The Student Room Group

How important is the Fresher's week?

Hi there,

I'm an international student and a bit worried about missing the fresher's week in University of Plymouth. It'll start on 19th September' 05 and my term will commence on 26th of the same month. I'll hopefully apply for my visa on 1st September' 05 (i know i'm too late to apply, but still have some chances), and it'll take around 3 weeks to get the visa (as suggested by the British High Commissions in Bangladesh). So, if it takes completely 3 weeks to get the visa I'll most probably miss the fresher's week and will be starting my class right after I arrive UK.

Being an overseas student, I don't have much idea about the fresher's week. So, could anyone please suggest me how important is that week for the freshers?

Am I going to be in great disadvantage if I miss it?

Thanks,
Ashique
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Hi there,

I'm an international student and a bit worried about missing the fresher's week in University of Plymouth. It'll start on 19th September' 05 and my term will commence on 26th of the same month. I'll hopefully apply for my visa on 1st September' 05 (i know i'm too late to apply, but still have some chances), and it'll take around 3 weeks to get the visa (as suggested by the British High Commissions in Bangladesh). So, if it takes completely 3 weeks to get the visa I'll most probably miss the fresher's week and will be starting my class right after I arrive UK.

Being an overseas student, I don't have much idea about the fresher's week. So, could anyone please suggest me how important is that week for the freshers?

Am I going to be in great disadvantage if I miss it?

Thanks,
Ashique

I don't know much about how's the fresher week in University of Plymouth like. To certain extent, you will be disadvantaged if you miss it in terms of getting around with your classmates and your campus.

However, I guess you don't need to be worry so much. I think you can get your visa before that date. I don't know how's the situation in Bangladesh but i got back my visa within 2 days which is slightly different from what they told me 5 days or more. Since you are running out of time, I would suggest you to prepare all the documents well and provide them as much as you can because you can only make it done once. You dont have much time to appeal if they rejected you :wink:

The most important thing is that have you booked your flight ticket? You have to delay if there is no more seat even you get your visa in time. All the best ya! DON'T WORRYBE HAPPY :biggrin:
eugenia99093
I don't know how's the situation in Bangladesh but i got back my visa within 2 days which is slightly different from what they told me 5 days or more.
Wow! you got your visa within two days! It's also amazing to me that they can give you UK visa within 5 days or within one week. Where are you from?

In my country, it's possible to get the tourist visa within a week. However, the duration of getting student visa is much longer. :frown: It's becoz they need to verify whether I've sufficient funds or not, and all other formalities.

eugenia99093
The most important thing is that have you booked your flight ticket? You have to delay if there is no more seat even you get your visa in time. All the best ya! DON'T WORRYBE HAPPY :biggrin:
Ah! thanx for reminding me about booking flight ticket :smile: ... but I don't know exactly on which day I'll be able to go. I prefer to go to UK on 19th or atleast within the fresher's week (i.e. 19th-23rd Sep), but I can't go if I get the visa on 23rd. :confused: I think, to be on the safe side, I need to book the flight for 24th or 25th of Sep' 05. What do you think?
Reply 3
The first few days of the freshers week are to go to talks with tutors and things (although this might be different depending on the course), If you got an information pack from them it will all be in that.

Enrolment and a few other inductions are the first 3 days so i think it is quite important, unless you can tell them that you may not be there for these days and arrange to do it other days.
Reply 4
I agree with Oziris that enrolment is essential. I know that I can enrol online this year but am not sure if this is because I am a 2nd year or not? In any case, if you can't make the enrolment day, you sure ring the university and ask if you can do it online or at another date.
Reply 5
You have to enrol online, either at home or using the computers there, and take the enrolment certificate to your subject tutor to sign. Then you take it to your enrolment session (which is on a sheet they should have sent in the information pack).
Alrite! thanx Oziris and nikk. :smile:
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Wow! you got your visa within two days! It's also amazing to me that they can give you UK visa within 5 days or within one week. Where are you from?

In my country, it's possible to get the tourist visa within a week. However, the duration of getting student visa is much longer. :frown: It's becoz they need to verify whether I've sufficient funds or not, and all other formalities.

Ah! thanx for reminding me about booking flight ticket :smile: ... but I don't know exactly on which day I'll be able to go. I prefer to go to UK on 19th or atleast within the fresher's week (i.e. 19th-23rd Sep), but I can't go if I get the visa on 23rd. :confused: I think, to be on the safe side, I need to book the flight for 24th or 25th of Sep' 05. What do you think?

Hi. I'm from Malaysia. From what you said, Bangladesh really has a big difference from Malaysia on the visa application process. As a tourist who wants to go to UK less than six month, he/she doesn't need to apply visa. Actually visa in Malaysia is not called "visa", it is called "entry clearance". Yup, we need to show our financial status as well. That is why i said provide them as many as documents you can then you will get ur visa as soon as possible.

OK. It sounds you have a pretty dangerous situation. Let's assume that you can get your visa before freshers week. Why don't you depart before 19th? It is too rush if you arrive within that week. Well, look at the other situation where you cant get your visa within that week. I will suggest you book your flight ticket with the travel agency or airlines 1st. After you got your visa, you can confirm with either of them immediately. Then, they can issue you the flight ticket and you can make the final payment. Try to speak with the travel agency and ask them to help you to book 2 days. If you can get ur visa before 19th,then go to your 1st choice. If you get it after 19th, go to Uk the other day. Normally, travel angency will allow you to do so. You have to remember that most of the flights are fulled during that period... :smile:
Alrite eugenia99093, thank you so much for giving me such helpful suggestions.

I'm not sure whether or not it is possible to book flight tickets for 2 days and eventually cancel one later. Nevertheless, I'll try my best to do what you've said. These things are making me nervous... :frown: I hope everything goes well for me... (inshahallah!)
It doesn't really matter if you miss the entertainment part of Freshers' Week, but as others have said, you need to make sure you obtain all the info on your course and enrol.

Latest

Trending

Trending