The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men A/A* Exemplar

I'm looking for an exemplar A/A* essay on Of Mice and Men, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could post one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
not sure if this is strictly A/A* but it seems very good.
http://www.gcseguide.co.uk/of_mice_and_men.htm

and there are many more essays on "Of Mice and Men" here:
http://www.coursework.info/GCSE/English_Literature/Prose_Fiction/By_Author/John_Steinbeck/
but only previews can be seen without paying for them.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Princestia
Hi,
not sure if this is strictly A/A* but it seems very good.
http://www.gcseguide.co.uk/of_mice_and_men.htm

and there are many more essays on "Of Mice and Men" here:
http://www.coursework.info/GCSE/English_Literature/Prose_Fiction/By_Author/John_Steinbeck/
but only previews can be seen without paying for them.

Hope this helps :smile:

i reckon that first link is also alot more than i could write in an hour
Reply 3
jimbo lad
i reckon that first link is also alot more than i could write in an hour

Yeah, and the first one doesn't seem to be a GCSE type answer. The writer doesn't follow the critera??
Reply 4
is your GCSE English Lit exam on May 25th?
Reply 5
Kmaster
is your GCSE English Lit exam on May 25th?

That's right. I'm worried about this section the most :/
Reply 6
Yeah I'm so worried about my English Literature exam as well. Its on the 25th May and its probably the only exam i am worried about :frown:
Reply 7
You can get some at the AQA website.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3712-H-W-CEX.PDF
There's a lot to go through, but I think there are two or three on Of Mice and Men.

I'm dreading the exam, but good luck to you :smile:
Reply 8
Evanesyne
You can get some at the AQA website.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-3712-H-W-CEX.PDF
There's a lot to go through, but I think there are two or three on Of Mice and Men.

I'm dreading the exam, but good luck to you :smile:

Thanks, I've checked through there already - I've been looking everywhere for essays on this! Sadly there is only one Of Mice and Men essay there, and it got 20/27.
I wonder if there's anyway to get a hold of past years exemplar papers.
Reply 9
Have you checked S4 Section A? It's on Of Mice and Men but it hasn't been marked.
I don't know where you can find free ones apart from that, most of them seems like you have to pay to read.

Ah - http://www.123helpme.com/search.asp?text=Steinbeck+Of+Mice+and+Men++
This might help.
Reply 10
FullMetalX
That's right. I'm worried about this section the most :/

Im worried about the whole......english lit exam it is the one I'm least confident in to be honest. Plus I do not know how to answer the questions.

In the mock i got a D and expected a B/A in the real.
don't be worried about it! im not the brainiest of people and i didn't do any revision but was only 6 marks of getting a C, you'll do fine :smile: or infact i may of even got a C meh who knows i got a C in one english and a d in the other with no revision so good times!
Reply 12
Evanesyne
Have you checked S4 Section A? It's on Of Mice and Men but it hasn't been marked.
I don't know where you can find free ones apart from that, most of them seems like you have to pay to read.

Ah - http://www.123helpme.com/search.asp?text=Steinbeck+Of+Mice+and+Men++
This might help.

S4 was the one I was talking about, it was the one that got 20/27. Thanks for the link to that website though, there are some decent free essays there :smile:

Kmaster
Im worried about the whole......english lit exam it is the one I'm least confident in to be honest. Plus I do not know how to answer the questions.

In the mock i got a D and expected a B/A in the real.

You just need to tick the boxes for literature. For the poetry section I recommend choosing the two part question as it's seems the easiest. You should start with a basic introduction showing what relationship the poems you've chosen have with the question. Then talk about the structure, language and feelings of both peoms, remembering to identify the similarities and differences they have throughout the essay. Then sum up everything you've written in your conclusion. Generally when talking about language, your paragraphs should consist of your point, the evidence, the effect it conveys, then link it back to the question and theme of the poem; in addition, you can also evaluate the overall effectiveness your quote has. Part a and b should normally be 2 pages each, you could easily fill these pages up with what I've suggested :smile:
I don't really know much about the prose section, so I can't really give any other advice than to know your book inside out. If York Notes have a revision guide on your book then I suggest you get it. There's also a york notes on the poetry section, it's good, but there are much better notes online.
Keep on doing practice papers, and also have a look at exemplar papers on the AQA website. Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 13
FullMetalX

You just need to tick the boxes for literature. For the poetry section I recommend choosing the two part question as it's seems the easiest. You should start with a basic introduction showing what relationship the poems you've chosen have with the question. Then talk about the structure, language and feelings of both peoms, remembering to identify the similarities and differences they have throughout the essay. Then sum up everything you've written in your conclusion. Generally when talking about language, your paragraphs should consist of your point, the evidence, the effect it conveys, then link it back to the question and theme of the poem; in addition, you can also evaluate the overall effectiveness your quote has. Part a and b should normally be 2 pages each, you could easily fill these pages up with what I've suggested :smile:
I don't really know much about the prose section, so I can't really give any other advice than to know your book inside out. If York Notes have a revision guide on your book then I suggest you get it. There's also a york notes on the poetry section, it's good, but there are much better notes online.
Keep on doing practice papers, and also have a look at exemplar papers on the AQA website. Hope it helps :smile:

WOW! Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board. I think the most problem I have with PEEL, is the 'L' linking it back. I think its cause I repeat the Point (P) that i wrote. I looked on the AQA site cannot find Examplar papers, if you can please can send a link to me?

Btw, I am doing Of mice and Men. I kind of know the book but cba reading it again cause i feel as though its gets boring the more i do it. I know it will help knowing it inside out.

Good luck for all the GCSE Exams you have.
Reply 14
Of mice ad men is such bs
Reply 15
Kmaster
WOW! Thanks for the advice, I'll take it on board. I think the most problem I have with PEEL, is the 'L' linking it back. I think its cause I repeat the Point (P) that i wrote. I looked on the AQA site cannot find Examplar papers, if you can please can send a link to me?

Btw, I am doing Of mice and Men. I kind of know the book but cba reading it again cause i feel as though its gets boring the more i do it. I know it will help knowing it inside out.

Good luck for all the GCSE Exams you have.

I'm happy I could help :smile:
Here's
the exemplar papers. It really surprised me on what got top marks, most of those essays aren't that well written, but I guess it's just as I said earlier, you just have to tick the boxes off what the examiner is looking for.
The York Notes on Of Mice and Men is really really good, it goes into a lot of depth. I'm also struggling to re-read it, it does seem to get boring - fast; but I guess that A* is my motivation. Right now I'm trying memorise some key page numbers, so I don't waste time in the exam.
Thanks, good luck to you too!
Reply 16
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL i remember this like it was yesterday... This is pissssssssssssssssssssssss....I got an A without even trying... ok maybe i read the textbook 3 times and ripped apart the letts book...and the cgp book... and the teachers resources....but i still merrkeedd it without really er trying!!
Reply 17
FullMetalX
I'm happy I could help :smile:
Here's
the exemplar papers. It really surprised me on what got top marks, most of those essays aren't that well written, but I guess it's just as I said earlier, you just have to tick the boxes off what the examiner is looking for.
The York Notes on Of Mice and Men is really really good, it goes into a lot of depth. I'm also struggling to re-read it, it does seem to get boring - fast; but I guess that A* is my motivation. Right now I'm trying memorise some key page numbers, so I don't waste time in the exam.
Thanks, good luck to you too!

Thanks for the link, I'll probanly get york notes tomorrow or something. Hopefully it will help lol...Do you think it would be a good idea to watch the movie again? or read the book or both? Im thinking of watching the movie again but write notes down of key events and how I feel/How it makes me feel.

For poems, How are your revising for that? I did note is class and reading them again. (Do not know if just reading them is a good idea though lol)

Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 18
Kmaster
Thanks for the link, I'll probanly get york notes tomorrow or something. Hopefully it will help lol...Do you think it would be a good idea to watch the movie again? or read the book or both? Im thinking of watching the movie again but write notes down of key events and how I feel/How it makes me feel.

For poems, How are your revising for that? I did note is class and reading them again. (Do not know if just reading them is a good idea though lol)

Thanks again :biggrin:

I'm not too sure about the movie, I saw it long ago, and it's a bit different from the book, so it might end up confusing you. I'd say stick with the book, and write about your feelings after every chapter.
For the poems I made fresh notes, I googled the poems and annotated them, making sure only to write what I understood and agreed with. There's a lot of information out there on the poems, you'll also find quiet a few presentations. Different sources will have different interpretations, so that will be very helpful as it will get you top marks. Also remember that examiners are looking for your own ideas, so don't be afraid to get your own interpretations down, as long as it has evident basis it will be rewarded. I'll keep going over my notes until the exam, hopefully they'll stick in my head.
No problem! Feel free to ask more questions!
sorry to bother you but now im sitting my English exam in less than 2 months I was wondering if anyone has a?a* exemplar essays? it would be very very useful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending