The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i know that feeling :smile: noone ever does anything right at this time either. theres loads of supplements u could take that are supposed to relieve the symptoms of pms. google it, cos im not sure of any offhand. i guess at uni there will be loads of people around so u should just throw urself into an activity and try and forget about it. also i find esp with male mates that its good to give them a bit of warning around sensitive times, they do have a habit of saying the stupidest things when ur feeling touchy :smile:
Reply 2
Eat chocolate. I know its fattening, but it triggers seratonin and makes you feel better!
Also.. its fun :smile:
Reply 3
Yes I recommend chocolate.....you could do exercise to get them endorphins pumping but I can imagine that being that last thing you want to do....so chocolate it is :biggrin:
Reply 4
* gemchicken
Yes I recommend chocolate.....you could do exercise to get them endorphins pumping but I can imagine that being that last thing you want to do....so chocolate it is :biggrin:

i have been eating lots of chocolate but i also want to lose weight before uni..
Reply 5
lessthanthree
to be honest, I don't think you will be like this at uni. at least at the beginning. you'll be so busy you'll barely have time to worry.

To be honest with you, I feel a little bit down at the moment. [and it's not PMS because my periods have gone on holiday].

I think it's because we're in this anticlimactic intermediate stage where we're just whiling time away until we go off to uni. There's also the fact that you're probably deep down a bit sad that you're leaving home and friends and stuff.

my advice would be to occupy yourself with an attainable goal - like getting in shape or something. keep busy.

thanks for the advice.. i have been getting down bout liking someone too i think..seen as all my mates have bf's at the mo and spending all their with them. I think I will be better at uni..I'll meet new people.. But the depressive stage does seem to have at the same time of the month..thats why im worried it is to do with PMS :confused:
I think my attainable goal will b to stop eating chocolate...and buy lots of clothes instead
Reply 6
yeah and us guys never feel down... :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Annik
thanks for the advice.. i have been getting down bout liking someone too i think..seen as all my mates have bf's at the mo and spending all their with them. I think I will be better at uni..I'll meet new people.. But the depressive stage does seem to have at the same time of the month..thats why im worried it is to do with PMS :confused:
I think my attainable goal will b to stop eating chocolate...and buy lots of clothes instead

Well if it is PMS, look on the bright side, you only have one more PMS filled week before you start Uni :biggrin:
Reply 8
Actually...haven't people on previous thread suggested St Johns Wort? Now I've never tried them but from what I've heard they're good for PMS. You can get them here and there is info about them here

I hope you're feeling better soon :hugs:
Reply 9
In-between stages, post exam results and pre uni, make you often feel a bit unsure of yourself and your place in life and that can make people feel down.

It's supposed to be an exciting time but often its a big let down as you aren't really sure what to do, where to go, what to think etc etc.

Try not to worry about feeling a bit sad or angry or bored and do things you enjoy and relax as much as you can in your current situation, and uni will give you a whole new take on the world which should be good :smile: Eat healthily, exercise, have lots of vitamins and make time for yourself and your wellbeing.
Reply 10
good advice being posted here! especially from less than three....

* gemchicken
Actually...haven't people on previous thread suggested St Johns Wort? Now I've never tried them but from what I've heard they're good for PMS. You can get them here and there is info about them here

I have taken St Johns Wort, since in the past I have been depressed, and did not want to go on anti-depressants, or anything so 'strong', so i took it as a natural remedy. I don't know about it helping PMS, but it certainly does help to alleviate your mood...
Try going outside, going for walks or going for a jog. Getting outside in the air really helps.
Reply 12
Annik

Healthy alternatives to chocolate that make you feel good... nice fruit eg pineapple (depends on your taste lol) or really nice smoothies also cheer me up - either the sort you buy in a carton or the sort you make with fruit and yoghurt. Very sweet, very nice, good for you, AND make you feel happier!
Don't worry bout feelin down, regardless of whether its PMS or what (i dont exactly no wot that feels like... :rolleyes: , but I'm a bit down atm cos theres that 'lag time' between activities, u no? For me its the lag time from gcse results 2 startin 6th form, and any time im not making any social contact I jus gradually start sinking..but Im sure that things will def get better 4 u, especially startin uni...therell be plenty to keep u from feelin down :biggrin:
Reply 14
St Johns wart can be useful but it does interact with other medicines so check with your GP before taking it if you are on anything.

Keep a diary of your moods and when your periods are and where you are in your menstrual cycle to help you work out if it could be PMS or hormone related. http://www.pms.org.uk/ is a UK charity that can help with PMS symtoms, and it has info on St John's Wort.
Reply 15
Apparently around that time you are most energetic and more likely to lose weight etc etc. Bounce around a little, go for walks try new things. Do not sit around and feel down, I know the feeling and I prefer to spiral into glum thoughts and get into a mood (not PMS yucky phrase)...It is easier to feeel low then do something about it.

Do not overdose on the St John's though. Happy pills do exist but try alternatives - being with others who are not feeling so low, doing things that you enjoy a change of scenery perhaps. Think bright - the cup is half full not half empty and the best is yet to come. Think of times when you were happier and try and get back to that way of feeling. Try and solve any problems if that is what is making you feel low.

With things like chocolate you get a high and then a low afterwards as well. One step forward and two steps back. Clothes/decorations etc would be good as you can see where it has gone and say well this item makes me feel/look good and you feel positive about you and doing something for you. Or maybe something charitable, for another individual.
Chocolate is actually a good idea it can perk you up quickly if you have about 1 chunk in the morning
Reply 17
It does, but so does anything sugary. It does give you a low afterwards - not immediately, but it does. Fruit and so on is just as good.
Reply 18
Drink some redbull and lucozade and let the feeling flow... :cool:
Reply 19
* gemchicken

I hope you're feeling better soon :hugs:

St Johns Wort gives me nightmares. It's used for different things though; In Russia its used for a physical illness. My mother gives it to me to treat that but as she gets it from UK it says for depression. Just thought i might add that :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending