Turn on thread page Beta

The universe and me - Also please answer these questions! Survey, sort of! watch

ReputationRep:
    What am I? What are you? Are you infinite? What the **** is going on when I can even say these questions and understand them, and ponder them... They say many philosophers went mad... or were mad! (The line between insanity and genius is measured only by success!) I can understand why in a way.

One can never truly figure it out... it is the big question though. What is the point of being? Why are we here, on this planet at this time? What is our purpose if any? Do you believe what we do here has consequences after death? Do you believe this life is all there is, that death is the end?

Personally I believe we are the universe experiencing it's self, subjectively :woo: as Bill Hicks said!

We are part of all that is... consciousness creates this physical universe in order to experience, learn grow etc. I don't believe in God. A beginning and end of the universe are even harder to comprehend.

SO slightly drunken ramblings but hopefully not total rubbish! :p:

I pose 10 questions to you, (say any response if you can't be bothered to do the questionnaire... including I'm mental, and or need to go to bed!) or answer them and add extra info

1) Do you believe in life after death?
    2) Do you believe in reincarnation?
    3) Do you believe in God?
    4) Do you believe in the here and now? This life is all you have?
    5) Do you believe in karma? (Interpret that however you like)
    6) Do you believe there is life on other planets?
    7) Do you believe there was a beginning?
    8) Do you believe there will be an end?
    9) Do you believe in constant evolution biologically?
    10) Do you believe in constant evolution of the soul, or consciousness?

A few beers doesn't normally make me think all this stuff! :woo: Oh well. I think therefore I am mad

Plan Bs new album is f'in amazing as a side note! *No more uni as the best side note *

ReputationRep:

No, no reason to

No, that's just silly

No, that's just silly

Yes

No, that's just silly

Yes, if you disagree, you will just end up looking stupid.

Not sure what this means, I believe that something always was and that something leads to everything else?

An end to everything?

No.

Yes

Not too sure what this means?

ReputationRep:
    Try logically analysing some of those "questions" and you'll find the discussion of them to be utterly pointless, and that even my saying this is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Anglerfish: You really think any talk, discussion, debate ever about any of those subjects is pointless? Nothing Is pointless, especially not talking, expressing, communicating with other people. That might just be me that thinks that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    Try logically analysing some of those "questions" and you'll find the discussion of them to be utterly pointless, and that even my saying this is pointless.
    ...pointless.

ReputationRep:
    No.

No.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

I don't know.

Again, I don't know.

Yes.

Like... personal spiritual development? Sure thing. Within our lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tangerine Dream)
    Anglerfish: You really think any talk, discussion, debate ever about any of those subjects is pointless? Nothing Is pointless, especially not talking, expressing, communicating with other people. That might just be me that thinks that though.
    Look at it this way: can we know the answers to those questions? No, because they are metaphysical and thus beyond any meaning. Is there any reason to discuss that which cannot be known? No. Is the discussion of that which cannot be known anything more than inexorably fruitless speculation? No.

Anyone who speaks about this nonsense is being a metaphysical moron, militant atheists included (yes Dawkins, I'm looking at you).

(Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    ...pointless.
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    guess you aren't a big fan of philosophy then! Oh well... I like to think.

ReputationRep:
    Are you infinite?...I can even understand these questions
    A likely story.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't seem to be...

ReputationRep:
    birdsong1: That was meant to read I can't understand these questions... Typo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdsong1)
    A likely story.
    Haha... not sure why I found this funny...

ReputationRep:
    1) Do you believe in life after death? no
    2) Do you believe in reincarnation? no
    3) Do you believe in God? no
    4) Do you believe in the here and now? This life is all you have? yes
    5) Do you believe in karma? (Interpret that however you like) definitely
    6) Do you believe there is life on other planets? that would be cool but also worrying as they might invade us or something
    7) Do you believe there was a beginning? it hurts my brain to think about that stuff its too complicated
    8) Do you believe there will be an end? dont know
    9) Do you believe in constant evolution biologically? yes
    10) Do you believe in constant evolution of the soul, or consciousness? not heard of this and not sure what it means but whatever

some of my answers contradict each other but im jus not 100% on any of it tbh no of us can be life's too short to be really thinking about these things too much

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I am somewhat intrigued by philosophy. It fascinates me how truly irrational the human race managed to be up until the 20th century (and even during that century), and I have read many metaphysical texts - primarily those by Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Heidegger, Sartre and Kierkegaard, though I concede that I did so out of an interest in how humans thought in the past.

And I wouldn't say that I disregard every aspect of philosophy, for I am greatly interested in the philosophy of language and mathematics; but for all intents and purposes, it is my philosophical belief that philosophy is irrelevant and, at best, a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    In working on my own answers to life etcetera I came close to going insane. I nearly had it all worked out but I don't dare think about it again because it changes your outlook on everything, yourself, your morals, other people, the universe, what can ever be, everything. It truly messes with you and makes you go mad.

I nearly had it all correct. But no one shall ever know, for as long as I hold the key to the answers.

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I am somewhat intrigued by philosophy. It fascinates me how truly irrational the human race managed to be up until the 20th century (and even during that century), and I have read many metaphysical texts - primarily those by Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Heidegger, Sartre and Kierkegaard, though I concede that I did so out of an interest in how humans thought in the past.

And I wouldn't say that I disregard every aspect of philosophy, for I am greatly interested in the philosophy of language and mathematics; but for all intents and purposes, it is my philosophical belief that philosophy is irrelevant and, at best, a hobby.
    I agree, most of philosophy is pointless. However, it can inspire creativity which can be applied to the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for reincarnation or a 'it's actually the matrix but nicer' style revelation
    See above
    I believe in something bigger but I'm agnostic at heart
    I do to an extent - but I believe in legacy and leaving behind things for others to further ideas I've worked on
    It's bitten my bottom so many times
    I think mathematically speaking it's unlikely to be unlikely
    yes
    yes
    yes
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way: can we know the answers to those questions? No, because they are metaphysical and thus beyond any meaning. Is there any reason to discuss that which cannot be known? No. Is the discussion of that which cannot be known anything more than inexorably fruitless speculation? No.

Anyone who speaks about this nonsense is being a metaphysical moron, militant atheists included (yes Dawkins, I'm looking at you).

Correct.
    I choose the red pill :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    I agree, most of philosophy is pointless. However, it can inspire creativity which can be applied to the sciences.
    Mathematicians, physicists and other scientists do not need to take a course in a creative/artistic subject to assist them in finding more elegant proofs or to produce more innovative solutions to complex problems; philosophy might promote creativity, but we can get along fine without it. The sciences tend to both require and develop a degree of creativity as the level of depth increases, certainly in the more passionate and capable student.

That said, I would recommend all scientists familiarise themselves with the philosophical works of Bertrand Russell (obviously not his later, useless essays), Ludwig Wittgenstein and Kurt Gödel.

ReputationRep:
    Mathematicians, physicists and other scientists do not need to take a course in a creative/artistic subject to assist them in finding more elegant proofs or to produce more innovative solutions to complex problems; philosophy might promote creativity, but we can get along fine without it. The sciences tend to both require and develop a degree of creativity as the level of depth increases, certainly in the more passionate and capable student.

That said, I would recommend all scientists familiarise themselves with the philosophical works of Bertrand Russell (obviously not his later, useless essays), Ludwig Wittgenstein and Kurt Gödel.
    Didn't say they did. I think you missed my point and actually agreed with me...

Philosophers can inspire scientists, scientists can inspire philosophers.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.