Turn on thread page Beta

Linux and Sound watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ubuntu on netbook -- no sound at all even after a weekend of tinkering.
    Mint on old PC -- sound!
    Fedora on newer PC -- no sound

Have I just been unlucky? Anyway, I'm determined to get this Fedora install running smoothly. Playing a FLAC in either Rhythmbox or Amarok, everything obvious (volumes, jacks) seems fine, but nothing reaches the speakers. Nothing from Flash either.

Sound console isn't terribly helpful, but one odd thing is that it identifies the soundcard only as 'Internal Audio', when it's an Audigy of some stripe.

Mystifying why sound should be a stumbling block for this OS.

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhh sound is such a pain.

If you're looking for help, more information would be useful. Are you using alsa? OSS? ESD? Pulse? Something else I can't remember? My usual tactic is to delete and eradicate anything that isn't alsa, then scream a bit, and pray: PRAY that it had a chance of working.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by anycon)
    Sound console isn't terribly helpful, but one odd thing is that it identifies the soundcard only as 'Internal Audio', when it's an Audigy of some stripe.
    I think I might have identified the problem here. :p:

Unfortunately, Audigy are very poorly supported in Linux. Best thing to do would be to just find out exactly what chip you've got, and then start Googling for life stories about getting it to work under Linux. No doubt plenty of people before you have pulled teeth out over this problem, so your best bet would be to find them.

ReputationRep:
    Can you disable the internal onboard soundcard?

ReputationRep:
    I love people talking about sound on linux. It makes me happy that so matter how good it is for servers, you can't play a music file
    The multitude of sound subsystems is mildly hilarious as well.

(Original post by Dez)
    ...Googling for life stories...
    is probably your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    Never had an issue with sound that couldn't be solved pretty quickly; including audigy cards.
    the last problem that I did have with sound was actually due to the gfx cards, and the fact that they had hdmi out which Ubuntu selected for primary sound . Once disabled there were no issues.
    Like dEz I am also a little surprised, although not for the same reasons ....... , no, I am surprised that your internal audio chip is a creative audigy because I am struggling to think of a motherboard that has said chip............

so Op, what is your motherboard and what gfx do you have?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    I love people talking about sound on linux. It makes me happy that so matter how good it is for servers, you can't play a music file
    The multitude of sound subsystems is mildly hilarious as well.

is probably your best bet.
    My home server is a smart hi-fi system, running Linux. :ta:

It's just a case of tweaking it until it works. But WRT the OP's problem, possibly I'm misunderstanding the setup here? Is there only one sound card? Or is there an internal one too? Having two sound cards installed is never a good idea, you should disable the internal one in the BIOS if at all possible. :holmes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Fedora became a nightmare when pulseaudio arrived and system-config-sound disappeared... It seemed to have sorted itself out in more recent versions though. Either way, it will ALWAYS detect the one you don't want if you have more than one. Fact. I can't remember how I fixed it (and I'm Fedoraless pending my being bothered to shove a new hard drive in...)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help pplz. (I use ALSA with PulseAudio.) In this particular case, it turned out all I needed to do was update Fedora! With Fedora 12 (now 13) came a slightly newer ALSA, and ALSA had only just added support for Creative X-Fi cards (had a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum, not an Audigy). So sound plays, Flash runs: it's nothing like the experience I had with Jaunty on my NC10. NC10s come with a pretty bog-standard Realtek card, but it simply wouldn't work. Neither would YouTube.

I spent a while fiddling with fonts (freeworld etc) to make it look decent. Chrome is still ugly as hell, though. And no 'select all' when clicking the address bar irritates me (despite Ctrl+L): nerds may prefer to rewrite URLs, but everyday users don't. There should at least be an option for this.

Fedora's recommended, then, with one caveat: if you want a Windows partition, make it on installation! Otherwise you'll have to mess about with this. Logical Volume Management is wonderful for the serious and a giant chore for the lazy.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.