Sociology AS + A2 Watch

Claud
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm currently doing my AS levels, psychology, art, ict and chemistry, and will be doing an EPQ on characteristics of serial killers next year. I want to apply for a Criminology course at Uni, and i'm thinking about taking Sociology up as an AS next year. The only problem is the crime and society aspects of it don't come in until A2.
Is it worth it? Is it possible to do the whole of AS and A2 in one year.
Could I just buy text books and teach myself the crime sections?
HELP PLEASE!
katebushfan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're interested in serial killers it'd probably be more useful to study psychology than criminology.

It's worth taking sociology, despite the fact you won't learn any of the crime content till the second year you still get an overview of some of the stuff that is bound to come up in your course (such as different views on age/ sex/ gender/ race/ ethnicity/ etc etc etc etc).
Claud
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by katebushfan)
If you're interested in serial killers it'd probably be more useful to study psychology than criminology.

It's worth taking sociology, despite the fact you won't learn any of the crime content till the second year you still get an overview of some of the stuff that is bound to come up in your course (such as different views on age/ sex/ gender/ race/ ethnicity/ etc etc etc etc).
Yeah I do psychology atm, and I love it - planning on carrying it on next year.
Thanks for your advice!
Kimberley*xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends what modules the teacher chooses to do at A2 anyway. I haven't done anything to with crime, I did power and politics :/ and then social inequalities. You could take the AS anyway as Criminology has similar theories and concepts to Sociology so it would help you. And maybe just read up on the crime parts? You could buy a book on Criminology to learn more about it and put this in your personal statement?
katebushfan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Claud)
Yeah I do psychology atm, and I love it - planning on carrying it on next year.
Thanks for your advice!
That's okay, but in all seriousness if you're more interested in serious crimes (serial killers...) look into forensic psychology. Or criminology with psychology. Just a pointer, incase that is what you're looking for. Otherwise good luck and all the best with your Criminology degree!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (113)
46.12%
Pro-humanity (132)
53.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise