The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Racism in Aberdeen...

Scroll to see replies

There is racism here as there is everywhere. However the university is massively multicultural and thousands of students of all races graduate every year unharmed. In most of my classes there must be at least 30% international students - higher and lower in other courses. At uni its very unlikely you will encounter racism (in my opinion anyway), the university is extremely tough on racism so if you have any problems its likely they will be dealt with sharpish! They are also very proud of welcoming international students.

Outwith uni there is racism but generally what you find is that any aggressive/violent behaviour is mostly confined to the very rough areas. It is similar to any other aggressive behaviour. I am white and scottish but i got shouted at in the street by a bunch of horrible yobs because i was wearing a suit, as i had visited a friend and hadn't changed after work! So they shouted at me because they thought i was rich/stuck-up/who-knows-what! If you are african you might get shouted at for that, if you old you might get shouted at for that! etc etc! (I will add in my 3 years of living in aberdeen, such an event has only happened once. I have an indian friend who has been here for 4 years and never had a problem.)

Its the same as in any other city. There are idiots, small minded fools who only want to cause trouble. There are also friendly welcoming people who dont care about race, where youre from or what your background is. Racism in aberdeen is certainly not as bad as the article makes out, where non aberdonians cower in fear after dark. Also question the reason for people are reporting to the police - maybe there is worse levels of racism in other parts, but in aberdeen the police are particularly helpful and supportive. I dunno, but i certainly wouldnt base a decision of whether or not to come to aberdeen on this one issue.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 41
Hmm, so i'm an eastern European with an English accent (got it in my debate club,can't get rid of it) chances aren't looking good for me. Guess i'll have to take up karate :biggrin:
Reply 42
racism....

oh come on, if you think you are a racist victim then go back to africa....

africa is a very rich continent and people who come from africa don't need to stay in europe!

the people in africa who are very much in need, will NEVER come to europe because they can't..

if i walk through london's streets i become a victim of racism every time because of africans...
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Does it exist? :curious:

No.

The chavs are a bit racist , but for the most part it isn't.

People in Aberdeen are very communist.

I am an Aberdeen graduate, British Asian. Graduated in 2010.
Hi there! :smile:

It just so happens I'm doing a research project this year on racism in Scotland, so I suppose I can pretend to be an expert!

Racism exists everywhere - in every city, in every country. Scotland itself is not known for being particularly racist, but that obviously doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. We have a habit here of directly comparing ourselves with England, so when Scots think of racial tensions, we tend to associate them with English cities like London, Bradford, Leeds, etc, which can make us complacent about racism in our own country, so we have traditionally been a bit slow in dealing with racism.

Also, your experience will be different because you'll be going to university, because people who have or are working towards a university degree are less likely to have racist attitudes, and have a more liberal outlook.

So basically, racism does exist in Aberdeen, just like everywhere else in Scotland, but I wouldn't say that it's particularly bad. I don't know exactly how it compares to Leeds, but I doubt that it's worse.

Please don't be put off by scare stories. Aberdeen is a fantastic city! I hope you make it there and you are made to feel very welcome and happy! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 45
My son's girlfriend is Scots of Chinese descent. She is regularly racially abused in Aberdeen.
Reply 46
Wow, Looking at this thread gives me goose bumps. Is the racism here that bad?

I'm Vietnamese and I will be starting this Sept. With all of this said, I'm starting to feel bad for myself. :frown:
I was 41 when this thread was made. time goes fast
Reply 48
It isn't living here is not a joke T
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Doesn't sound good,

It doesn't sound good at all! :shock:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending