The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Grade Boundaries?

Hey guys,

Take a look at this:
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_w09_gt.pdf

Are they the actual grade boundaries which Cambridge gave students their results back in?

CIE Chemistry is 20% Paper 6. 30% Paper 1 and 50% Paper 3.
So, For an A in
Paper 6 you need: 77% x 20% = 15%
Paper 3 you need: 55% x 50% = 28%
Paper 1 you need: 82% x 30% = 25%

So altogether for an overall A you need 28+25+15 which is:
65%?

So all we need is 65% as an average of the three papers to achieve an A on the IGCSE Chemistry?

Please tell me whether what i'm doing is correct and whether that is how Cambridge give us our grades. Because i've always thought that 80+ was an A etc.

Thanks,
Kya.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm doing IGCSE Coordinated Science.

Judging by the June 2004 mark scheme for Coordinated you need a total of 148/200 (74%) for an A... It seems that they're quite generous on Paper 3 in this case too.

I always thought it was 80+ for an A as well.

In any case, good luck with your exams!
Reply 2
Underwood94
Hi, I'm doing IGCSE Coordinated Science.

Judging by the June 2004 mark scheme for Coordinated you need a total of 148/200 (74%) for an A... It seems that they're quite generous on Paper 3 in this case too.

I always thought it was 80+ for an A as well.

In any case, good luck with your exams!

So these are the actual grade boundaries? Wow. I find it funny how all our schools have made us aim for like 80+ percent to get an A. Thanks anyways :smile:
Good luck with your exams too!
Wish my school let me take coordinated :frown:
Reply 3
u shud see the Physics Boundries :biggrin: 60% is an A xD
Reply 4
Bassiouni
u shud see the Physics Boundries :biggrin: 60% is an A xD

Yeah, i was wondering if this was all really correct or not :P
Reply 5
Does anyone know the % needed to get an A* in, say, Maths or Physics? How does the A* at CIE IGCSE work? My school has no idea:facepalm:.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Victor-PP
Does anyone know the % needed to get an A* in, say, Maths or Physics? How does the A* at CIE IGCSE work? My school has no idea:facepalm:.

Thanks.

Maths Extended Grade Boundaries Oct/Nov 2009 : http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0581%20-%20Mathematics%20Extended/0581_w09_gt.pdf

So an A* would be 65+/70? They dont give A*s unless you have performed amazingly.

Physics Grade Boundaries Oct/Nov 2009 :
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0625%20-%20Physics/0625_w09_gt.pdf

23.5+30.625+14.5 = 68% for an A
So i'd say an A* would be 80% and above overall?
(Considering you are assesed on only paper 1, 3 & 6)
Reply 7
Kya
Maths Extended Grade Boundaries Oct/Nov 2009 : http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0581%20-%20Mathematics%20Extended/0581_w09_gt.pdf

So an A* would be 65+/70? They dont give A*s unless you have performed amazingly.

Physics Grade Boundaries Oct/Nov 2009 :
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0625%20-%20Physics/0625_w09_gt.pdf

23.5+30.625+14.5 = 68% for an A
So i'd say an A* would be 80% and above overall?
(Considering you are assesed on only paper 1, 3 & 6)

Thanks! But... how exactly do you estimate that?

And... what about Maths Paper 4? Supposing that I've got 65/70(32.5 % of final percentage) in Paper 2 or around that, what would I need in paper 4? And by the way, I think that in order to get an A*, you don't necessarily need to get 65+/70 in a specific paper... It depends on what you get on paper 4 as well. I think they award it accordting to the percentage of the whole subject as long as you've met the A grade minimum grade threshold. Am I right?

What about an A* in Chemistry? Should be similar to Physics, right?

Thanks a lot for your help!:biggrin:
Reply 8
Victor-PP

And... what about Maths Paper 4? Supposing that I've got 65/70 in Paper 2 or around that, what would I need in paper 4?

What about an A* in Chemistry? Should be similar to Physics, right?

To be honest, I do edexcel higher maths, so I can't really help you any further with CIE maths :s-smilie:

However with Chemistry... the oct/nov 2009 ones were..:
http://www.xtremepapers.net/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_w09_gt.pdf

25+27.5+15 = 67.5% for an A in Chemistry.

I calculate these because the final grade weightings are:
Paper 1: 30%
Paper 3: 50%
Paper 6: 20%
Hence i get the minimum marks to achieve an A in all the papers then divide them by the maximum mark of the paper to get the A percentage for each individual paper. Then i just multiply the minimum A percentage by it's final weighting. For example if you got 100% on Paper 3, it would be added as 50% of your final mark. Etc.

For an A* i'd think its about 85+? Or something along them lines since they don't specify.
:smile:
Reply 9
Victor-PP

And... what about Maths Paper 4? Supposing that I've got 65/70(32.5 % of final percentage) in Paper 2 or around that, what would I need in paper 4? And by the way, I think that in order to get an A*, you don't necessarily need to get 65+/70 in a specific paper... It depends on what you get on paper 4 as well. I think they award it accordting to the percentage of the whole subject as long as you've met the A grade minimum grade threshold. Am I right?

Lol sorry didnt realise you edited your post.
Basically you need to know the weighting of all the final Math papers and how much of your grade from every paper goes into your final grade basically. So it's just liek what i explained in my previous reply to the above quote before you edited it >.<!
So if that Paper 4 is 50% of your final grade, then by achieving 65/70 you have already guaranteed yourself 46% of your final grade!
Kya
Lol sorry didnt realise you edited your post.
Basically you need to know the weighting of all the final Math papers and how much of your grade from every paper goes into your final grade basically. So it's just liek what i explained in my previous reply to the above quote before you edited it >.<!
So if that Paper 4 is 50% of your final grade, then by achieving 65/70 you have already guaranteed yourself 46% of your final grade!

Sorry about that. My bad. :smile: Thanks a lot for sorting that out.

Any tips for Chemistry Paper 6? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Victor-PP
Sorry about that. My bad. :smile: Thanks a lot for sorting that out.

Any tips for Chemistry Paper 6? :biggrin:

Damn! I have my Chemistry Paper 6 tommorow aswell! To be honest, just memorise all the tests for ions since they're more or less 50% of the paper lol. If you don't want to memorise, just write down Precipitate for everything and youll get a mark LOL!
I've done 3 past papers. One where i barely passed. One where i was a mark off an A. One where i got an A. So I just printed another 4 out! I'm going to my room to sit and do them now :smile: Wish me luck! Good luck to you too aswell tommorow!
Kya
Damn! I have my Chemistry Paper 6 tommorow aswell! To be honest, just memorise all the tests for ions since they're more or less 50% of the paper lol. If you don't want to memorise, just write down Precipitate for everything and youll get a mark LOL!
I've done 3 past papers. One where i barely passed. One where i was a mark off an A. One where i got an A. So I just printed another 4 out! I'm going to my room to sit and do them now :smile: Wish me luck! Good luck to you too aswell tommorow!

Join the club. I have two exams tomorrow and am not ready for any of them :lol: I'll memorise the tests for ions, no doubt.

Good luck to you, too!:smile:
ahhh.. i have chem p6 tomorrow too and arabic (second lang) .. sigh
i cant believe we are sitting posting messages on a forum rather than doin pastpapers.. XD

ah.. the curves better be low this year.. but i think the curve fr an A* doesnt vary much.. does for A and shizz .. nt fr an A* though

and what abt the rumour.. that this year there will be no boundaries? fixed stuff only?
Reply 14
angelicsuccubus

and what abt the rumour.. that this year there will be no boundaries? fixed stuff only?

Rubbish in my opinion. I haven't heard anybody talk about it, and unless i actually see proof... xD
Reply 15
angelicsuccubus
ahhh.. i have chem p6 tomorrow too and arabic (second lang) .. sigh
i cant believe we are sitting posting messages on a forum rather than doin pastpapers.. XD

ah.. the curves better be low this year.. but i think the curve fr an A* doesnt vary much.. does for A and shizz .. nt fr an A* though

http://ask.cie.org.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1035&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=5440

I'm sure if anything changed... they would have said so ^^
oh lol yeh, i was reading on their website.. u noe the article about A* in o level now?.. i'm too lazy to get the link but yeh, i read the thing and the curves are still there. =) phew.

how was chem p6 btw? and did u guys have maths today?
Reply 17
angelicsuccubus
oh lol yeh, i was reading on their website.. u noe the article about A* in o level now?.. i'm too lazy to get the link but yeh, i read the thing and the curves are still there. =) phew.

how was chem p6 btw? and did u guys have maths today?

Yeh my mate asked my teachers about the grade boundaries which were on the grade thresholds such as 44/80 for an A on Paper 3 Chemistry - and apparently they are correct! :]
However the school just doesn't tell us (and we're not supposed to know since we shouldnt have access to grade thresholds) so that we aim for high marks assuming 80% and above is an A when really it's about 50-ish! The only bad part is that you need 27/40 on the Paper 1s to pass! And I HATE Paper 1s :frown:
I'd rather do another paper 6 than a paper 1!
And yeah Chem paper 6 wasn't too bad. I panicked when someone tried to convince me that CIE knock off marks if you write too much since I pretty much used up the whole of the back page on the 6 mark question :smile:! Hope its right :s-smilie:... anyways xD! As for maths, I do edexcel higher maths, not CIE. :woo:
66% for an A ftw? :biggrin:
I find that so not reassuring, I mean what if the curve for our year turns out to be extra high! so many people in the world can't be dumb, can they?

Lol don't worry about them cutting off marks for the 6 mark question at the back.. they left it vague, they'll just have to deal with our answers. Which exp did u rite btw? I did the rusting one..

27/40 to pass or to get an A?.... I hate paper 6s btw, i'd rather do paper 1s.

Well maths went horrible for most of us, and arabic was truly awful.. .I closed my eyes and randomly ticked the true and false, cuz i was short of time... sigh

I wonder what the curve for arabic is...because a lot of arabs do it too, so it must be high right?

Oh and I still dont get one thing, the curve for A moves like a retard, but what about an A*... isnt there a curve for that?

Good luck for your next exam, I have eng lang in an hour xD
Reply 19
angelicsuccubus
I find that so not reassuring, I mean what if the curve for our year turns out to be extra high! so many people in the world can't be dumb, can they?

Lol don't worry about them cutting off marks for the 6 mark question at the back.. they left it vague, they'll just have to deal with our answers. Which exp did u rite btw? I did the rusting one..

27/40 to pass or to get an A?.... I hate paper 6s btw, i'd rather do paper 1s.

Well maths went horrible for most of us, and arabic was truly awful.. .I closed my eyes and randomly ticked the true and false, cuz i was short of time... sigh

I wonder what the curve for arabic is...because a lot of arabs do it too, so it must be high right?

Oh and I still dont get one thing, the curve for A moves like a retard, but what about an A*... isnt there a curve for that?

Good luck for your next exam, I have eng lang in an hour xD

My teachers told me that there are alot of schools which get really bad marks apparently :/

Quick Reply

Latest