Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The reason I ask this is because of an unusually large number of students from the LSE Econ program were unable to get an internship in IB/Consulting. Did students at Oxbridge also have a tough time? I guess the city is still not recruiting students (for summer internship and full-time) as it used to.

What are your thoughts about this observation?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that learning to spell 'losing' might also be worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kushagra452)
    The reason I ask this is because of an unusually large number of students from the LSE Econ program were unable to get an internship in IB/Consulting. Did students at Oxbridge also have a tough time? I guess the city is still not recruiting students (for summer internship and full-time) as it used to.

What are your thoughts about this observation?
    Probably because many at LSE/Oxbridge believe they already have an advantage when it comes to interviewing and go in thinking they're already ahead of the pack because of their university.

Heavy representations from UCL/Warwick/Imperial this summer at quite a few banks.

However, i can sense this thread going the way of many of the other countless threads, so lets not go there.

ReputationRep:
    the definition of losing is spelling it loosing

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't care because you have no chance to ever study at LSE or Oxbirdge, looser.

ReputationRep:
    LSE as an academic institution - unrivalled

LSE as the best place to get into banking - the gap's getting narrower

ReputationRep:
    My opinion:

LSE still dominates, but simply due to numbers.

It's worth distinguishing between Oxbridge; Oxford seems to be losing its charm whilst Cambridge continues to do well.

UCL has seen a huge upswing in the past couple of years, as has Warwick to a lesser extent.

Imperial has seen greater contribution to roles other than quants.

In conclusion, LSE is now crowded out while UCL and Warwick seem to have the biggest upside going forward.

ReputationRep:
    It is much harder to differentiate applicants these days, and LSE chooses to emphasize alot on personal statements; the result of that, have a look yourself on the LSE forum, a good proportion of their current students are trembling before their exams.

ReputationRep:
    Lse is not losing its edge. Its all about the individual candidates

ReputationRep:
    Basically. No. It could be a bad year of students, it could be a year of students not so motivated for IBD in the current anti-bank climate. Stop talking when you have no reputable sample sizes.

ReputationRep:
    LSE has been very strong. The BB (trading) I am interning at, 30% of the interns are LSE. The story is similar across the board from what I gather.

ReputationRep:
    LSE as an institution is as powerful as ever, but I was recently talking to someone who works in HR (non BB HR) and she actually commented on how LSE finance postgraduates aren't what they used to be. Apparently, in the past anyone coming out of LSE's MSc in Accounting and Finance or similar was guaranteed to be a well rounded top class candidate, whereas now they get a few postgrads that don't really meet the expectations for an LSE student. This could be due to an increased number of finance-related degrees.
    Apparently the "immaculate" candidates are now found in LBS.

ReputationRep:
    LSE=the new Cass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfitrion)
    LSE as an institution is as powerful as ever, but I was recently talking to someone who works in HR (non BB HR) and she actually commented on how LSE finance postgraduates aren't what they used to be. Apparently, in the past anyone coming out of LSE's MSc in Accounting and Finance or similar was guaranteed to be a well rounded top class candidate, whereas now they get a few postgrads that don't really meet the expectations for an LSE student. This could be due to an increased number of finance-related degrees.
    Apparently the "immaculate" candidates are now found in LBS.
    LBS candidates won't be entering at an Analyst level. Since you need like 2-3 years experience to even a masters there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tentop6521)
    LSE=the new Cass
    ? I heard it was the new Cranfield?

ReputationRep:
    Despite the ambiguities and the reliabilities of league tables, there must be a reason why LSE is falling on every predominant international rankings as an institution, even so after criteria changes a few years back. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webstersss)
    Despite the ambiguities and the reliabilities of league tables, there must be a reason why LSE is falling on every predominant international rankings as an institution, even so after criteria changes a few years back. :curious:
    Research rankings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Research rankings?
    No no no, LSEs ranking as an institution, which probably included stuff like student satisfaction and other factors ect...

But LSEs research rankings was still at the top, thank you for reminding me that. But I'd be concerned if such specialized institution wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    from what i've noticed LSE presence tends to be heavier on the S&T side (probably because of the highly quantitative courses) than IBD. IBD is more diverse when it comes to universities (heavy presence from UCL, Warwick, Oxford, Bristol & European Unis:bocconi, sse, hec, etc )-LSE & particularly Imperial have low presence in IBD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    ? I heard it was the new Cranfield?
    why Cranfield?? that's even worst than "New Cass":eek:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.