What's it like to be a white, middle-class citizen in Britan? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by LibertineNorth)
Argh! We are moderated! (and it was about as subtle as a good coshing in a dark alleyway)
a few months modding D&D has made me very good at spotting the dupe account people.
In this case it was oilcan/bleddyn/anthrax raising his ugly head again.

You guys should trust me more. I wouldn't ban someone just because of political allegiance or personal viewpoint, no matter what anyone claims.

If you see someone get banned quickly soon after making a thread/post like this thread, then its nearly always going to be because the threadhas red flaged them in my head, I have checked them out and found it is an old troll returning.
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jamie)
a few months modding D&D has made me very good at spotting the dupe account people.
In this case it was oilcan/bleddyn/anthrax raising his ugly head again.

You guys should trust me more. I wouldn't ban someone just because of political allegiance or personal viewpoint, no matter what anyone claims.

If you see someone get banned quickly soon after making a thread/post like this thread, then its nearly always going to be because the threadhas red flaged them in my head, I have checked them out and found it is an old troll returning.
We're just on the lookout Jamie, cos we love D&D. Don't worry
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's brilliant, I am having the time of my life.
SolInvictus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Being upper middle-class has provided me with many oppurtunities. I have been well cared for by my parents, and have had economic priviledges that most people never had. However, I do feel that my parents' "roundhead" view of child upbringing has prevented me from turning into a spoiled brat, the way other children from upper middle or upper-class backgrounds turn out.

EDIT: I don't think I would want to be White.:eek: Living in Texas, it puts you at too great a risk for skin cancer.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SolInvincitus)
Being upper middle-class has provided me with many oppurtunities. I have been well cared for by my parents, and have had economic priviledges that most people never had. However, I do feel that my parents' "rounhead" view of child upbringing has prevented me from turning into a spoiled brat, the way other children from upper middle or upper-class backgrounds turn out.

EDIT: I don't think I would want to be White.:eek: Living in Texas, it puts you at too great a risk for skin cancer.
Whats rounhead?
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooops.... I meant Roundhead.
Lord Waddell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its in all honesty great. Yes, taxes are higher than for poorer people, but they aren't unbearably high. I get help from parents in schoolwork, live in a great neighbourhood, go to a good school, get good exam results, will probably go to a good university...the list is long. In short, being middle class is the optimum position in life. You have a good start in life but you have to make your own way in the world. Although we of course aspire to the social group above. Race and colour is neither here nor there.
pheebs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
boring
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ooops.... I meant Roundhead.
What's roundhead then? I don't understand...
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am white but I'm working class so can't really say
Lord Waddell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
What's roundhead then? I don't understand...
Maybe he meant rounded.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
Maybe he meant rounded.
He probably did now you mention it.
SolInvictus
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant Roundhead.... as in Puritan? Don't any of you Brits remeber your own History? Remember the English Civil War, Roundhead against the Cavaliers?

My parents do have somewhat conservative Puritan views on raising children. They believe in lot's of love and care, but not in material excesses that create Sloaney Brat Kids.
d00d
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm not middle class.. So can't really comment
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wise One)
It's pretty close to great. I've gone to a pretty damned good sixth form college (which I didn't have to pay for), got decent results, am off to a briliiant university, and will probably get (all things going as planned) a relatively good graduate-level job. I've got good friends, the prospect of free healthcare if its needed, can walk the streets without being beaten up, and am free to express my left-wing libertarian ideals without being arrested or shot. I'm about as happy as I can be, really.
I'm neither white nor middle class but I can say the same as him- apart from the 'good sixth form college' part- in fact we're going to the same uni.
Lord Waddell
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I meant Roundhead.... as in Puritan? Don't any of you Brits remeber your own History? Remember the English Civil War, Roundhead against the Cavaliers?

My parents do have somewhat conservative Puritan views on raising children. They believe in lot's of love and care, but not in material excesses that create Sloaney Brat Kids.
Ah, right. More or less Victorian, children should be seen but not heard, but a lot less harsh? But if you said puritan instead of Roundhead then we would have got what you were saying.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 13 years ago
yeh, i dont think roundhead and puritan were one in the same.
Most puritans were roundheads, but not vice versa....
it just happened that those in power of the roundheads were puritan. particularly cromwell.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
The only downside to being middle class in Britain?.
They're seen as poncy,arsey, pretentious and spoilt?
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
They're seen as poncy,arsey, pretentious and spoilt?
Do you know me personally?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lord Waddell)
Although we of course aspire to the social group above. .
Beekeeper also makes this point--what do you mean "we"? It really perplexes me when some people on this forum assume that everybody's ultimate objective life is to aspire to the next class up. There are loads of people that feel that going up the class ladder isn't really anything to aim for, in fact that it seems a more tedious route to go...there are many people who "slum it", and put on estuary accents when they come from very proper middle class homes etc
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.91%
No (698)
73.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise