The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ThugzMansion7
Does anyone know whether or not doing further study like an MSc or PhD in a computer science related field would have any substancial career benefits?

It won't really, at best you might expect about ten thousand extra on your graduate package. The main difference would be the type of jobs you'd be able to get, it might be easier to get straight into the area of compsci that interests you and not start out on a very general footing when you join industry. So if you particularly enjoy a specific area then it'd be worthwhile.

ThugzMansion7
I was hoping one day to go and study a MSc in the US, preferably at a place like MIT, Berkley or Stanford?

Would I stand a chance if I was to graduate with like a 2.1?

I don't know about the US, but for PhD in this country a 2.i should do; however, it's a case of getting funding and at top unis they'll definitely be looking for a 1st. Your best bet would be to talk to some of the academics at your own uni about how many funding opportunities they have etc. The PhD funding application deadline for the engineering and physical sciences research council is the end of February or March if I recall correctly so you have plenty of time to approach people in the next term if you're going into your final year.

Generally, most PhD's I've talked to say that you should only really do it for the love of the subject and not as a career progression, so bear that in mind!

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending