J-curve effect Watch

Tallon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Is the Y axis "change in current account" or "current account" or "effect on current account"? So many soruces tell me differently. because surely change in cc would start at zero then move, whilst current account could be anywhere, you know?

feel embarrassed starting so many threads here :\
Magic Dust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tallon)
Is the Y axis "change in current account" or "current account" or "effect on current account"? So many soruces tell me differently. because surely change in cc would start at zero then move, whilst current account could be anywhere, you know?

I haven't seen you start any other then this, and that's what this forum is for anyway Don't feel embarrassed!

I don't know what a J curve is, so I am not really much help... But I found the wiki here. Although, from what I can see it might not be very helpful. Sorry. Which subject is this for?
acp11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I believe it's "current account" therefore allowing the possibility of a negative number to indicate a deficit.
paul_blakeman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes it is the current account. Do not get too bogged down with the numbers, it is more a representation of what happen. It is the same with the Lafffer curve, which implies that a 50% tax rate will always bring about the most tax revenue. See the diagram as an aid to an explanation, concentrating on the shape as opposed to the realism of the data. Also, check out the UK's recent trade deficit if you want to see it hold true! Despite the UK's relatively weak pound, we have seen our current account actually increase it's deficit. Worth a quick look
Magic Dust
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by acp11)
I believe it's "current account" therefore allowing the possibility of a negative number to indicate a deficit.
Sorry, but your signature made ma laugh so much! Remind me to rep you tomorrow
Tallon
Rep:
?
(Original post by paul_blakeman)
Yes it is the current account. Do not get too bogged down with the numbers, it is more a representation of what happen. It is the same with the Lafffer curve, which implies that a 50% tax rate will always bring about the most tax revenue. See the diagram as an aid to an explanation, concentrating on the shape as opposed to the realism of the data. Also, check out the UK's recent trade deficit if you want to see it hold true! Despite the UK's relatively weak pound, we have seen our current account actually increase it's deficit. Worth a quick look

So it's current account? In my textbook it's "effect on current account" but it starts negative, not at the origin :\.
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So it's current account? In my textbook it's "effect on current account" but it starts negative, not at the origin :\.
as it's assumes that current account is in deficit.
acp11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Magic Dust)
Sorry, but your signature made ma laugh so much! Remind me to rep you tomorrow
Haha, thanks, will try to remember to remind you.
Tallon
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldsilvy)
as it's assumes that current account is in deficit.

also, the curve only starts being drawn after time moves on from 0. is that just bad curve drawing? Should start from somewhere in the y axis and move right?
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
also, the curve only starts being drawn after time moves on from 0. is that just bad curve drawing? Should start from somewhere in the y axis and move right?
This is more or less how I draw J-curve effect:
Tallon
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldsilvy)
This is more or less how I draw J-curve effect:

Why does the line only start being drawn after time has moved on a bit? Surely the line should come from the y axis where time = 0?
Tallon
Rep:
?
up
goldsilvy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why does the line only start being drawn after time has moved on a bit? Surely the line should come from the y axis where time = 0?
Maybe because no country starts with a current account deficit/surplus? Only after some time these occur. Eee ... maybe?
wubwoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's just a sketch - These diagrams are not meant to be technical or rigorous because we have no data to plot.

This is done in many textbooks, and just shows roughly what the effect would be. If we were drawing a correct graph, the line would start at 0 on the x-axis and at the relevant starting balance of payments level on the y-axis.

However, this is just a short non-technical sketch - as said before, don't get bogged down in the technicalities - as long as you can explain this effect and show it diagrammatically, you should be fine.

Also, for the "J-curve" style graph, it would have to be current account or current account level on the y-axis.
If it were "change in current account" then the "J" would be centered around 0 - i.e at time 0, change in current account is 0!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.81%
Pro-humanity (168)
54.19%