Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think Sunday Trading Laws, where large shops and stores have to close after 6 hours of trade on a Sunday should be scrapped.

Anyone agree/disagree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I think Sunday Trading Laws, where large shops and stores have to close after 6 hours of trade on a Sunday should be scrapped.

Anyone agree/disagree?
    disagree. They provide boost to smaller businesses

ReputationRep:
    Disagree.
    Because when I have a job I like starting late and finishing early on Sundays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)

Anyone agree/disagree?
    I think I disagree because this law does at least allow the smaller shop a chance for survival.

I'm just thinking about how the 24hr super Walmart stores destroy everything within a 20 mile radius in the US - like a nuclear bomb basically.

One of the few things I do miss about the UK is that it still has high streets with proper shops - butchers, bakers, etc. That's something worth protecting in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    When i was in England last year i didn't really believe it was true that 24hr stores, aren't 24hr on a Sunday :p:
    It was a pain in the butt
    That's just a weird law.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I disagree that the Sunday Trading Laws should be scrapped. Not only for the beneficial reason of allowing smaller businesses to take a little more business, but also the fact of tradition. We must preserve some identity of a Christian rest day. Regarding the fact that the developing 'Never sleeping earth' society we live in today provides no rest for anyone, it is truly essential that we keep such laws in place to prevent the expansion of large businesses and their overwhelming thirst to exploit success.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this nonsense has gone on long enough. Bloody christians.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, disagree. Is it really that hard to go 18 hours without buying something? Jesus wept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I think I disagree because this law does at least allow the smaller shop a chance for survival.

I'm just thinking about how the 24hr super Walmart stores destroy everything within a 20 mile radius in the US - like a nuclear bomb basically.

One of the few things I do miss about the UK is that it still has high streets with proper shops - butchers, bakers, etc. That's something worth protecting in my opinion.
    What butcher or bakers do you have that are open at 3am on a sunday?

ReputationRep:
    Shops should open twice as long on sundays than they do for the rest of the week - this means that asda 24 hour becomes asda 48 hour on sundays - Its the way forward people, worship the 3 for 2 deals, and reductions on damaged goods.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to scrap them. Keep them. It benefits workers of larger businesses allowing them more recreational time on the Sunday, and benefits smaller businesses in that they are able to compete with the larger stores as they are able to open longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    disagree. They provide boost to smaller businesses
    Those smaller businesses such as Tesco Express, Sainsburys Local and small Co-ops that are open 7 to 11? What actual small businesses are open on Sundays (on the average non-town centre high street, the only shop which bothers to open on a Sunday is the chain supermarket).

ReputationRep:
    Well it was originally because of religious reasons.. so the fact that shops open at all goes against the religious beliefs which were the issue in the first place..

But the shops need time at some point to restock.. the staff need to rest. I think it would be better for say supermarkets in specific regions to work together to ensure that at least one shop is open at any one time. I find it a right pain on a Sunday when I want milk/bread coz the supermarket right next to ours isn't open!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, for entirely selfish reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Sunday trading laws are outdated. These days people are working more than ever, and Saturday is usually the only time people get to shop. I often can't be arsed to go shopping on Sundays simply because I wake up late, have lunch and then there's only 3-4 hours to do anything. Maybe extending the hours to 10-6 would help. I'm sure that this will increase consumption which is a good thing, surely?

ReputationRep:
    agree.
    ridiculous that the state can tell you when you may or may not sell things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    What butcher or bakers do you have that are open at 3am on a sunday?
    Anybody that needs to buy a loaf of bread at 3:00am on a Sunday should plan their lives better.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody that needs to buy a loaf of bread at 3:00am on a Sunday should plan their lives better.
    :rofl: true

I didnt think the laws actually existed anymore. I thought it was just done out of tradition.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I mean. You're saying they compete on being able to stay open longer, but they don't stay open longer.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.