Want more information about this university?
This discussion is closed.
clairey
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Does anyone here know anything about the accomodation at Birmingham uni?

I'm planning on going there next year but from all the maps and info they've sent it looks like its all quite a long way from campus. Plus I've been to the main campus and didn't see any accomodation in sight!

Everyone seems to go on about how good it is to be as close to campus as possible but does this really matter if there's good transport? Thanx
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Most of the accomodation is on The Vale, which is (I think) 10-15 mins walk from campus. There are a few other places away from campus. I'm in Manor House, which is about 2 miles south of uni and takes 15 mins or so by bus to get to uni. I know Hunter Court is about a similar distance from uni too, but in the other direction (so closer to the city centre). Queen's Hospital Close is only a short train journey away. If you've got specific questions, ask .
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think i'm gonna go to bham next yr too for english - what subject are u doing? A lot of the accomodation is about 10 mins walk from campus, eg. Tennis Court, which isn't too bad. I guess u just have to get your accomodation application in early!
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Most of the accomodation is on The Vale, which is (I think) 10-15 mins walk from campus. There are a few other places away from campus. I'm in Manor House, which is about 2 miles south of uni and takes 15 mins or so by bus to get to uni. I know Hunter Court is about a similar distance from uni too, but in the other direction (so closer to the city centre). Queen's Hospital Close is only a short train journey away. If you've got specific questions, ask .
What's manor house like? Any specific reasons you picked it? Do you find there are any disadvantages with having to bus it every day? Thanks Nylex
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by serendipity)
What's manor house like? Any specific reasons you picked it? Do you find there are any disadvantages with having to bus it every day? Thanks Nylex
Manor's nice. It's one of the smallest halls, as far as I know (only 128 students or so). I wanted to be there because it's catered and every room has a data point (for internet access). Neither of the other two catered halls have data points, they have computer clusters instead though. Nah, it isn't a problem getting the bus every day, I'm used to that!
clairey
I'm gonna be doing modern languages (french and spanish). Maybe i'll see you there!

Sorry for the delay in replying and cheers for the info, it doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I think I can just about manage a 10 minute walk!
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I was a bit disoppointed with the accomnodation prospectus to - when I went on the open day it looked like for self catered halls tennis court would be ok as on the main campus reasonably close to everything but I didn't see any other self catered and it all looks far away according to do the prospectus.

Also, for the catered halls (and many of the self catered ones to) you have to have a 40 week contract, well i only want to be there for 30/31 weeks (however long the term is basically) which means paying for 10 weeks @ £100 a week = £1000 for accomodation and food that i won't be using.
Also, in general, most of the accomodation looked very expenisve for what you were getting compared sop some other unis that I have looked at.

Did anyone see anywhere on the form where you could specify a preference for individual halls??
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For the catered halls, you only get a 30 week contract. The self-catering places have a 40 week contract.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It defininatly says 40 weeks in the accomodation pack I got sent about a month ago.....maybe they changed it????
clairey
See that's what I meant about the accomodation being far away but if people who are already there (Nylex I assume you're at bham) think it's ok then it must be. Plus bham is one of the most popular unis in the country so it can't be that bad and my heart is so set on going there that I don't think I'd change my mind anyway, but it's interesting to know what others think.
clairey
Sorry obviously you are there! D'oh!
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
It defininatly says 40 weeks in the accomodation pack I got sent about a month ago.....maybe they changed it????
For catered too? My mistake then, soz.
MrIceKool
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah hopefully if i get the grades i'll be there next year doing economics
but i was a bit disapointed that you cannot write down your preference
i'm gonna put myself down for self catering
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I thought maybe you could add it in the additional info box? It's always worth a try I guess.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm at Tennis Courts, studying English. Tip: if you go for Tennis Courts, specify that you want the RENOVATED flats! They are £3 more a week, but they are lovely- we get a breakfast bar, two toilets(non renovated only have one toilet), massive pine desks and nice coloured rooms.

My friend lives in the none renovated ones and although they are not terrible, she is always telling me how much she wishes she was in a flat like ours!

Tennis Courts is great- they are the closest to the Uni (there is a shortcut which takes under 10 mins to get to uni!)

Elgar Court is lovely and posh, but expensive. Chamberlain and Mason are proper 'halls' and thus not as posh, but there is a good social life as you have loads of people on your floor. The Beeches are in Five Ways so are far away.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
P.S. There isn't a space on the form to specify where you want to live, so do what I did- write your preferences in capital letters in the 'other comments' box- I also put it in the margins of the form jut to make sure!

Make sure you do this, or you could end up in....shudder...Maple Bank!
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is Maple Bank really that bad? I heard Ashcroft's not very nice either.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I visited Maple Bank on the open day and really didn't like it, so I put 'not Maple Bank' on my application form!

I don't think Ashcroft is that bad, it seemed OK when I visited it. I don't know anyon e who lives there though.
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I didn't visit the accomodation on the open day. Hunter Court is a pretty nice set of flats too.
Amythompson62
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Is Maple Bank really that bad? I heard Ashcroft's not very nice either.

No its not that bad at all, and everyone I speak to here is glad that they did get it due to the prices of all the posh halls!! Sure its not got nice new pine furniture and a breakfast bar, but its clean and like £1,500 cheaper than Elgar Court next door!!!
You're only here for 30 weeks of the year, do you really need en suite and to live next to the uni?
Maple Bank, Chamerlain and Elgar are 15mins walk away from campus, or theres a bus every half hour that costs 40p.
Other advantages of being on the vale: better atmosphere and only a 10-15min walk to broad street, the city's pub/club/bar street and of course tescos!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (39)
13.27%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (43)
14.63%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (102)
34.69%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
9.86%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
22.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
5.44%

Watched Threads