Turn on thread page Beta

Council tax - one student, one working watch

Both of you living in a shared flat.

Those of you in such a situation, what do you do - worker pays all, or split?

ReputationRep:
    It depends if the student has the money to help pay. Tbh, the council gives you it for free for a reason, and it would just be another expense, which may prove tricky to pay later on in the year if you've not budgeted enough.

ReputationRep:
    evict the worker!

ReputationRep:
    If only one adult lives in a property, they will get a 25 per cent discount on the council tax bill. When working out how many people live in a property, some people are not counted. These are called disregarded people.

You are disregarded if you are:

•a full-time student on a qualifying course of education, including student nurses. Foreign Language Assistants on the official British Council programme are also counted as students for the purposes of Council Tax

Thanks Reue, I know of the discount and mentioned in the OP.

What I'm interested to know is what other people in this situation do.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are a couple of ways to look at it.

1) Council tax is charged to a property, not individuals. Individuals should pay equally.

2) If you weren't living there, the property should be council tax free. You should pay it all.

ReputationRep:
    Who was in the flat first? If it was the worker then I think the student should offer to put up half, or move out.

ReputationRep:
    Tricky situation. I think it's unfair to ask the student to pay half of the £900 (is this per year?), as they could not pay at all with another student; but at the same time, you could also find someone else who would split the council tax and get it cheaper as well (£600?)

Maybe a compromise? As the govt gave 25% off the council tax because of the student, you offer to pay 75% of the £900 and him the 25%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falls_whisper)
    Tricky situation. I think it's unfair to ask the student to pay half of the £900 (is this per year?), as they could not pay at all with another student; but at the same time, you could also find someone else who would split the council tax and get it cheaper as well (£600?)

Maybe a compromise? As the govt gave 25% off the council tax because of the student, you offer to pay 75% of the £900 and him the 25%.
    You misunderstand. The gov't don't give the discount because there is a student living there.

It is a single person discount for the working person - students are not counted as people. If another (working) person moved in, the council tax will return to the full amount.

ReputationRep:
    therefore the student has no obligation to pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very interesting question. I think the "who was there first?" question is important.

From the perspective of a student being there first, taking in another student would result in no council tax, while taking in a working person would result in 75% council tax - suggesting the working person should pay the lot.

From the perspective of a working person being there first, taking in another working person would result in only having to pay 50% of the council tax, with the other working person obviously paying the other 50%. Taking in a student would result in having to pay 75% of the council tax, the other 25% being the discount. My take in this scenario would be that the student should offer to pay a third of it, so that the working person pays the same as if they'd brought in another working person.

ReputationRep:
    Taking in a student would not "result in having to pay 75%" that is the situation even without a student in the property. A student makes no change at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Taking in a student would not "result in having to pay 75%" that is the situation even without a student in the property. A student makes no change at all.
    That's true, if you're comparing the one-person situation with the two-person situation. But if you've got, say, a two-bedroom flat, that's not really a sensible comparison. You're looking for a second person, so you want to compare your two options for a second person. You're not thinking "okay, if I take in this student, that won't change my council tax" - you're thinking "I can take in either a student or a working person - I'd prefer the working person, as then they'll pay half the council tax."

ReputationRep:
    and a student won't pay anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    and a student won't pay anything.
    So, the working person would prefer to take in another working person. Therefore, my argument is that if a working person is looking for a housemate, a student should offer to pay a small portion of the council tax, as otherwise the working person will simply think "I don't want to take in a student, or it'll cost me more."

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.