German/ International Relations/both at Leeds anyone? Watch

noodle1987
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Anyone out there going to study German and IR at Leeds or one of both? It'd be really good to get in touch with a couple of people who I'll be studying with before I go. I've been out of education for a few years and have been working, I'm a bit worried I'll be out of my deph and it'd help to chat to others who'll be doing the course too.

Get in touch please!
Moonbeam1991
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by noodle1987)
Anyone out there going to study German and IR at Leeds or one of both? It'd be really good to get in touch with a couple of people who I'll be studying with before I go. I've been out of education for a few years and have been working, I'm a bit worried I'll be out of my deph and it'd help to chat to others who'll be doing the course too.

Get in touch please!
Hmm I would be a 2nd year doing straight politics, but IR and Politics do so many of the same modules and I did your core main first year modules this year.

So if you are worried about being out of touch, I can put you in the right direction for some good books an overview one that is partially interesting and a core text for your international politics module and if you like: "Hegemony"; "US Foreign Policy"; "What approach USA should take to world"; "Why USA still has it" I have a perfect book that is highly interesting to set you up for a 1st on an essay.

I know people in 2nd year who study German and IR and French and IR, soz best of use I can be to you, thought better to offer you some help not quiet what you was after, but so your nerves are eased and you feel more welcomed
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Get in touch please!
I'm going to be doing IR at Leeds in 2010 grades providing.
noodle1987
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Moonbeam1991)
Hmm I would be a 2nd year doing straight politics, but IR and Politics do so many of the same modules and I did your core main first year modules this year.

So if you are worried about being out of touch, I can put you in the right direction for some good books an overview one that is partially interesting and a core text for your international politics module and if you like: "Hegemony"; "US Foreign Policy"; "What approach USA should take to world"; "Why USA still has it" I have a perfect book that is highly interesting to set you up for a 1st on an essay.

I know people in 2nd year who study German and IR and French and IR, soz best of use I can be to you, thought better to offer you some help not quiet what you was after, but so your nerves are eased and you feel more welcomed
Hi Moonbeam, that's great to hear. What is the name of the book? Do you know where I could get it from? It's a bit cheeky but any chnace I could borrow it? Dont worry if you don't want to lend it but if you let me know what type of thing I need to be reading I would really appreciate it. How do you find Leeds as a Uni? It seemed awesome on the open day.
Moonbeam1991
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Moonbeam, that's great to hear. What is the name of the book? Do you know where I could get it from? It's a bit cheeky but any chnace I could borrow it? Dont worry if you don't want to lend it but if you let me know what type of thing I need to be reading I would really appreciate it. How do you find Leeds as a Uni? It seemed awesome on the open day.
I would lend it to you but I dont own it, I wished i did have it. But I loaned a copy and kept renewing it all semester lol. Key Text is a little dull in places but it will allow you to discover what your interests in International Politics actually are.

Joseph Nye Is very intriguing and any talk of the concept of soft power. He represents the Liberalist faction in International Politics. The key text is short snippets of what your in store for, some case studies are interesting but it is a textbook. Where as Paradox of American Power, is more like an interesting read if your interested in how the USA is powerful and how it could potentially continue to be powerful, or the potential to decline.

I can show you my essay on realism and Morgenthau opponents to Nye, i got a high 2:1 on but had no prior knowledge so im chuffed with that. I got notes on Nye if you get into that much lol currently doing my 2nd essay on Soft Power.

Anyway if you want to talk about the subject, or anything University I do my best to help. Or just share interests add me on FB: [email protected].

Im pretty damn happy with the Uni, the department is pretty damn good too. Expert on Middle East we have in Proffessor Clive Jones, he takes one of the lectures next year, the middle east one lol. How many Uni's actually teach Asian Pacific politics aswell. I will be doing modules on Japanese, Chinese politics and may do Russian politics next year, aswell as US politics and British Central Government.

Here is this years reading list for the main International module most relevant to your programme of study: Module Reading List Have you fought about other modules yet?
Chantalcompowder
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Get in touch please!
I'll be a second year German and Linguistics student next year so if you have any questions do let me know. The German department is a small but close knit one and as a member of the German Society committee i would recommend that you join. A lot of my friends that i have made here are because of the society. (not that i'm biased or anything!)

The German course here is quite demanding, i won't lie. But don't worry if you feel swamped, almost everyone does whether they've come straight from school, a gap year or haven't been in education for a while. One of my good friends hadn't been in education for a couple of years and is well on her way to a 2:1. All i can say is that as long as you keep up with the work, you should be fine!

Hopefully i'll see you in september!
LabsDabs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
spanish and IR for me (if I get the grades!) should be good fun - looking forward to it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (695)
80.63%
Leave (167)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise