Turn on thread page Beta

Sun tan intensifier watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm looking quite pale and I'd quite like to combat this!
    Short of using fake tan and enduring all the hassle/streaks/stained clothes and bedsheets that result from this, I have heard of tanning oils or intensifiers like these:

http://www.superdrug.com/Sun-Care/Su...tanintensifier

I guess my questions is - do they work? Particularly the Piz Buin ones which look like they're not just After Sun, you use them as lotion....

Cheers for any help

ReputationRep:
    I think such products are usually referred to as 'tan accelerators'. They seem to be more popular with those who use tanning beds (sometimes with added bronzer or tingle) but you can versions to use outdoors.

The products themselves usually contain something called tyrosine, which is an amino acid said to stimulate melanin production. However there is no scientific evidence to prove increased levels of tyrosine in the body enhance tanning ability. If the body has too much tyrosine it's simply excreted, rather than used. That being said the success rate of such products is dubious. Before I knew this I tried one by Synergy Tan called Brown Envy - I can confirm it did nothing, even after almost a month in Florida. I still just went red like a lobster as usual and peeled when I got home. It seems to be quite a highly recommended brand so maybe it was just me but I wouldn't bother with anything similar in the future.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.