Turn on thread page Beta

Do body types exist? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As in "big boned", ectomorphic, endomorphic, aesthetic etc., are these determined by genetics and are they significant? Also I think metabolism plays an important role here, does it significantly differ in humans?

ReputationRep:
    well, take a look around

ReputationRep:
    The majority of scientists today generally consider such theories outdated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatot...rn_assessments

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are two body types: fat and not fat.

ReputationRep:
    Females: A body I would bang, A body I would not bang.
    Males: A good body, which I possess. Pathetic twigs/fatties basically vile men that take no pride in their appearance.

I find there is often a positive correlation between wealth and attractiveness.

ReputationRep:
    Yes as a rough guide.

ReputationRep:
    Strong post count to misogynist correlation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave_t)
    Females: A body I would bang, A body I would not bang.
    Males: A good body, which I possess. Pathetic twigs/fatties basically vile men that take no pride in their appearance.

I find there is often a positive correlation between wealth and attractiveness.
    You set up an account just to troll?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    You set up an account just to troll?
    I beg your pardon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave_t)
    I beg your pardon.
    Well exactly, don't you have anything better to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ned//)
    Strong post count to misogynist correlation.
    Have the gonads to quote me. I am currently hauled up in bed with a broken leg, my choices are limited.

ReputationRep:
    The classic somatypes I think are ridiculously over-simplistic and not really worthy of consideration. But yes, people do of course differ in a huge number of different physical parameters, often quite dramatically.

Genetics = everything, basically

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd say bone structure is the best way to tell where you are on the triangle.

It irritates me when massive blokes think they're ecto just because they was small and skinny when they was 12.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    Yeah I'd say bone structure is the best way to tell where you are on the triangle.

It irritates me when massive blokes think they're ecto just because they was small and skinny when they was 12.
    Explain please man. I'm always curious to know if I'm ecto or meso.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Don't forget that you may not be 100% meso/ecto/endo, rather a characteristics from different types but with the majority being one particular type.

For example, I'm called an ecto but I am fairly sure that if I ate 4,500-5,000 cals a day I'd put on a lot more weight than I want to, whereas I've read about 'hardgainers' who eat that and apparently don't add much weight, fat or muscle, at all. Although this could just be interwebs BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    tell tale signs for meso are thicks bones and wide clavicle.....the wrist isnt always the best tell tale sign..also large shoulders and forearms......i think in general they have thick legs but not always.....quite a few good strongmen and powerlifters with relatively skinny legs.....i have a mate that ticks all the boxes for meso, another mate ticks all the boxes but thick wrists but he has stupidly massive forearms and big hands.....my other mate has big hands and wrists but doesnt tick any of the other boxes and is an ecto.

ReputationRep:
    When you look at the variety of natural shapes people have it's hard to imagine that there aren't underlying body types which affect the way you're inclined to develop. I don't really know enough about it to make judgements, and I don't pay much attention to it because as soon as you start labelling yourself as an ectomorph or a 'hard-gainer' you're starting to hold yourself back, and even if you don't have the greatest genetics you should be training to get the best out of yourself.

For me, the body shape aspect that I pay more attention to is the length of the torso in the relation to the legs and the arms, because this affects the squat:deadlift ratio you should be expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    For me, the body shape aspect that I pay more attention to is the length of the torso in the relation to the legs and the arms, because this affects the squat:deadlift ratio you should be expecting.
    I find the length of torso affects how I do my deadlift (long legs and short torso) - I do a sumo deadlift instead, but I don't really get this. Could you explain? :o:

Anyway, I do think body shapes exist. I think I'm pretty much meso - broad shoulders, excel at high-impact high intensity exercise, narrow waist, well-defined shoulders, naturally quite lean and really really inflexible. Embarrassingly so. But I agree with you, Chumbaniya, people do tend to label themselves and use it as a reason why they are limited. There are some things that do have to be accepted - like bone structure, and where you will carry fat. After that, it's all fair game :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pearlearrings)
    I find the length of torso affects how I do my deadlift (long legs and short torso) - I do a sumo deadlift instead, but I don't really get this. Could you explain? :o:
    I'm not exactly an expert on this but in my experience it's almost always the case that someone with short limbs compared to their torso is better at squatting whilst someone with longer limbs is better at deadlifting. Obviously longer arms help help on the deadlift (less far to pull) and don't do anything for the squat, and also shorter legs help on the squat quite a lot (better leverage) but don't really do much for the deadlift (shorter legs mean you just start with your hips lower to have your shoulders in the right place). Or at least this is how I understand it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you're sort of right.....deadlift iis more to do with arm length compared to torso and legs.....hence why great deadlifters seem to hold their deadlift just above knee.

plus i think some people are just better at pulling than pushing and vice versa. me for example will always be hamstring dominant in my legs for pretty much any leg exercise.

there is a few examples that go against the grain like poundstone......who by looking at him you'd think is a squatting machine.....but is better at deadlift i think.....maybe down to injury.....or strongmen not caring about squat so much.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.