The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Explaining SOAS

Is it just my small minded friends/colleagues/family, or does the reply to 'What university and subject are you doing?' cause people to look at you with an unabashed confusion when you say SOAS?
Has anyone else had that really awkward moment where you had to explain that it's part of the University of London (which no-one's heard of as it's split into colleges and schools) before likening it to UCL?
I think we should make it our mission to promulgate the good word of SOAS... :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here, Here!!! Totally in agreement with u there Diachrom. Coming from a country like Sweden, when asked which school I will be studying in, I go...................it is a very prestigious university called SOAS and it is part of the University of London! And they go............aha, the university of London...............u gonna be studying at the university of london? which I didnt say I was, but I let them think so................
London
Reply 2
Hear, hear!!!
With most people i just say im going to the University of London because its easier. With those who know the slightest thing about academia i expand and say SOAS as well. I cant say ive ever experienced ignorance over the UoL as a whole although people often think im going to UCL when ive said UoL.
Reply 4
I've had exactly the same problem. Except mine is two fold. I have to explain that SOAS is a part of the UoL AND then explain what Linguistics is.
Id have thought people would know what linguistics is. My old degree was a nightmare to explain - neuroscience - firstly because they would never understand the name 'what? euro sceance?' and then they would have a clue what it was. I got fed up in the end and just started saying 'Biology and Chemistry'.
Reply 6
an Siarach
Id have thought people would know what linguistics is. My old degree was a nightmare to explain - neuroscience - firstly because they would never understand the name 'what? euro sceance?' and then they would have a clue what it was. I got fed up in the end and just started saying 'Biology and Chemistry'.

How old are ya, if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:
zaf1986
How old are ya, if you don't mind me asking? :biggrin:

20 :frown: close but no cigar with regards being a mature student (at least until next year!).
Reply 8
an Siarach

I'd have thought people would know what linguistics is too - but it seems that I am destined to keep going through the same dialogue: "Linguistics? Whats that?"
Reply 9
I am totally agreed wiv you all abt the name of SOAS is not widely recognized. I did my BSc Econ at SOAS while missed the grade to go to UCL. SOAS has great staff but the facility and the reputation in the wider world doesn't reflect its strong academic. Reputation is something superficial but in nowadays world with all the university competing for best faculty, best students and funding, the marketing comes ever more important to a university. So I hope as an alumni, I hope we can join force to do something to widen the good name of the school.
are you in LSE now?
Reply 11
GoWentGone, what did you think about the BSc Econ program there? I'm going to apply to the Econ+Chinese program at SOAS so I was just wondering what you thought about it. The professors, the students, the school, the location, everything!! :biggrin: thank yououoououououuuu!!
Reply 12
someone post something about SOAS in the university guide thing :biggrin:
Hey JakeR, I'm currently a 1st year econ student and I'll tell you all about it from my view.

First off the lecturers. Economic maths is taught by Satoshi, he uses a lot of powerpoint presentations and explains things clearly which is pretty good. But if you've done A-level maths, it'll be pretty damn easy for you. Also, with lectures being on at 9:00 in the morning, i find it pretty hard to concentrate (don't really need to though since I've done it before).
McCartney teaches Comparative growth in Asia + Africa, and I can say he is probably the best lecturer, I can actually concentrate for the whole of the 2 hours. Most of his stuff is pretty interesting too since it relates to real life case studies.
Gupta teaches Introduction to Economic Analysis, but I find the lectures very boring because she has a strong Indian accent (no offence to any Indians here) and she speaks way too fast. Most of the stuff she goes through is just lifted from the Economics book by Begg, Fischer and Dornbusch anyway so make sure you get that, most of my friends just read the book and don't even bother turning up to the lectures.

Chances are you'll probably have different lectures except for Satoshi. All the lecturers are pretty nice and friendly but obviously teaching ability is the most important.

I do a Chinese floater too, and lectures are really well done. Song is teaching me, and its pretty interesting (though its a bit disgraceful for me since I'm the only Chinese person taking basic Chinese) :frown:.

School wise like people have said SOAS isn't recognised very often, but I hear internationally it is pretty well known and respected so if you are thinking of working abroad then studying at SOAS could be useful as SOAS apparently has a lot of international connections.

People here are really friendly as expected, and there are quite a few socities to meet people who share similar interests. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding friends and cool people to hang out with.

Location wise I think SOAS is in a great place. Its in goodge street so arcades, restuarants and entertainment are all nearby. Being near Chinatown is also a big bonus, only a few stops away travelling on the Picaddily line so lovely food and probably the best arcade there (trocadero). I forgot to add that obviously being in London, its damn expensive so you should watch your wallet!

Whew, hope that helps and sorry for making it so along! If you got any questions you think I can answer then ask away!
Reply 14
Pretty much what Hard Boiled Cop said. You should be aware that economics at SOAS is probably better if you're interested in development economics and heterodox views and not investment banking. Also, during the first year of doing Chinese and Economics you will only be able to take intro to econ analysis and not comp. growth which is the more interesting course.
Reply 15
I am thinking about applying to SOAS next year. I know SOAS is a very good school, but the fact that few people know about bothers me.
bryan
I am thinking about applying to SOAS next year. I know SOAS is a very good school, but the fact that few people know about bothers me.

The people who matter know about it. Any who ,by chance, dont will certainly know the UoL.
what does SOAS mean anyway ?
Reply 18
iceman_jondoe
what does SOAS mean anyway ?

Reply 19
an Siarach
The people who matter know about it. Any who ,by chance, dont will certainly know the UoL.

:ditto:

I've had enough of having to explain!

Maybe i should wear a badge

azs*

Latest

Trending

Trending