Turn on thread page Beta

What's it like to be a white, middle-class citizen in Britan? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Beekeeper also makes this point--what do you mean "we"? It really perplexes me when some people on this forum assume that everybody's ultimate objective life is to aspire to the next class up, or for more money. There are loads of people that feel that going up the class ladder isn't really anything to aim for, in fact that it seems a more tedious route to go...there are many people who "slum it", and put on estuary accents when they come from very proper middle class homes
    Your point? Personally if I had nothing to aspire to I don't think I'd still be making the effort to breathe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Your point? Personally if I had nothing to aspire to I don't think I'd still be making the effort to breathe.
    I just meant why assume that everybody shares those particular aspirations?, not that people aspire to nothing

ReputationRep:
    I am a bit confused here. By Middle Class, are we referring to people of Median incomes? or perhaps the Bourgeiose?

ReputationRep:
    Beekeeper also makes this point--what do you mean "we"? It really perplexes me when some people on this forum assume that everybody's ultimate objective life is to aspire to the next class up. There are loads of people that feel that going up the class ladder isn't really anything to aim for, in fact that it seems a more tedious route to go...there are many people who "slum it", and put on estuary accents when they come from very proper middle class homes etc
    Yes but then you must assess the reasons people choose for 'slumming it'. Being upper class has in recent years become unfashionable and gained negative connotation. Something like a hundred years ago, being middle class would have been like hovering between failure (lower class) and the elite (upper class).
    Now it is perfectly respectable to stay within the happy medium, as you can be called neither common nor a snob.

ReputationRep:
    Beekeeper also makes this point--what do you mean "we"? It really perplexes me when some people on this forum assume that everybody's ultimate objective life is to aspire to the next class up. There are loads of people that feel that going up the class ladder isn't really anything to aim for, in fact that it seems a more tedious route to go...there are many people who "slum it", and put on estuary accents when they come from very proper middle class homes etc
    Very few people aspire to become poorer than they are, and everyone aspires to something, for example a promotion in the workplace, a nicer home, better car, bigger pay check. That is what I mean, and when I say we I mean those people of the middle classes that aspire upwards.

ReputationRep:
    "I am sick of my interests being put last"

hehe straight off a BNP leaflet.

Well I'm not sure whether I'm white or middle class, but if I am, then its pretty sweet.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty annoyed that you have to 'explain' if you think its great. but not being in the middle class i cant 'discuss'

ReputationRep:
    Not as good as being a white upper class citizen in today's Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Not as good as being a white upper class citizen in today's Britain.
    holla

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself to be white working class but my parents have a pretty "middle class" attitude (work hard, support your children), have good jobs and have a decent house and their attitude has definatly helped guide my life in the best way possible. I live near a large council estate and the majority of people I knew there my age are now unemployed and are doing drugs and everything so I am glad to have been supported from such a young age. So middle class life sounds great! (These posts are really defeating the point of the OP )

TBH, it would probably help if someone could define what makes someone middle class as opposed to working class

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.