Turn on thread page Beta

how do you feel about dating/marrige betweem cousins? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twaffy)
    Isn't it that you can't marry your first cousins its illegal and their kids will end up with genetic problems?
    No it is not illegal.

There may be a slightly bigger chance of problems, I accept that, but I turned out fine. (well, kind of :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Its disgusting in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would chose to get involved with a blood relation... There is something very, very wrong if they do.

Whats your justification Adhsur?

ReputationRep:
    If not blood related I can't see any problem with it, but I reckon it would still be a little weird, it depends on the sort of structure and culture your family has. If you're blood related though I really don't think it would be right at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think it's a bad idea, as it has a high probability of resulting in weak or mentally disabled children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    Its disgusting in my opinion. I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would chose to get involved with a blood relation... There is something very, very wrong if they do.

Whats your justification Adhsur?
    Well, you probably only say that because it's not normal in british culture. In many cultures, however, it is what is PREFERRED. I haven't encountered any disadvantages really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    I think it's a bad idea, as it has a high probability of resulting in weak or mentally disabled children.
    well, it isn't actually "high" as the probability is only 4-6%. However this is still too great a risk (one in every 20 children), in my opinion.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    well, it isn't actually "high" as the probability is only 4-6%. However this is still too great a risk (one in every 20 children), in my opinion.
    Yes, which is why I referred to it as a high probability. 1-2 percent would be debatable, but 1 in every 20 children is too risky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Well, you probably only say that because it's not normal in british culture. In many cultures, however, it is what is PREFERRED. I haven't encountered any disadvantages really.
    Yeah, so is arranged marriage. Doesn't mean it's good though?

Also, it was preferred in ancient Egypt to marry one's close siblings.. and then the entire Pharaoh family line died out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addict)
    You don't have to understand it, or even agree with it. Who other people go out with really has nothing to do with you! If you don't want to do it yourself, fine, but why judge others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewsJoseph)
    Yes, which is why I referred to it as a high probability. 1-2 percent would be debatable, but 1 in every 20 children is too risky!
    ok, I see what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    You don't have to understand it, or even agree with it. Who other people go out with really has nothing to do with you! If you don't want to do it yourself, fine, but why judge others?
    This isn't a question of personal liberty as the result may be a deformed child. However I am happy with the way the law stands right now as cousin marriage isn't seen often.

But I have a right to voice my disapproval in any case.

ReputationRep:
    my auntie and uncle are 1st blood cousins and married, and their children turned out fine. Although having 25% of the same blood, yeah it is risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    my auntie and uncle are 1st blood cousins and married, and their children turned out fine. Although having 25% of the same blood, yeah it is risky.
    Its RISKIER, as someone pointed out the percentage that a defect will take place if a few percent higher, but the risk is always there

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a question of personal liberty as the result may be a deformed child. However I am happy with the way the law stands right now as cousin marriage isn't seen often.

But I have a right to voice my disapproval in any case.
    So your problem is really with sex between cousins, isn't it? Not relationships themselves?

And besides, there are plenty of things that could result in a deformed or handicapped child. Do you want to sex after the age of, say, 45 made illegal to stop the risk of a Down's Syndrome child being born? Or perhaps you'd like all prospective parents to be screened for genetic diseases so that carriers of them can be banned from having children?

You do have the right to voice your disapproval, however, by being so judgemental it is making you appear to be a bit of an ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    So your problem is really with sex between cousins, isn't it? Not relationships themselves?

And besides, there are plenty of things that could result in a deformed or handicapped child. Do you want to sex after the age of, say, 45 made illegal to stop the risk of a Down's Syndrome child being born? Or perhaps you'd like all prospective parents to be screened for genetic diseases so that carriers of them can be banned from having children?

You do have the right to voice your disapproval, however, by being so judgemental it is making you appear to be a bit of an ass.
    to be fair,,the original poster asked us what we thought....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so is arranged marriage. Doesn't mean it's good though?

Also, it was preferred in ancient Egypt to marry one's close siblings.. and then the entire Pharaoh family line died out...
    Well, I personally wouldn't have an arranged marriage, but the people around me who have had one are very happy. Who are we to judge what is good or bad for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)

Good post. Will rep you for it when I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)

Hey, I'm a libertarian in my views, so banning things is really not in my nature. As I said I'm happy with the way the law is right now because most people realise the risks of such a marriage. In fact, screw it, I don't care what sort of children people want to have.

And if I am not to express my views, what's the point of this whole forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    to be fair,,the original poster asked us what we thought....
    Lol, I know that, but I just can't stand people who say things like "its disgusting" or "its just wrong". Well, it might be wrong for them, but until they've been in that particular situation, how can they possibly judge for everyone else?

I bet the people who have been so vocal in their condemnation of such relationships have never actually had any kind of experience of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Good post. Will rep you for it when I can
    Aw, thanks!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2005
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.