The Student Room Group

into Medicine with BTEC Medical Science?

Hey everyone,
I'm doing BTEC Medical Science, taking it into National Diploma next year. Gonna be all Distinctions. Plus I'm taking AS Maths and Sociology, and next year A-level Maths.
Do you think that this qualification could be accepted by Medical Unis? I'm thinking about Newcastle, Sheffield or Cardiff. They say on their pages that they do accept BTEC on high distinctions, but I'm still not sure wether I'll have chance, because as we all know, Unis are rather critical towards BTEC qualifications.
Anyone - any experience?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you should have done AS's in Chemistry and Biology
Reply 2
ExitSoul
you should have done AS's in Chemistry and Biology

I agree with this person. Biology and Chemistry are what you want.
Reply 3
yes I know. But when I started with my BTEC course, I didn't know that Unis are so critical about it. The other thing is that there isn't an option of taking Biology and Chemistry A levels in the college I'm at...
Look at Medicine with a Foundation Year if you don't have, and have no way of getting, any Bio or Chem qualifications. Or Access to Medicine.
Reply 5
if the unis say that they accept them then they accept them. i know for sure that newcastle is fine for you as a friend of mine got into newcastle with a BTEC in applied sciences and no Alevels. i think peninsular take BTEC too because they base their offers on tariff points and with 3 distinctions you will rack up 360points then you only need 40 more points from your alevels to make up their tyipical offer.

i would def email/call the unis before you apply to check but it would be strange for them to put it on their site and then tell you that they wont accept your qualifications. access to med and foundation years are just more studying when you prob wont need it.
Reply 6
anon2010
if the unis say that they accept them then they accept them. i know for sure that newcastle is fine for you as a friend of mine got into newcastle with a BTEC in applied sciences and no Alevels. i think peninsular take BTEC too because they base their offers on tariff points and with 3 distinctions you will rack up 360points then you only need 40 more points from your alevels to make up their tyipical offer.

i would def email/call the unis before you apply to check but it would be strange for them to put it on their site and then tell you that they wont accept your qualifications. access to med and foundation years are just more studying when you prob wont need it.

Thank you so much. I was just a bit confused because I never actually heard of anyone who got into Medicine with BTEC. And as there's no Alevel Biology or Chemistry in my college, I found it a bit tricky to send my applications next year without knowing if it's even possible to get in. Great to know that your friend managed to get to Newcastle with BTEC. Thanks again :wink:
Reply 7
Maja_maja
Hey everyone,
I'm doing BTEC Medical Science, taking it into National Diploma next year. Gonna be all Distinctions. Plus I'm taking AS Maths and Sociology, and next year A-level Maths.
Do you think that this qualification could be accepted by Medical Unis? I'm thinking about Newcastle, Sheffield or Cardiff. They say on their pages that they do accept BTEC on high distinctions, but I'm still not sure wether I'll have chance, because as we all know, Unis are rather critical towards BTEC qualifications.
Anyone - any experience?
Thanks!

OMG!! If i didnt know better i would say i wrote this... if u have to trust anyone on this subject it has to be me!! i research this kind of things everyday. yes u can!!! make sure u email/telephone the unis u're choosing cos most of them accept but they have limited spaces.
and whatever people say to u: DO NOT DO A BIOMEDICAL DEGREE AND THEN TRY TO GET INTO MEDICINE cos it's waaaaay harder. Good luck to both of us :p:
Reply 8
Maja_maja
Hey everyone,

Sheffield do accept BTEC's so long as you get straight distinctions. As to whether that disadvantages you? Well, I've never met anyone on my course with a BTEC... :s-smilie: You would have been better off doing A-level's, but now you are doing the BTEC, it doesn't automatically rule you out as uni's still accept it. But I personally think it will be harder for you, simply because BTEC's aren't viewed as academically rigourous as A-levels so you would have to really stand out among other applicants. It's certainly doable though.

If you got a good UKCAT 720+, I'd say you stand a good chance at Sheffield as they are really all about the UKCAT. So long as you met minimum academics, you will most likely get an interview if you score well in the UKCAT.
Reply 9
katyness
OMG!! If i didnt know better i would say i wrote this... if u have to trust anyone on this subject it has to be me!! i research this kind of things everyday. yes u can!!! make sure u email/telephone the unis u're choosing cos most of them accept but they have limited spaces.
and whatever people say to u: DO NOT DO A BIOMEDICAL DEGREE AND THEN TRY TO GET INTO MEDICINE cos it's waaaaay harder. Good luck to both of us :p:

thank you, no I'm not planning to do biomedical degree first, would love to get straight to medicine :smile: good luck!
Reply 10
krisblade
You would have been better off doing A-level's, but now you are doing the BTEC, it doesn't automatically rule you out as uni's still accept it. But I personally think it will be harder for you, simply because BTEC's aren't viewed as academically rigourous as A-levels so you would have to really stand out among other applicants. It's certainly doable though.

that's what I'm worried about. That even if it's accepted, they don't really take it seriously. I'll give it a try though. If I won't get in, I'll be certainly disappointed... I'll get a voluntary work during the summer or in the beginning of next year, and make sure that I'll get distinctions in BTEC, and then hopefully I'll feel a bit more confident :wink: thank you!
You should look into spicing your application up through the use of like you said voluntary activities; a good one which is often held in high regard is the DoE award and it should help give your application the shine it needs that is when combined with all distinctions.

Good Luck.
Ascendansy
You should look into spicing your application up through the use of like you said voluntary activities; a good one which is often held in high regard is the DoE award and it should help give your application the shine it needs that is when combined with all distinctions.

Good Luck.

Lol, no. It's far too easy to achieve now and most applicants have it. I was actually laughed at in one of my interviews for bringing it up.
Reply 13
RollerBall
Lol, no. It's far too easy to achieve now and most applicants have it. I was actually laughed at in one of my interviews for bringing it up.

Yeah, ditto this. When I was writing my PS I looked up medical PS's and I swear nearly every single one mentioned DoE, everyone seems to get it for some reason. I don't think it will make an applicant stand out at all considering the number of people who have it. Better off doing something a bit more unique and more relevant.
Reply 14
krisblade
I don't think it will make an applicant stand out at all considering the number of people who have it. Better off doing something a bit more unique and more relevant.

any ideas what's more unique and more relevant? :smile::confused:
Reply 15
Maja_maja
any ideas what's more unique and more relevant? :smile::confused:

Assuming you are end of y12? It's not so much a matter of "uniqueness" as many things relatively unique things like Nuffield bursary require you to apply a year in advance.

However, it all depends on what you've already done work experience and volunteering wise. I'd say getting a long term placement as a ward volunteer would be far more relevant than DoE. You have to see what hospitals around you offer for medical applicant. Mine even ran a scheme for volunteering. Also if you are end of y12, age restricts you. There are some work placements and jobs you can't do as you have to be 18 as well...

What have you done so far?
Reply 16
krisblade
Assuming you are end of y12? It's not so much a matter of "uniqueness" as many things relatively unique things like Nuffield bursary require you to apply a year in advance.

However, it all depends on what you've already done work experience and volunteering wise. I'd say getting a long term placement as a ward volunteer would be far more relevant than DoE. You have to see what hospitals around you offer for medical applicant. Mine even ran a scheme for volunteering. Also if you are end of y12, age restricts you. There are some work placements and jobs you can't do as you have to be 18 as well...

What have you done so far?

What made you assume that I'm end of 12?
I'm 18. So age shouldn't be a problem.

You know I just moved to the UK a couple of months ago, so I don't really have any experience with volunteering here. I have a friend, she is a pediatrician and I've been helping her out so many times, and observed quite a bit, too. Then I've taken First Aid course in Red Cross, I have the certificate as well. Planning to do something proper in the beginning of next year, I don't really have any opportunities now... The best idea is probably get into the local hospital or something like that, innit?
Reply 17
Maja_maja
What made you assume that I'm end of 12?
I'm 18. So age shouldn't be a problem.

You know I just moved to the UK a couple of months ago, so I don't really have any experience with volunteering here. I have a friend, she is a pediatrician and I've been helping her out so many times, and observed quite a bit, too. Then I've taken First Aid course in Red Cross, I have the certificate as well. Planning to do something proper in the beginning of next year, I don't really have any opportunities now... The best idea is probably get into the local hospital or something like that, innit?

Cos you said you were taking AS's and I have no idea how many years BTECS are so I based it on that. AS's are generally done in y12 when someone is 16/17. :smile: Sorry!

I would say you NEED to start getting some work experience and volunteering. Long term volunteering a few hours a week is generally better than volunteering full time for a week, as it shows long term commitment. There are many different types, you could try retirement homes, hospitals and charities. Age Concern run a befriending scheme where you can visit an elderly person in their home once a week and some local hospitals have volunteering placements. Some only offer helping out with tea and newspapers, whereas others have ones directed at med students that allow you to be more involved in patient care, feeding, changing beds etc. It's not glamourous but you can learn a lot.

Work experience - you need to apply to a hospital, GP, pharmacy... something ASAP, assuming you are applying next academic year. Many hospitals have people applying months if not a year in advance! I had to apply for mine in the Summer of y11 to get a placement at Easter y12, so you might struggle to find anything. Also, some GP's don't like taking local students, due patient confidentiality - you knowing patients. My local GP only takes people who live over ten miles away for some reason, so try looking at GP not directly in the area as well.

As you are over 18, you could also consider working in the NHS. It's like volunteering except you get paaaaid :biggrin: You could be a phlebotomist or HCA for example. Start looking for vacancies in hospitals near you. Some jobs can be very flexible if you work on bank staff - that's what I do. I have no contract or set hours, so it means I can work during the holidays when other staff take annual leave for example. I also know med students who are MLA's, but thats more lab work, not really much patient contact.

Other things like St Johns, being a leader with the Guides are things you could consider that some of my friends did while applying. Also make sure you have some extra-cir activites. It's not all work, you need to show you have other interests. Sports teams, hobbies, music etc. I was specifically asked about extra-circs in my interview, so it can be important.

There are so many things you can do. Without at least a week or two proper work experience and a good few months volunteering, theres no point looking for more exciting things as this is really the MINIMUM you need to be comparable to other applicants. Once you've done some of these things, then you can focus on doing extra stuff.
Reply 18
krisblade

I would say you NEED to start getting some work experience and volunteering. Long term volunteering a few hours a week is generally better than volunteering full time for a week, as it shows long term commitment. There are many different types, you could try retirement homes, hospitals and charities. Age Concern run a befriending scheme where you can visit an elderly person in their home once a week and some local hospitals have volunteering placements. Some only offer helping out with tea and newspapers, whereas others have ones directed at med students that allow you to be more involved in patient care, feeding, changing beds etc. It's not glamourous but you can learn a lot.

Work experience - you need to apply to a hospital, GP, pharmacy... something ASAP, assuming you are applying next academic year. Many hospitals have people applying months if not a year in advance! I had to apply for mine in the Summer of y11 to get a placement at Easter y12, so you might struggle to find anything. Also, some GP's don't like taking local students, due patient confidentiality - you knowing patients. My local GP only takes people who live over ten miles away for some reason, so try looking at GP not directly in the area as well.

thanks for being so helpful!
I promise I'll figure something out! :smile:
:shakehand:
Reply 19
Original post by sxcmitzy
Why are you b u l l s h I t t I n g for you jelous b a s t a r d. It would have been better with a-levs but 2 of my friends got into bristol wiv btec nd 1 went to newcastle, nd sheffield says they do btecs so it must PAL.<br />
<br />
nd i'd love to hear how it goes Gd luck
<br />
<br />

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
I love this reply.
Im also doing btec and pursuing to get into medicine
How did it go for you?

Quick Reply