Bumping up UCAS points Watch

This discussion is closed.
sorrento
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I've had my eye on a broadcasting technology course over at staffs uni for a while now.. Apparently I need at least 60 more UCAS points to get in.

I have recently done an AVCE in IT double-award which I got a C/D for = 140 points. I also did a few of the Cisco programmes which are 'unclassified' by UCAS at this moment in time.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a simular situation, in which they need to 'bump up their points'? I'd be happy to do a part-time course at college. I hope to join uni in 2006 so I've the next year to do something!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Dan
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Some universities allow key skills points to be added to the A-level points. If you have done some and the university allows key skills, those will be added.

Since you are interested in a part time course, you could do an extra AS or A-level to bump the points up as an alternative.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could take an extra AS, but you'd need an A to get 60 points, so it might be better to take a full A-level where you'd only need a D.
ed,edd,eddd,edddd
Report 13 years ago
i did avce business and added as maths to bump up my ucas points in my second college year, i would advise to do any as level full-time cause its more difficult doing it part time,
i had a 3hr lesson every tuesday from 6-9pm, there were only 3 people including myself who were 18 the rest were over 24, the class started out with over 30 people and if you arrived late you wouldnt find a seat, by February 2005 less than 10 people were left in the class, I thought of quiting a couple of times cause it was hard to understand the math mainly cause of the extremely fast paced teaching style,
two weeks before the maths exam i locked myself in my bedroom and focused on the math day and night, I got a B-grade for that and its the hardest studying i have ever done in my life,
If you are planning to study an As-level part-time and you go to a crappy school or college, i would advise you to be ready for a lot of work cause you will basically be doing the subject alone without a lot of help from a teacher
*katy*
Report 13 years ago
random idea here, but do you play any instruments? cos i'm pretty sure you can get ucas points for doing grades 6,7 or 8 of the ABRSM exams. although it may not be as many as 60 points :-S
sorrento
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks for your comments guys & gals, I appreciate it. I think I'll go to my local FE college and talk to them about an AS level or something equivalent. I did my AVCE there and they're a good lot (unlike some 6th form colleges I could mention).

I can pretend to play the guitar.. but thats about it
BexTait
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Get in touch with the uni about your Cisco bits, as they may recognise them even if UCAS don't.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads