This discussion is closed.
edufly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Did anyone here watch the Harrison Ford film 'Witness' shown during xmas? It was based on a small amish community in the USA. And for those who haven't got a clue about the Amish, I suggest you research them because they live a very different life to the rest of us. You may find them completely fascinating or utter rubbish.
But it is interesting that they live the way they do.

Could u live their lifestyle..I certaintly cudn't!
_EMMA_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
Did anyone here watch the Harrison Ford film 'Witness' shown during xmas? It was based on a small amish community in the USA. And for those who haven't got a clue about the Amish, I suggest you research them because they live a very different life to the rest of us. You may find them completely fascinating or utter rubbish.

no i couldn't either
Matt the cat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I didn't watch it, i i have seen it before and actually quite enjoyed it. As for being Amish, i dont think i could do that, but to some extent i could happily live their lifestyle. I mean i do not believe in some of their practices, but i could warm to the idea of being selfsufficient living in relatively small community.

However i dont think that is the direction we should be heading towards
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Fantastic film!

I dunno, there's something about renouncing the rat race and all this modern technology.. a simple life seems very appealing sometimes. Don't know if I could do all the religion stuff though! They certainly aren't utter rubbish, however. They do no harm to anyone, they have a strenght of faith that is very admirable. And what's better is that they don't make their kids follow the religion: they send them out of the community when they're about 18 to experience life in the outside world, and then the kids decide for themselves whether they want to be part of the Amish community and religion or take up a job and life outside. Sounds amazingly tolerant to me. (Interestingly I think a lot of the kids DO choose to go back and live in the Amish community.)
edufly
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I can see why they would chose to live their lifestyles the way they do, look at all the greed and dishonesty in the modern world today.

And I could live without a television like they do, because terrestial television is complete and utter shite.

An amish lifestlye would be appealing to many, but could you lot really live without what you have now!

Apparently the amish arrived in america from Europe.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can see why they would chose to live their lifestyles the way they do, look at all the greed and dishonesty in the modern world today.

And I could live without a television like they do, because terrestial television is complete and utter shite.

An amish lifestlye would be appealing to many, but could you lot really live without what you have now!

Apparently the amish arrived in america from Europe.
Sure, and the Amish know quite a bit about greed, hiding as they do behind their religion to get tax fee status for their businesses.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had to analyse every last minute of The Witness for my GCSE Media Studies a few years ago so its hard to watch the film without getting bored of it now. I couldn't live like the Amish although there are a few aspcets of their lifestyle that I think would be really nice. Is a really great film though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (49)
14.12%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (47)
13.54%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (129)
37.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (35)
10.09%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
19.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
5.48%

Watched Threads