Question about Medical PS :s Watch

This discussion is closed.
friendlyneutron
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm applying to read Medicine and trying to write my PS at the mo (ugh). The main thing that inspired me to think about a medical career was the care I recieved when I was an inpatient in an Eating Disorders Unit a while ago. I'm confused as to whether or not I should mention this or not as i'm worried that admissions tutors might view me as liability incase I end up relapsing during uni. However, on the other hand it does give me the advantage of having seen medicine from "both sides of the bed", as it were.

I do have an interest in Psychiatry (I've done some Psych work experience and a lot of background reading, as well as actually, you know, being a psych patient) and I'm also in two minds over including this as well, as they may think I have too much of a vested interest having suffered from mental illness myself. Am I being paranoid about all of this? Advice please!
Steeeeevo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by friendlyneutron)
I'm applying to read Medicine and trying to write my PS at the mo (ugh). The main thing that inspired me to think about a medical career was the care I recieved when I was an inpatient in an Eating Disorders Unit a while ago. I'm confused as to whether or not I should mention this or not as i'm worried that admissions tutors might view me as liability incase I end up relapsing during uni. However, on the other hand it does give me the advantage of having seen medicine from "both sides of the bed", as it were.

I do have an interest in Psychiatry (I've done some Psych work experience and a lot of background reading, as well as actually, you know, being a psych patient) and I'm also in two minds over including this as well, as they may think I have too much of a vested interest having suffered from mental illness myself. Am I being paranoid about all of this? Advice please!
I wouldnt mention about your experiences as a patient, most people have been to hospital for some reason or another and the fact they have been doesnt make them a better doctor, so it looks like your just trying to fill the space with useless facts, you say you have has experience from both sides of the bed, just concentrate on your experience from a doctors point of view, thats what universitys really want to know about.
friendlyneutron
Rep:
?
(Original post by Steeeeevo)
I wouldnt mention about your experiences as a patient, most people have been to hospital for some reason or another and the fact they have been doesnt make them a better doctor, so it looks like your just trying to fill the space with useless facts, you say you have has experience from both sides of the bed, just concentrate on your experience from a doctors point of view, thats what universitys really want to know about.
I see where you're coming from, but I would have mentioned it in the context of how I got interested in medicine, and although most people have been to hospital, I was there for 2 months and it made a huge impact on my life - and hopefully will make me a more empathetic doctor! But yeah, it could come across as a bit irrelevant and I'll probably have the chance to mention it at interview if I decide to!
Steeeeevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by friendlyneutron)
I see where you're coming from, but I would have mentioned it in the context of how I got interested in medicine, and although most people have been to hospital, I was there for 2 months and it made a huge impact on my life - and hopefully will make me a more empathetic doctor! But yeah, it could come across as a bit irrelevant and I'll probably have the chance to mention it at interview if I decide to!
Yeah you could put it across better in an interview and would work in the way you are hoping.
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But suddenly explaining that at interview makes you look like you were dishonest in your PS, and they really won't like that.

Honesty is the best policy. Put it into your PS, but try and make it sound like you're in control of your illness, you understand it and want to help others the same way you were helped, you know how much it impact medicine can make on someone's life and are therefore determined to do the degree, your determination evident from fighting your ED.

Anyone want to write my med PS? I'm as boring as anything though :hmpf:
friendlyneutron
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice! I could always put it in the mental health difficulties section but put a positive spin on it?
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could always just mention that you were in hospital for an extended length of time an not mention why...
Steeeeevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, I dont think you will be dishonest for not mentioning it and there is not requirement to mention it if you dont want / need to. I agree with Bekaboo, put in that you have spent an extended period in hospital, but dont go into too much detail and make sure its tastefully done.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (225)
27.71%
No (587)
72.29%

Watched Threads