Turn on thread page Beta

University Badgering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from my first and second choice Unis for English Lit (Nottingham and Warwick). Do you think there is any point me hassling them to give me a place? Anyone know anyone who has?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I got rejected from my first and second choice Unis for English Lit (Nottingham and Warwick). Do you think there is any point me hassling them to give me a place? Anyone know anyone who has?
    No i don't think it will do you any good, especially at Warwick. My friend got rejected from UCL and she tried to find out they reason why they rejected her but they wouldn't even tell her that! I would be extremely surprised if they changed their minds (it isnt normal practice). If you are that desperate to go there, then you could get the grades, take a gap year, and reapply next year? I know someone that got rejected by Warwick last year, so when he got above their typical offer at A-level, he sent them a letter saying that it was there lose, he has gone somewhere else and got better grades then they want, so.....

ReputationRep:
    Are you normally interviewed for places at Nottingham or Warwick? Thing is a friend of mine who was rejected for veterinary medicine at Glasgow phoned the admissions tutor up and asked why she hadnt been offered a place. They said it was just due to the competition and that otherwise she was a strong candidate. So she asked them that if anyone should cancel for their interview, could she possibly take their place? The following monday they said that if she could get to the vet school for the following day she could have an interview. She did, and is now in her second year there (they changed their minds and offered her a place!). So maybe you could do a similar thing - at least it shows that you are keen to go to that uni, and you wont be expecting them to do the impossible.Just a thought..

ReputationRep:
    Unless you were going to reapply, I don't think it could hurt, huh? However I really wouldn't hold my breath, I've never heard of such a thing. I'm always up for forgoing my dignity and trying the impossible though. I would!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Are you normally interviewed for places at Nottingham or Warwick? Thing is a friend of mine who was rejected for veterinary medicine at Glasgow phoned the admissions tutor up and asked why she hadnt been offered a place. They said it was just due to the competition and that otherwise she was a strong candidate. So she asked them that if anyone should cancel for their interview, could she possibly take their place? The following monday they said that if she could get to the vet school for the following day she could have an interview. She did, and is now in her second year there (they changed their minds and offered her a place!). So maybe you could do a similar thing - at least it shows that you are keen to go to that uni, and you wont be expecting them to do the impossible.Just a thought..
    It depends on the course, but for Eng lit they dont normally interview, it is normally just courses like teaching, veterinary, medicine and law that places interview for (expect for Oxbridge where they interview everyone)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    It depends on the course, but for Eng lit they dont normally interview, it is normally just courses like teaching, veterinary, medicine and law that places interview for (expect for Oxbridge where they interview everyone)
    Oh right I didnt know - sorry...Im a future vet as well you see - not an englishy person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Oh right I didnt know - sorry...Im a future vet as well you see - not an englishy person!
    Im not an englishy person either, its just that i know about the courses that get interviewed - it was drummed into us at school and i know people that went thought it last year and of course me and my friends that are going though it this year! Good luck with the veterinary! Have you had any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Im not an englishy person either, its just that i know about the courses that get interviewed - it was drummed into us at school and i know people that went thought it last year and of course me and my friends that are going though it this year! Good luck with the veterinary! Have you had any offers yet?
    Yeh I have two offers from Edinburgh and the Royal Veterinary College, London - still waiting to hear from bristol and Liverpool...hopefully should hear something in the next week or so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Yeh I have two offers from Edinburgh and the Royal Veterinary College, London - still waiting to hear from bristol and Liverpool...hopefully should hear something in the next week or so!
    Well done! My friend got a place at RVCL but was rejected from Bristol! She really wants to go to RVCL now, eventhough Bristol was originally her first choice! Good Luck, im sure u'll hear soon! The competition for Vet school is immense! They really need to get some more places that do it!

ReputationRep:
    Well done! My friend got a place at RVCL but was rejected from Bristol! She really wants to go to RVCL now, eventhough Bristol was originally her first choice! Good Luck, im sure u'll hear soon! The competition for Vet school is immense! They really need to get some more places that do it!
    Where else has she applied? Did she have an interview at bristol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Where else has she applied? Did she have an interview at bristol?
    No they didnt even give her an interview - she has had interviews at RVCL and cambridge. I cant think where else she has applied, sorry! However she has jointed the forum recently - i'll check her user name and PM it to you!

ReputationRep:
    They used to do some interviews for English at Warwick.

Badgering them probably wont really get you anywhere they are very competitive unis, I guess you've got nothing to lose so you could try but I wouldnt hold out much hope for Nottingham but when my cousin went on an open day at Warwick he got talking to one of the tutors and ended up with quite a low offer for Warwick so I guess they might be worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're thinking of reapplying to them next year, you've got nothing to loose. If you phone up and ask about it then atleast you may feel a little better if you know why you are rejected. I would phone, not email though, you have more chance to sweetalk them and you are putting them on the spot to tell you why you didn't get an offer rather than being able to think of what to say if you send them an email.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.