?
Report 9 years ago
Exists everywhere dont it?:lolwut:
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by soonerthanlater)
Exists everywhere dont it?:lolwut:
In some places more than others. For example, if I end up going to Leeds, it could be quite dangerous for me as a Turk. :mob:

What about Aberdeen...:hmmm:
soonerthanlater
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
In some places more than others. For example, if I end up going to Leeds, it could be quite dangerous for me as a Turk. :mob:

What about Aberdeen...:hmmm:

For a sec when you said "as a Turk" i thought you said "as Turk" like from scrubs:laugh:

Anyway nah ive never really heard of Aberdeen being a racist town as such. I wish i could go to leeds...so wanted to go the music fest:cry:

RamocitoMorales
I wish i could go to leeds...so wanted to go the music fest:cry:
I can't meet their offer anyway. :teehee:
soonerthanlater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't meet their offer anyway. :teehee:
Damn really? that sucks=/ so you gonna go ahead for aberdeen then?? what you gna study bro??
LaughingBro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Racism is everywhere!
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
I know ABDN is home to several international students. If racism was so bad, I'd doubt they'd stick around? :confused:
RamocitoMorales
that sucks=/ so you gonna go ahead for aberdeen then??
It's a blessing in disguise.

what you gna study bro??
Try searching downstairs, you might find what you're looking for.

(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
I know ABDN is home to several international students.
Every university has international students and some are more welcome than others. :mob:
acas13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pretty sure it's not very racist, well not compared to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee. Oil has made Aberdeen very multi-cultural
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Meh, depends where you hang out.
soonerthanlater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's a blessing in disguise.

Try searching downstairs, you might find what you're looking for.

lol okay i have no idea what you mean by that but i will try not to think about it too much lol
soonerthanlater
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by acas13)
Pretty sure it's not very recist, well not compared to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee. Oil has made Aberdeen very multi-cultural

Ive lived in Edinburgh all my life...who says its racist??:confused:
RamocitoMorales
Oil has made Aberdeen very multi-cultural
Multiculturalism is what sometimes causes racism. I live in London which is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Yet, it is also one of the most racist.

Personally, the less multicultural a place is, the better. That way immigrants are viewed as exotic, rather than as a problem.

lol okay i have no idea what you mean by that but i will try not to think about it too much lol
Spoiler:
Show
"Look downstairs" = Look at my signature.
spinal-accessory
Report 9 years ago
Pretty sure it's not very recist, well not compared to Glasgow, Edinburgh or Dundee. Oil has made Aberdeen very multi-cultural
What's the dental school like in Aberdeen?

Edit: Just realised you haven't started there yet. My bad.
darigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
According to this list of results you'll probably die in aberdeen before you complete first year
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

but same goes for glasgow

cornwall

etc etc etc
Eclectic Styles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's just streets and streets of pink snow up there...
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by darigan)
According to this list of results you'll probably die in aberdeen before you complete first year
Doesn't sound good,

Aberdeen 'is worst city for racism'

Figures released yesterday show Europe's self-styled "oil capital" has racked up more reports of racism per head than any other local authority area in Scotland.

Police recorded 479 racist incidents in the city in 2008-2009, up 57 per cent from the same period a year before, according to new statistics from the Scottish Government.

Liberal Democrat justice spokesman Robert Brown last night said the spike in the Aberdeen figure was "truly shocking".

Officials quickly attributed the rise to a get-tough attitude to race offences from local authorities in the North-east. But – with a large number of the Aberdeen victims understood to have been migrants from England or eastern Europe – the figures appear to have been inflated by a nationwide increase in reporting of "white-on-white" racism.

It was in Aberdeen last January last year that a 22-year-old brought up in the city but born in Cheltenham was beaten brutally for what her assailant took to be an English accent.

GREC keeps its own tally on incidents in Aberdeen. It found the biggest group of victims in the city were Africansespecially students who work the doors of the city's pubs and clubs. But they were closely followed by eastern Europeans, Indians working in the catering trade, and Scots and English.

It doesn't sound good at all! :shock:
TheStuRo
Report 9 years ago
Where did you get the idea that Aberdeen was racist? Scotland has a world-wide reputation for being a warm and welcoming country. I've lived in Scotland all my life and never came across anyone who is openly racist, yes there's small things but it would be understandable anywhere in the world.

There's a strong national identity in Scotland and that may put people off by thinking they won't be accepted however you have to realise that the Scottish identity is basically being proud of where you came from but also being nice and understanding of others. Nationalism is often seen as right-wing way of thinking but Scottish Nationalism is left-wing. Also, Scottish national identity is largely free from ethnic distinction, and many of "immigrant" descent see themselves and are seen as, Asian-Scots.

If anyone watched the recent political debates the English debates were full of people saying they should stop immigration because the normal English need jobs (creating a rise in BNP support) but the Scottish debates were about how we should encourage immigration because our population is declining.

So please come to Scotland.
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by TheStuRo)
So please come to Scotland.
I'll have to think about it...:hmmm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    Medicine Only Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Jun '20
  • University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Aug '20
  • University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 3 Oct '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (10)
22.73%
No (34)
77.27%

Watched Threads