(Original post by donnaxx)
North
southern united states beats northern ANY day

i know thats what you werent talking about
dontknow
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Also, our architecture is really quite impressive, with the best skyline outside of London.
Yes but it depends what you mean by architecture, there are many beautiful things in newcastle too, like the millenium bridge, tynr bridge, baltic art centre, and you cant beat the quayside at night when its all lit up.

I have to be honest manchester is just so much dirtier than newcastle.
like i said though im not biased ive lived in manch all my life its just i have seen just as nice(if not nicer places).
I probably would end up at Manch Uni if I hadnt got into Newcastle which has a better uni.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well im from Lancashire so im south then lol!
no coz lancashire is north-west so im still north!!
i would still class lancashire as north though- there's no way i'm from the south (i'm in merseyside), although geographically in the UK i'm not not really north, i'm still a northerner!

lou xxx
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I prefer the north to south. Hills > ugly buildings
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i would still class lancashire as north though- there's no way i'm from the south (i'm in merseyside), although geographically in the UK i'm not not really north, i'm still a northerner!

lou xxx
hello northerner
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dontknow)
Yes but it depends what you mean by architecture, there are many beautiful things in newcastle too, like the millenium bridge, tynr bridge, baltic art centre, and you cant beat the quayside at night when its all lit up.

I have to be honest manchester is just so much dirtier than newcastle.
like i said though im not biased ive lived in manch all my life its just i have seen just as nice(if not nicer places).
I probably would end up at Manch Uni if I hadnt got into Newcastle which has a better uni.
Newcastle Quays regeneration is just a smaller version of the Salford Quays, renovation, non?

I agree that Manchester has problems with dirt, especially air pollution, it's awful sometimes. I find it silly that it's probably the cleanest city in the world when it wants to be (commonwealth games), and probably the dirtiest in the western world when they think they're not under judgement.

I would say Newcastle is better for Medicine and that's it, Manchester is the biggest in the country with UMIST, and has some serious achievements under its belt. (First computer, atom model discovery etc). Manchester is involved with all the big research in tiger economies).
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
hello northerner
Can you Americans tell the difference between a North and South accent? Can you distinquish a cockney accent from say a scouser/geordie/yorkshire... or do you have no idea what I'm talking about :confused:
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Can you Americans tell the difference between a North and South accent? Can you distinquish a cockney accent from say a scouser/geordie/yorkshire... or do you have no idea what I'm talking about :confused:
no, but i can generally tell the difference from a london and a country accent.....the london one is more posh!
101mphfastball
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no, but i can generally tell the difference from a london and a country accent.....the london one is more posh!
No it aint. Maybe if you live in Kensington....though I have no idea where that is.

South is way better, in the States or the UK.

I live in the north of the UK for 2 years, it was not good.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol, can anyone tell the scottish accents apart? i'm pretty good at it because my family is scottish, but most people don't seem to be able to distinguish between a glasgow/edinburgh/north/borders etc. accent.

lou xxx
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
lol, can anyone tell the scottish accents apart? i'm pretty good at it because my family is scottish, but most people don't seem to be able to distinguish between a glasgow/edinburgh/north/borders etc. accent.

lou xxx
The Glasgow accent is easy to tell apart because it is so strong! But the rest, I can't!
dontknow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fishpaste)
Newcastle Quays regeneration is just a smaller version of the Salford Quays, renovation, non?

I agree that Manchester has problems with dirt, especially air pollution, it's awful sometimes. I find it silly that it's probably the cleanest city in the world when it wants to be (commonwealth games), and probably the dirtiest in the western world when they think they're not under judgement.

I would say Newcastle is better for Medicine and that's it, Manchester is the biggest in the country with UMIST, and has some serious achievements under its belt. (First computer, atom model discovery etc). Manchester is involved with all the big research in tiger economies).
Not at all meaning to cause argument, but since when did bigger mean better when it came to universities!! I have been told my my teachers Newcastle is better for most courses than Manchester especially Medical sciences. I was asking my teachers where to apply and it was the first uni they came up with.
I do know about the first computer and atom model discovery etc cos the person who did the atom thingy went to my school! But Newcastle is without THE up and coming University. Sure it doesnt have as many past achievements as Manchester, but I dont think its all about past achievements its sometimes what uni is doing now...and in that repsect Newcastle wins. It is the first Uni to carry out the first stem cell research (look in newspapers!) and is getting lots of funding for research etc.
I have applied to Manch too but wasnt impressed when i went around stopford building! I do love the city though - you cant beat Rusholme and Deansgate Locks, but if im looking for my career and prospects of working abroad it has to be Newcastle.

Do you live in manchester yourself or are you a student fishpaste?
Claire393
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm well as I live slightly north of Watford Gap service station I am apparently a northerner. I consider myself to be a Midlander though being slap bang in the middle of the country as my county is.

I would say both parts have their good things North = cheap hense why i'm going to uni there. South = APPARENTLY nicer way of life.

Good thing I'm in the middle then....bits of both
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
North
heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy - you stole my thread.
lol
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
South is best -- > London
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
NORTH IS BEST
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Matt the cat)
What's so great about London?
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
What's so great about London?
nothing - except the whispering gallery in St Paul's - that's pretty good
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by dontknow)
Not at all meaning to cause argument, but since when did bigger mean better when it came to universities!! I have been told my my teachers Newcastle is better for most courses than Manchester especially Medical sciences. I was asking my teachers where to apply and it was the first uni they came up with.
I do know about the first computer and atom model discovery etc cos the person who did the atom thingy went to my school! But Newcastle is without THE up and coming University. Sure it doesnt have as many past achievements as Manchester, but I dont think its all about past achievements its sometimes what uni is doing now...and in that repsect Newcastle wins. It is the first Uni to carry out the first stem cell research (look in newspapers!) and is getting lots of funding for research etc.
I have applied to Manch too but wasnt impressed when i went around stopford building! I do love the city though - you cant beat Rusholme and Deansgate Locks, but if im looking for my career and prospects of working abroad it has to be Newcastle.

Do you live in manchester yourself or are you a student fishpaste?
Bigger = more money for students, more research, more recognition abroad. Though I agree it's of course not what makes a university 'good'.

Stopford building is hideous, but the main victoria campus is probably the prettiest 'new' university in the country. With that huge victorian centrepiece.

I live in Manchester, North Manchester near to Cheetham Hill. Goto Xaverian College which is also on Wilmslow Road, about 5 minutes from the university.
feebs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
NORTH IS BEST
Damn right it is!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads