Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I still havent heard about my university accommodation and I'm resigning myself to the fact that I will probably be put somewhere that doesnt have internet connection. For anyone at uni who doesnt have it, how bad is it? Is it a massive inconvinience to have to use librarays and stuff or is it not too bad?

ReputationRep:
    A lot depends on how much you use it at home....i.e. casual emailer or hardcore chatter! The labs are usually open pretty reasonable hours so accessing it isn't too much of a pain, so long as it's not blizzard conditions outside.

You never know...you might be lucky and get into halls that have it. I think it's a pretty basic requirement these days

ReputationRep:
    Woah, I didnt realise there was still accomodation which doesnt have network access. If you really desperate, you could have a BT line installed and have your own connection, but thats a bit on the expensive side.

ReputationRep:
    All the halls at my university have a free internet connection, but the computer labs are open 24 hours a day and every uni building has wireless so if you have a laptop you can pick it up from pretty much anywhere. I suspect most universities are the same.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good idea...it will stop you wasting time on TSR when you have a million and one better things to do! That's what I'm hoping anyway, because when I get to Cardiff I want to be in Taly North which doesn't have one as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    For anyone at uni who doesnt have it, how bad is it? Is it a massive inconvinience to have to use librarays and stuff or is it not too bad?
    I was in the same situation when i went to glasgow a couple of year back and it was a huge negative. For me the worst thing was being out of touch with people from home - youl be stunned how much you miss easy access to small things like MSN etc. Also having a small communal group of computers between hundreds if not thousands of students means its often very hard to get onto one when you need one. I made absolutely sure i had internet acces in my room this year round.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me... was the last year in a Hall that was demolished. It's a horrible experience and I spent a long time scheming about how to overcome the problem. Wireless networking, those bizarre broadband-through-your-plug-sockets things and all that. At one point, I was planning to sling a cable out the window to another hall across from us and getting it off theirs, but by that point it was virtually the end of the year and I resigned myself to defeat. In the end the best I got was something like 4kb/s - enough to (barely) run MSN - and that was down a mobile phone.

Almost every hall will have a lease agreement that says you can't separately install a phoneline or broadband connection for whatever reason, so that idea's buggered. Sat broadband would be possible but incredibly expensive.

My hall had an IT suite (like most of the non-b/banded halls you'll find) which made it a little easier to stand.

ReputationRep:
    Just think how much work you'll get done when you don't have msn flashing away on your desk or the urge to post on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Some of you sound like internet addicts!

ReputationRep:
    Some of us are! :eek: {prays that my room is sorted}

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.