The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi, anyone know where I can get the latest Syllabus (if any) for economics HL?

Thanks
Reply 21
Skip it, we were recommended to focus on micro.
Reply 22
Market Failure is probably the easiest unit so don't worry. The only things I won't be studying are Oligopoly diagrams and elasticity. I ******* hate elasticity. I'm best in Macro/Development and Market Failure so my prof said I should be able to do p2 pretty easily.
Reply 23
I haven't bothered to try learning it as its absolutely useless. I love the fact that every question in the tests are optional.
Reply 24
Harris
Market Failure is probably the easiest unit so don't worry. The only things I won't be studying are Oligopoly diagrams and elasticity. I ******* hate elasticity. I'm best in Macro/Development and Market Failure so my prof said I should be able to do p2 pretty easily.

Yeah, paper 2 does usually feature externalities, and something about AD/AS analysis, so you'll be fine.

But still a neocon, though...
Reply 25
Focus08
Yeah, paper 2 does usually feature externalities, and something about AD/AS analysis, so you'll be fine.

But still a neocon, though...

Isn't Warwick supposed to industrialist and pro-business? You should love me! Oh wait, I forgot you're a university student.

Churchill said it best I think: "If not a Liberal at twenty you have no heart, if not a Conservative at forty you have no brain"

I was just born without a heart.
Reply 26
Harris
Isn't Warwick supposed to industrialist and pro-business? You should love me! Oh wait, I forgot you're a university student.

Churchill said it best I think: "If not a Liberal at twenty you have no heart, if not a Conservative at forty you have no brain"

I was just born without a heart.

Haha, I just have a skewed image of them, thinking they're all war-mongering Palins... I'm no liberal btw
Our teacher sent us an email regarding the length of our answers for Paper 1 and 3. Just thought I'd share them with you.

This is the answer of an examiner to a question regarding the length of answers in paper one and three in IB econ. forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll take a shot at Dave's question and trust that Manuel, as always, will let me know when I've stepped out of bounds. It's been several years since I've marked Paper 1s, but have been doing SL Paper 2s/HL Paper 3s steadily for 10 years, BTW.

Although nowhere is this expressed, the reality is that for a high score, we're "normally" looking for something like 4-6 pages written pages to answer part "b" in Paper 1. OF COURSE students can do a great job in fewer pages; OF COURSE they can write more and say very little. But nevertheless - a realistic rule of thumb. In those pages, we want to see them define key terms properly and include a variety of neat/complete diagrams that are clearly explained. We want them to identify perhaps 4 or 5 key points, and to discuss at least 2 or 3 in detail. We want to see sophisticated understanding of economic theory as it applies to the question, and we want to see clear examples of evaluation on their part, especially looking at the pros/cons of various policies, etc.

The SL Paper 2/HL Paper 3s are probably going to be more like 2 or 3 pages in length: significantly less, as you would expect. Again - there is no formal page counting going on, but the fact is that length of response is often (but not always) related to comprehensiveness of response. Here we're looking specifically for reference to the data/text itself, mentioning several relevant key issues and analyzing a couple of them in detail, and evaluation of policies/options, etc.

I don't want to be too specific for fear of inviting senior examiners' ire, but I think this gives you some idea, and hope it helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does he mean 4-6 pages for section B? That's a lot to write in one hour! I mean it's not even one hour, it's half an hour since it's 30 minutes each for part (a) and (b). And does he mean skipping lines or not? Did anyone know this piece of info before?
Reply 28
satisfactionatlast

What does he mean 4-6 pages for section B?

write big :p:

ps) the paper the IB provide us with doesnt have as many lines as normal lined paper so chillax dude.
maybesBABY
write big :p:

ps) the paper the IB provide us with doesnt have as many lines as normal lined paper so chillax dude.

are we supposed to skip lines? I never skip lines for anything.
the question is, 4 to 6 pages... 4 to 6 sides or 4 to 6 sheets?
Reply 31
i think its 4 to 6 sides....
Also don't forget diagrams - they take up LOADS of lines.
Reply 33
i wont be writing that much, i did about that for my history and english essays :s-smilie:
candyflossangels
Also don't forget diagrams - they take up LOADS of lines.

haha my diagrams only take about 4 to 5 lines. I write small:p:
Reply 35
satisfactionatlast
haha my diagrams only take about 4 to 5 lines. I write small:p:

Bro, 30/30 is really dumb for paper 1. Make it 20/40.

Do any of you know where i can find past papers btw?
Harris
Bro, 30/30 is really dumb for paper 1. Make it 20/40.

Do any of you know where i can find past papers btw?

what do you mean by 30/30? lines?

and you can find past papers on http://freeexampapers.com/
or ibpapers.net

I can't believe you never used Econ past papers before:p:
Reply 37
Also, does anyone know if Economics exams have timezones? When I looked at past papers there aren't TZ1 or TZ2.
Reply 38
I wrote about 3-4 pages in my part B for paper 1 and I got a 6... 4-6 pages seems like a lot.
Reply 39
I only studied Microeconomics for my exam... and I don't know if I was lucky or if it's just always like that but there were enough micro questions for me to do the whole (or at least if i remember correctly, might be most of the) exam on just micro... Although I couldn't pick which questions to do since I was restricted to micro ones, but then again, I knew micro so well that I could easily answer them all.

Latest

Trending

Trending