Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...shouldn't all of those adults who graduated during the days of no fees be hit with bills for their degrees in the same way that the current generation of students are already incurring huge debts that, if the caps were removed would only get bigger?

After all, I'm sure there's a small chance that a large minority of adults aged 35+ who have degrees will more than be able to afford it - and will have benefitted from having a degree during times when fewer people were going to university.

Put that question to your Vice Chancellors - will they be willing to pay the equivelant of a full top-up fee for the degrees that they already have to compensate for the free education that they received and set an example to everyone else? (It's always easy for people to say: "Someone else should pay for my benefit!" - i.e. getting someone else to plug the funding gap that Central Government won't fill. )

What say you?

Do you agree?
    Will you be emailing your VC and/or putting your question to them in person?
    Will you be emailing your new MP via http://www.writetothem.com/ to see whether they agree or disagree in principle?

If you do email anyone in power, feel free to paste the response in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people who made their decision to go to university based on there being no tuition costs should be punished for it, they just made the most out of government at the time.

ReputationRep:
    The people who talk about it being important for students to pay huge fees for courses always get on my nerves. Often it's people who went to university when it was free or really cheap! It's like they're saying "it's not coming from my wallet so it doesn't matter"

I don't think people should be punished for it though. It isn't right.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.