the Boxster is a more girly car, but the Turbo is where its at!

SLK is a nice car :cool:

No, I'm talking realistically, now. If I could have any car NOW (being 18!!) it'd be a boxster or an SLK. Or I'd have a TVR Tuscan I think.

I wouldn't have a 911, I'd have a TVR Sagaris/Tamora.

Latest