The Student Room Group

Want to do GCSEs out of school

Hiii guys
I was wondering if anyone knows how I could do GCSEs out of school

French, Drama, German, History and Sociolgy or business

anybody have any ideas, who do I even ask?

All ideas are welcome - also does anyone know how much this would cost??

Please help
Go to an exam board website, AQA, OCR, Edecel. They have all info.
fifionab
Hiii guys
I was wondering if anyone knows how I could do GCSEs out of school

French, Drama, German, History and Sociolgy or business

anybody have any ideas, who do I even ask?

All ideas are welcome - also does anyone know how much this would cost??

Please help

Are you currently enrolled at a school now?

You could just do them as extra subjects, i.e. self-study and not really be worried about marking for coursework, arrangement for oral exams etc.

Tbh, the easiest one to do is Sociology. With AQA - two exams, no coursework.
Reply 3
i did latin outside of school in years 10 and 11. i had 2 1-hour lessons per week, £20 per hour. cba with the maths.
Reply 4
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Go to an exam board website, AQA, OCR, Edecel. They have all info.

Good in theory but I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to searching things on sites - I tried, I failed
anyarian
i did latin outside of school in years 10 and 11. i had 2 1-hour lessons per week, £20 per hour. cba with the maths.

Surely it would be cheaper for you to study it yourself?
Reply 6
im so academic
Surely it would be cheaper for you to study it yourself?

it's cheaper to do a lot of things yourself. but i wasn't after a cheap gcse, i was after an A*, which i got. and then an A at AS level. i'm good, but not good enough to self-teach it.
Reply 7
I understant that it would be cheaper to self teach but does anyone know where I could take these exams??
Reply 8
fifionab
I understant that it would be cheaper to self teach but does anyone know where I could take these exams??

Any school or college that teaches those subjects can IF THEY WISH accept private candidates who study independently to take their exams. As a private candidate it's down to you to find somewhere and you will get little help to organise it.
You find somewhere that will take you and pay the exam fees.

But..... Not all are willing to do it. You phone their exams officers and ask. Most that will permit written exams will not help with coursework assessment, controlled assessment or practical assessments because it's a pain in the **** for them to administer. There are some fully private centres mostly in London but they charge an arm a leg.

tbh if you lack the self sufficiency to find information on an exam board web site I'm not sure you'll do well trying to self study.......
http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/Private%20Candidate%20Handbook%202009-2010.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/learners/ocr_39366_learn_private_cand_guide.pdf
Reply 9
I know its been 8 years, and you probably dont even come here anymore, however I want to take french gcse in my own time outside of school time. Did you ever find out how to do it?
Try wolsey hall they offer couses for home study including french and other subjects. You can study the course at your own pace and change the schedule if you need more time they will assign you a tutor and send you the course materal. You will also get a progress manager to help you. I am homeschooled full time and i'm currently taking my igcse's with them and they have helped me be ready in time for my exams. It will be up to you to book the exam maybe your school would let you take the exam their.
Languages and drama would be difficult because you need to do the speaking (for languages) and performance (for drama)
Reply 12
I really want to take PE gcse but my school doesn’t offer it. I’m absolutely willing to teach the theory to myself but does anyone know how I might go about the practical aspect and the examination?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RhiaMcd
I really want to take PE gcse but my school doesn’t offer it. I’m absolutely willing to teach the theory to myself but does anyone know how I might go about the practical aspect and the examination?

The practical assessment would be pretty much impossible if you're not doing it as school. AQA, who are the most honest about this, clearly state that GCSE PE it is not available to private candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest