The Student Room Group

Critical thinking ocr unit 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Zuzia Bulu
I don't have any special tips for it. My advice is just make sure you cover all areas in the question. It often asks about the relative credibility of both sides, the relative plausibility of both outcomes or an assessment of the quality of evidence.

Hope this helps :smile:

is there anything i can REVISE for it?
Zuzia Bulu
I don't have any special tips for it. My advice is just make sure you cover all areas in the question. It often asks about the relative credibility of both sides, the relative plausibility of both outcomes or an assessment of the quality of evidence.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks alot Bulu, your comments have really helped =).

Good luck for tomorrow :smile:.
Critical thinking is actually more useful than people think.

Imperial did not look at my Critical thinking grade for admission. However, i decided to take it through to A2 simply because it was the one subject that i could achieve high grades in without actually doing anything that resembled work. Imperial have made me an offer, including CT as one of the subjects that i can get an A in.

So in short, Critical thinking = easy A = one less worry for getting in to study medicine.
Reply 63
Bslforever
Critical thinking is actually more useful than people think.

Imperial did not look at my Critical thinking grade for admission. However, i decided to take it through to A2 simply because it was the one subject that i could achieve high grades in without actually doing anything that resembled work. Imperial have made me an offer, including CT as one of the subjects that i can get an A in.

So in short, Critical thinking = easy A = one less worry for getting in to study medicine.

how did u revise for it?? I know u said you didn't, but you must have done SOMETHING? :smile:
786girl
how did u revise for it?? i know u sayd you didn't, but you must have done SOMETHING? :smile:

But...i really didn't :yep:

This year i had 1 lesson a week. I missed half of them. Glossed over some key words the night before and got 100% in the exam. :cool:

To be fair, there isn't much you can do. For unit 1, as i remember, you just need to go over applying the credibility criteria to arguments (if that is unit 1... its been a while) and picking out the elements of an argument. Once you can recognise a counter argument, counter assertion, hypothetical reasoning, reason, conclusion and intermediate conclusion, you are pretty much set.
For the very last question on Section B, read the example in the mark schemes. I find that very helpful because it makes it REALLY clear how you should approach it.

Besides, CT is a ridiculous subject that nobody cares about anyway Saying that though, I got a B (70) in Jan and I'm retaking to get an A! :teehee:
Doughnuts!!
For the very last question on Section B, read the example in the mark schemes. I find that very helpful because it makes it REALLY clear how you should approach it.

Besides, CT is a ridiculous subject that nobody cares about anyway Saying that though, I got a B (70) in Jan and I'm retaking to get an A! :teehee:

i cant seem to find any of the mark schemes ¬¬.
Reply 67
Bslforever
But...i really didn't :yep:

This year i had 1 lesson a week. I missed half of them. Glossed over some key words the night before and got 100% in the exam. :cool:

To be fair, there isn't much you can do. For unit 1, as i remember, you just need to go over applying the credibility criteria to arguments (if that is unit 1... its been a while) and picking out the elements of an argument. Once you can recognise a counter argument, counter assertion, hypothetical reasoning, reason, conclusion and intermediate conclusion, you are pretty much set.

wow lol i guess you're just gifted then :s-smilie:
and now that you've mentioned those important key terms can you explain them aswell please :smile: in your own words , i don't like definitions from the dictionary :biggrin:
786girl
is there anything i can REVISE for it?

It's hard to find a way to revise for it right now. It depends how good you are at writing essays. I suggest reading these (I know it's for the old syllabus but it might be helpful)

for quality of evidence http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/unit1/examguide/c/q8e/

for relative credibility http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/unit1/examguide/b/q7/

for relative plausibility http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/unit1/examguide/c/q8f/

hope it's helpful :smile:
Cookie-Monsterr.x
i cant seem to find any of the mark schemes ¬¬.

this is mark scheme for unit 1 Jan 09
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_09/ocr_35049_ms_09_gce_jan.pdf

unit 1 jun 09
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/ms_09/ocr_40986_ms_09_gce_jun.pdf

the question paper for unit 1 jan 09
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09_jan/ocr_34600_pp_09_jan_gce_f501_01.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_09_jan/ocr_34599_pp_09_jan_gce_f501_01.pdf

I can't find the question paper for jun 09 on the internet, sorry :frown: . I only have the paper one.
786girl
wow lol i guess you're just gifted then :s-smilie:
and now that you've mentioned those important key terms can you explain them aswell please :smile: in your own words , i don't like definitions from the dictionary :biggrin:

Critical thinking is something that some people will find easier than others. I'm the type of person who has been involved in debating etc. so i have found it easier.

Conclusion: Fairly obvious. Its the main statement of the argument. If you can sum up by saying "therefore [insert sentence here]" then you have found the conclusion.

Reason: A statement that backs up the conclusion

Evidence: Some data, figure, example that backs up a reason

Hypothetical reasoning:
Reasoning based on a hypothetical situation. This is dead easy to spot as it will always rely on a formula. You will see "IF blah blah blah, THEN blah blah blah."

So: "If i win the lottery, i will buy my parents a house" is hypothetical reasoning.

Counter argument: This is an argument that is opposite to the conclusion. It normally takes the form of "Some might say that this is wrong because of these reasons, but thats not the case". Its used to strengthen your argument by aknowledging the opposition.

Counter assertion:
Same as a counter argument, but the difference is, its not a complete argument. A counter argument will have reasons whereas a counter assertion will not. For example:

If i was arguing that cannabis should be made legal:

"Some people say that cannabis should not be made legal becase people who use it could eventually move on to take harder drugs. This is not valid as..." is a counter argument (there is a reason supporting the opposite conclusion)

"Some people say that cannabis should not be made legal, but this is not valid as..." is a counter assertion (there is no reason given, just the opposite point of view)

Intermediate conclusion: Think of these as big reasons. An IC is a reason that has reasons of its own. They will often come at the end of a paragraph in the middle of the argument.

Example:

Many people take cannabis without any adverse health effects (reason 1) and there are no long term users of cannabis who have moved onto harder drugs like cocaine (reason 2) therefore cannabis is not a bad thing at all Intermediate conclusion

Because cannabis is not a bad thing, it should be made legal. main conclusion

So you can see that the IC had 2 reasons supporting it, but the IC was not the main conclusion. Instead, the IC supported the main conclusion.

Hows that?
Reply 71
oooh, i did this Jan and got an A. I did about an hours revision using this site: http://www.criticalthinking.org.uk/
I can't stress this enough, though: READ THE DAMN Q's PROPERLY :biggrin:
Reply 72
God Help Me
Hey !
I am retaking my Unit 1 and doing unit 2 as well. I made this documents on the main stuff you have to know.
Hope you find it useful. :smile:

Wow, this is really useful ^_^
adam_zed
Every Uni that I inquired at said they do not count the points gained in Critical Thinking as an AS in regards to Ucas points. Dont know about the other tests, maybe you're right.

I did the paper last year. 40 mins revision before the exam and I was able to get a D. Okay, not magnificent but it is a very unimportant exam and people should not be working themselves up about it.

It's A level Critical Thinking none accept, AS is generally fine and it counted towards all my offers.

I wouldn't say it was unimportant, I'd say it was an easy A or B (dependant on whether you revise). If I got a B with no revision, after doing it for only 2 hours a week for a year, a monkey could get at least an E.
Bslforever
Critical thinking is something that some people will find easier than others. I'm the type of person who has been involved in debating etc. so i have found it easier.

Conclusion: Fairly obvious. Its the main statement of the argument. If you can sum up by saying "therefore [insert sentence here]" then you have found the conclusion.

Hypothetical reasoning:
Reasoning based on a hypothetical situation. This is dead easy to spot as it will always rely on a formula. You will see "IF blah blah blah, THEN blah blah blah."

So: "If i win the lottery, i will buy my parents a house" is hypothetical reasoning.

Counter argument: This is an argument that is opposite to the conclusion. It normally takes the form of "Some might say that this is wrong because of these reasons, but thats not the case". Its used to strengthen your argument by aknowledging the opposition.

Counter assertion:
Same as a counter argument, but the difference is, its not a complete argument. A counter argument will have reasons whereas a counter assertion will not. For example:

"Some people say that cannabis should not be made legal becase people who use it could eventually move on to take harder drugs. This is not valid as..." is a counter argument (there is a reason supporting the opposite conclusion)

"Some people say that cannabis should not be made legal, but this is not valid as..." is a counter assertion (there is no reason given, just the opposite point of view)

Intermediate conclusion: Think of these as big reasons. An IC is a reason that has reasons of its own. They will often come at the end of a paragraph in the middle of the argument.

Example:

Many people take cannabis without any adverse health effects (reason 1) and there are no long term users of cannabis who have moved onto harder drugs like cocaine (reason 2) therefore cannabis is not a bad thing at all Intermediate conclusion

So you can see that the IC had 2 reasons supporting it, but the IC was not the main conclusion. Instead, the IC supported the main conclusion.

Hows that?

That's great! :smile:

But there is also example which is used to illustrate the point that is being made
Reply 75
Bslforever

Hypothetical reasoning:

Counter assertion:

Example:

Hows that?

thank youuuu Dr. :P

thanks !
Zuzia Bulu
That's great! :smile:

But there is also example which is used to illustrate the point that is being made

True. But when an example illustrates the point its usually backing up the conclusion like i said.
Bslforever

Hypothetical reasoning:

Counter assertion:

Example:

Hows that?

Haha this is pretty much all the revision that everybody doing this exam will need to do!
786girl
thank youuuu Dr. :P

thanks !

No problem.
Bslforever
True. But when an example illustrates the point its usually backing up the conclusion like i said.

oh, what I mean is that example is also an argument element. You didn't put it in bold. And example is different from evidence. I remember in paper in jan 2010, there was a question about naming the argument element. The mark scheme says if you write "example" you will gain 2 marks (full marks for that question), but if you write "evidence" you will gain 1 mark only. Still, thanks for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest