The Student Room Group

I find quitting smoking really easy

Is anyone else like this? I've slipped back into it mid exam season - and I just know quitting after my last exam is going to be ridiculously easy. (Done it once or twice before..... and yep it is a retard move to start smoking again... but it just happened)

My question is... how many cigs a day would it be before its actually difficult to quit? I peaked at around 10+ a day 2 years ago... but didnt find it very challenging.
Reply 1
I'm the same. For the past 4 years have only really smoked during exam period. It's a nice break from the library!

Never have any problems stopping it's just a case of stopping buying them. It is a disgusting habit though. I've smoked maybe 15 a day in the past and I don't think there's a set amount that would make it difficult to stop because I think it probably depends on the individual person and their willpower.
Reply 2
I think you've misunderstood what the word 'quit' means.
Reply 3
Exactly... I mean quitting during exams is suicidal... well any challenging meaningful exam anyway. In fact I don't actually enjoy smoking that much... its just there is slight physical dependence on it now... but kicking it again after exams will be easy. Makes me wonder what coke would be like to kick.
Reply 4
But... you havent quit. You just start doing it again. So, you havent quit.
Reply 5
Well I have and I understand the mental dependence most people can't get over which is why they fail quitting. I should point out that I slipped back into it whilst studying with mates/going out - **** excuse I know, but not from exam stress directly. Also not being able to gym is also a consideration i guess.
Reply 6
Well if you pick up the habit again then you've not exactly quit. I can see where you're coming from though, i can take it or leave it.
Reply 7
I'll be honest being wired on phets/caffiene/thermogenics and studying 12 - 20 hour days.... is one of the reasons... buuuuut it won't happen next time.
Reply 8
yeah i found it easy and i smoked like 10 a day
Reply 9
I smoke during term time, and don't find it a struggle to stop over the holidays. I've never completely given up though, so I don't know how it'll be. I guess I don't feel that addicted because of how easily I can just stop for a month or three months at a time.
I don't find smoking to be addictive.
Reply 11
I smoke regularly during exams. Added up I probably smoke 2 a day for 2-4 weeks. Nothing heavy just habit. Dirty habit but no one that bothers me as I probably smoke a 20 pack every 6 months. Anyone who gets dependent on cigarettes is a nut. They're not particularly pleasant.
Reply 12
Yeah, I can come off them for weeks without any trouble. I usually don't have more than 5 a day though
Yeah same. I quit in 2009 after smoking for a year. It really does have a detrimental effect on your health, and to be quite honest, it's the best decision I've ever made. Occasionally, I do get cravings, but they only last about 5 minutes.

Also, as others have suggested, quitting means not going back to smoking.
Reply 14
"...I do it all the time."
RedHotButter
Is anyone else like this? I've slipped back into it mid exam season - and I just know quitting after my last exam is going to be ridiculously easy. (Done it once or twice before..... and yep it is a retard move to start smoking again... but it just happened)

My question is... how many cigs a day would it be before its actually difficult to quit? I peaked at around 10+ a day 2 years ago... but didnt find it very challenging.

You can only quit once, what your doing is just postponing.

Latest

Trending

Trending