Who gains & who loses from the introduction of a tariff? (please help!) Watch

satisfactionatlast
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Using a suitable diagram of course.
My exam is tomorrow and I just need to clear this up. I surfed the net but it doesn't seem to give me a precise answer. Thank you so much, I really apreciate this
Magic Dust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by satisfactionatlast)
Using a suitable diagram of course.
My exam is tomorrow and I just need to clear this up. I surfed the net but it doesn't seem to give me a precise answer. Thank you so much, I really apreciate this
The country imposing the tariff are meant to gain as they get extra money from anything imported which they can then hypoticate into investing in their own industries. However, if they put the tariff too high they might loose trade and there for might have a decline in their economic output as people cannot afford to buy the cheap goods they could before,

Counties who have a productive advantage loose out, because they are unable to use their advantage due to the high tariffs - in third world countries this is particularly a problem due to America and the EU having high barriers on agriculture.

Business in other countries tend to loose out, as they might loose potential customers because if a tariff is imposed, it is likely they'll have to increase their prices, which may lead buyers to source from else where if it is cheaper.

Businesses in the country loose out because they may face increased prices, which could lead to reduced profit if they pass these onto their consumers, as sales may fall.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head, but I am sure there is more Hope this helps!
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magic Dust)
The country imposing the tariff are meant to gain as they get extra money from anything imported which they can then hypoticate into investing in their own industries. However, if they put the tariff too high they might loose trade and there for might have a decline in their economic output as people cannot afford to by the cheap goods they could before,

Counties who have a productive advantage loose out, because they are unable to use their advantage due to the high tariffs - in third world countries this is particularly a problem due to America and the EU having high barriers on agriculture.

Business in other countries tend to loose out, as they might loose potential customers because if a tariff is imposed, it is likely they'll have to increase their prices, which may lead buyers to source from else where if it is cheaper.

Businesses in the country loose out because they may face increased prices, which could lead to reduced profit if they pass these onto their consumers, as sales may fall.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head, but I am sure there is more Hope this helps!
thank you so much!
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well logically the person who imposes the tariff - you're hardly likely to impose a tariff which doesn't help you.

Random example; Fordney-McCumber Tariff in the USA, 1920s. Benefited US agrarian crops as they stopped importing European fruit and stuff (well, they put a massive tax on them so people would only buy American, trying to increase US isolationism after WW1).

This was immediately beneficial for the USA, although the result was that European countries set up tariffs against US goods, which was obvs mad for the Americans.

Overall - tariffs help the people who set them up.
Magic Dust
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by satisfactionatlast)
thank you so much!
Also any customer in general looses out because they have less choice, they also have to pay higher prices, especially if the tariff is baring a producer with a production advantage.

Any producers in the sector that is being protected by the tariff gain because they have less competition. It also means they can sell their goods/services for higher prices and depending on the PED of the good customers wont have much choice but to pay... However, this could lead to production inefficiency, which could mean that customers loose out on the quality, or price.
satisfactionatlast
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Well logically the person who imposes the tariff - you're hardly likely to impose a tariff which doesn't help you.

Random example; Fordney-McCumber Tariff in the USA, 1920s. Benefited US agrarian crops as they stopped importing European fruit and stuff (well, they put a massive tax on them so people would only buy American, trying to increase US isolationism after WW1).

This was immediately beneficial for the USA, although the result was that European countries set up tariffs against US goods, which was obvs mad for the Americans.

Overall - tariffs help the people who set them up.
thank you too
superman19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Been a while since I did economics but I think the easiest way is literally just an increase in price on a supply diagram. I'm probably completely wrong.
Magic Dust
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by superman19)
Been a while since I did economics but I think the easiest way is literally just an increase in price on a supply diagram. I'm probably completely wrong.
I thought it looked this this:

syn3rgy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSQTbd2iJtY
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?